Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:42:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Dead Pool
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dead Pool  (Read 2532 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2006, 09:42:20 AM »

I remembered it worse. Maybe was the dub. Sure it is far better than Sudden Impact (of course, you had SL there). There are some weak spots: the action scenes you saw them all (though when DH reads the fortune cookie I rolled myself on the floor), the finale is very much like the one seen in SI (I'd gladly done without the journalist kidnapping and arrange a confrontation between DH and the culprit); and the toy-car trick risks to let fall everything that preceded and followed into the ridiculous.     
Still is the scene everybody remembers.
A pity, though because in the non-action parts the film was very strong, with a well-done discussion of the interference of media and the vulture-like attitude of same. With a different director (Eastwood himself) and a grain more of invention on the screenplay in the action scenes this could have been resulted in one of the best in the series. Also Eastwood here is better as an actor than in the other movies: he left apart some mannerism of his. (Also he confirms he delivers lines differently from what he does in Two Mules, for example: he blurs less, he's clearer. What he wants to sound like in the other movie I leave to native-speakers to judge: still the difference is marked) 

Christopher
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:12:39 AM »

With a different director (Eastwood himself) and a grain more of invention on the screenplay in the action scenes this could have been resulted in one of the best in the series.
Is titoli actually saying he thinks that if Eastwood had directed The Dead Pool, it would have been better? I don't recall seeing many posts like this from him. Wink Grin

I like all the Dirty Harry movies, but The Dead Pool is my least favorite. It's a fun movie, but you're right, it could have, and should have been better.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:30:09 AM »

I like all the Dirty Harry movies, but The Dead Pool is my least favorite. It's a fun movie, but you're right, it could have, and should have been better.

As Titoli stated "Sudden Impact" is by far the worst (with the exception of the line "go ahead, make my day").

"Dead Pool" is a fun romp as long as you dont take it seriously.
the Harpoon finale is worth the price of admission alone.
And is that a young Jim Carrey playing the rocker? I could be wrong (and probably am) but I have not seen the film in quite some time.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »

Is titoli actually saying he thinks that if Eastwood had directed The Dead Pool, it would have been better? I don't recall seeing many posts like this from him.

I don't know what you are specifically hinting at, but I simply mean that Eastwood would have done a better job than his Buddy Van Horn (well, I'm assuming Eastwood had nothing or also little to do with directing the movie, which is implausible).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 06:20:54 PM »

I don't know what you are specifically hinting at, but I simply mean that Eastwood would have done a better job than his Buddy Van Horn

He means you have said on a few occasions that Eastwood's directing is pedestrian.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:43:36 PM »

I don't know if I have used that word. I would describe as pedestrian the direction of the action scenes of Dead Pool (though we might discover that CE took command for those...).  But I also remarked that, occasionally, he does a great job (like in some scenes of Pale Rider). And I haven't seen yet his last movies.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM