Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 02:45:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Web Site Announcements (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone's birthdate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leone's birthdate  (Read 4416 times)
KC
Bandido

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2002, 09:00:52 PM »

It's still reported on the main page of this site that Leone was "born in 1921" (naturally enough, since that page was just taken over from the old Leone site).

We had long discussions about this topic on the old Leone board, and though we never determined where the error came from, I don't think there's any doubt by now that it IS an error. I think it's pretty well established that the correct date is January 3, 1929 (see Frayling's Sergio Leone: Something to Do With Death, p. 25). Can this FINALLY be changed?  Roll Eyes

KC

Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 09:34:34 PM »

According to the IMDB, January 3, 1929 is his birthdate. So I guess your right KC, it should be changed. Wink

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
KC
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 10:03:37 PM »

Well, as you probably know, Nightwing, the IMDb is often wrong, so you can't win any arguments by citing it as a source. In this case, the earlier birthdate was reported in a number of printed sources, including Richard Schickel's biography of Clint Eastwood (1996). That's why we had a long discussion about it in the early days of the old Leone board (I think the Webmaster of that site changed the date on his main page from 1929 to 1921 around that time) ... in late 1998 or early '99. Some people didn't want to be convinced ... including our old friend GMAT, who insisted that if Schickel said something, it must be right. But since it's a well-known fact that Enrico Morricone was born in November 1928, and since there's a picture of the two of them together as schoolboys, looking to be about the same age ... and since Frayling has now written the DEFINITIVE Leone biography ... it seems that it's time finally to get this correct, regardless of the original source of the error.

KC

Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 10:22:24 PM »

Thanks KC! The date on the homepage is now changed.

James
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 10:50:36 PM »

Thanks KC! The date on the homepage is now changed.
Grin

I swore I'd never come back till that was fixed! Well, I'm back! Thanks KC for setting it straight. Thanks Cal for the other infinite improvements!

KC
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 11:39:29 PM »

Hiya James! Welcome back on the Leone Trail!  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM