Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 11:14:52 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Embarassing Cinematic Moments that make you cringe!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
: Embarassing Cinematic Moments that make you cringe!  ( 23196 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #60 : August 23, 2006, 09:26:11 AM »

LOL yeah.  If that movie had been about heterosexuals do you think anyone would have given a crap? 

I've not seen "Crash", but I am just so glad "Brokeback" didn't win an Oscar - that took a load off my chest.

Completly off topic but:
All of you have to see Crash. Great movie (their is a thread about it somewhere), it does fully deserve its Oscar, especlayy since almost nobody saw it because of this terrible title...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #61 : August 23, 2006, 09:27:26 AM »

No, conservatives save their accusations of anti-semitism for anyone who critiizes the occupation of Palestine ;D
Never a truer word spoken! ;)

Christopher

« #62 : August 23, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »

I sense things could get ugly (if they aren't already--I've only read small sections).

This is the second thread I've come across today that I've been tempted to close. And if I decide to close it, it WILL remain closed.

You give an inch, everbody wants to take a mile... ;)

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #63 : August 23, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »

I sense things could get ugly (if they aren't already--I've only read small sections).
I'm curious,where? ::)
Maybe you should read the whole thread-a great conversation about Brokeback Mountain and Mel Gibson.We are all friends here and i'm 100% certain that the likes of Groggy,Jon0,Firecracker,Franksgrandson etc have been enjoying the thread as much as i have.A very adult ,constructive and informative thread if ever i saw one.
But anyway lets hear some more embarassing cinematic moments.
P.S. Groggy LOL :-*

« : August 23, 2006, 10:04:56 AM banjo »
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #64 : August 23, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »

I'm just saying if Gibson weren't drunk out of his mind when he said it, I'd be more offended.  Gibson comes from an anti-Semitic family but he hardly has a history of saying such things.

Basically though, he's a friggin' celebrity and I couldn't give a crap what he says either way.  I like some of Gibson's movies, that's all that matters to me.

"Occupation of Palestine" - okay you're really asking for it Jon.  ;D

I've been trying to think of an answer to this original thread, but I can't think of a good one that hasn't been mentioned. . .  ;)

Saturday nights with Groggy
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #65 : August 23, 2006, 03:21:08 PM »

he hardly has a history of saying such things.
He has a filmatic history of anti-certain things! ::)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #66 : August 23, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »

He has a filmatic history of anti-certain things! ::)

And should I care any more than certain actors/directors having a history of saying anti-American things?  I don't think so!  I love "The West Wing" for Christ's sake!  Gibson's a friggin' actor!

Jon0

« #67 : August 23, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »

And should I care any more than certain actors/directors having a history of saying anti-American things?  I don't think so!  I love "The West Wing" for Christ's sake!  Gibson's a friggin' actor!
This country's built on freedom of speech.  There's no such thing as anti-american speech

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #68 : August 23, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »

So he didn't direct Braveheart,The Passion or The Patriot afterall? ::)
All 3 very heavily biased historical films.Its not ok for Michael Moore to produce (in your view)false propaganda but its ok for Gibson? ;)
Being also an actor doesn't exempt him from being an arsehole ;D

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #69 : August 23, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »

This country's built on freedom of speech.  There's no such thing as anti-american speech

Criticizing the country as being inherently evil from its conception is anti-American. Criticizing a specific administration, political party, or policy is not.

Certainly though, there is anti-Americanism throughout the world.  Are you denying that fact?

I never said it wasn't okay for Moore to make his films, merely that I think they're BS.  He has the right to make whatever movies he wants.  But I also have the right to criticize his political views and ignore his films.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #70 : August 23, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »

And i have the right to interpret Gibsons personality and films as biggoted :)
I'm not having a dig but out of interest did this anti-American concept all begin with the hysterical McCarthy witch hunt era when everone everywhere was suspected of being a communist and sometimes prosecuted for "unAmerican activities" ::)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #71 : August 23, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »

Okay, I don't understand why this is so hard to break down:

- Anti-Americanism is hatred against America as a country.  Not just a leader, a policy, or a political group - criticizing all of America - the country, its system, its people - as evil.  Many authors like Chomsky and Zinn say that from its very founding was evil.

This does not mean they do not have the right to say it, although there's a very thin line between free speech and sedition.  It is not "un-American" to be anti-American.  You can be American and hate America, sure.  And I've never called anyone "un"-American, which is something else altogether.

Certainly though, anti-Americanism exists in other countries around the world - it's impossible for a rational person

- Anti-Americanism has been around since the creation of America, with John Adams passing the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 which made anything McCarthy did look like kid's stuff.

McCarthy was a fool but he was closer to the truth than most of his detractors.  The release of the Soviet Venona Documents have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that a majority of people McCarthy accused of being Communists were Communists, and many of them spies for the Soviet Union.  Hard to defend McCarthy himself as he was mostly grandstanding, but his opponents were much crueller to him than he was to his opponents. 

HUAC was initially convened in the '30s before the outbreak of WWII.  No one complained when they went after Nazis, fascists, and the Ku Klux Klan, only when they targetted Communists.  And as a point of fact (not significant, just a nitpick), McCarthy had nothing to do with HUAC, inasmuch as he was in the Senate and not the House of Representatives.

Jon0

« #72 : August 23, 2006, 03:56:29 PM »

Here I keep on logging into the wrong account that I first registered.  Here's what I just posted and deleted....then I'll read what you just wrote.

Criticizing the country as being inherently evil from its conception is anti-American. Criticizing a specific administration, political party, or policy is not.

Certainly though, there is anti-Americanism throughout the world.  Are you denying that fact?

I never said it wasn't okay for Moore to make his films, merely that I think they're BS.  He has the right to make whatever movies he wants.  But I also have the right to criticize his political views and ignore his films.
Who's criticizing this country as inherently evil?  Don't say Noam Chomsky, or Michael Moore, etc...they're criticizing policies.   Hell even Osama Bin Laden is criticizing policies.

This is just one of those words that the Right wing, and the establishment in general throws around to chill the atmosphere of free expression.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #73 : August 23, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »

Okay, I don't understand why this is so hard to break down.
Its hard for us Brits! :)

Jon0

« #74 : August 23, 2006, 03:58:57 PM »

Okay, I don't understand why this is so hard to break down:

- Anti-Americanism is hatred against America as a country.  Not just a leader, a policy, or a political group - criticizing all of America - the country, its system, its people - as evil.  Many authors like Chomsky and Zinn say that from its very founding was evil.

This does not mean they do not have the right to say it, although there's a very thin line between free speech and sedition.  It is not "un-American" to be anti-American.  You can be American and hate America, sure.  And I've never called anyone "un"-American, which is something else altogether.

Certainly though, anti-Americanism exists in other countries around the world - it's impossible for a rational person

- Anti-Americanism has been around since the creation of America, with John Adams passing the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 which made anything McCarthy did look like kid's stuff.

McCarthy was a fool but he was closer to the truth than most of his detractors.  The release of the Soviet Venona Documents have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that a majority of people McCarthy accused of being Communists were Communists, and many of them spies for the Soviet Union.  Hard to defend McCarthy himself as he was mostly grandstanding, but his opponents were much crueller to him than he was to his opponents. 

HUAC was initially convened in the '30s before the outbreak of WWII.  No one complained when they went after Nazis, fascists, and the Ku Klux Klan, only when they targetted Communists.  And as a point of fact (not significant, just a nitpick), McCarthy had nothing to do with HUAC, inasmuch as he was in the Senate and not the House of Representatives.
B.S.  So critizing "the system" in your own words....is 'anti-american'?  You sound like a bit of a closet totalitarian ;)

: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines