Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:33:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Big Jake (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Jake (1971)  (Read 8927 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »

Picked this up at the mall the other day, and mainly because Richard Boone was the main villian.

I figured since I'd never seen it in its entierty I'd give it a watch. Well it was pretty much crap which is what I feared.

Too much time was spent by Wayne yuckking it up with Patrick Wayne and Christopher Mitchum, it had the signiture barroom brawl that was typical of late Wayne Westerns, (it thankfully didn't have the bentonite mudpuddle fight), but it was way too long on dopey dialog and never gave Boone any real screen time to be a bad ass (which he can do very well) so it kind of fizzled out at the end.

Boone actually wore an orange poncho throughout the flick.

Landscapes were very nice and since it took place around 1909 it featured autos , motorcycles, and a machine pistol, I was expecting more but I got even less than I bargained for.

Score was your typical Hollywood score.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:57:32 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:26:10 PM »

The reason I like Big Jake is because John Wayne plays more of a tough character than in other of his modern westerns.
He was tough as nails in The Searchers and about the same in Liberty Valence.   Though he is milder in this one, it still as a little of the old flavor of those earlier movies. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:03:02 AM »

The reason I like Big Jake is because John Wayne plays more of a tough character than in other of his modern westerns.

Yea he plays a tough character, too bad they didn't give Richard Boone enough screen time to make him an equal bad ass to the extent that the audience might have thought that JW might not have survived. As it is filmed you have no doubt, just as you know the sun is gonna rise tomorrow that JW will prevail. 

Look at the contrast between this and say Unforgiven. Clint plays a gunman past his prime and you wonder throughout the film whether or not he's lost his touch so you really get a big pay off at the end of the film. Big Jake just doesn't do that.

Check out what Boone does in Hombre too see what I mean.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 07:07:38 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sackett
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:49:03 AM »

Boone in Hombre was terrifying.  The scene at the stage coach depot would be every peaceful man's nightmare.
He plays the kind of character that you cannot deal with except to kill, because if you try to reason with him he'll just walk all over you or kill you first.
JW is JW.  The movies of his that I find the most appealing are those in which he seems to step out of his persona and play a slightly off character
I would add The Cowboys to my list of JW favorites along with the others I mentioned.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »

Boone in Hombre was terrifying.  The scene at the stage coach depot would be every peaceful man's nightmare.

exactly  Cool

Tim
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:53:03 AM »

Big Jake is one of my favorite John Wayne movies, not just westerns.  I completely agree that Boone, and his gang for that matter, aren't given enough to do.  There was a lot of potential with that bunch of renegades, cutthroats (oh wait, wrong movie  Grin), but they're there in the beginning and basically disappear to the end.

And while Boone doesn't have a huge part, the scenes he has with Wayne are gems.  The dialogue between them is priceless, especially the "blow your head off" speech.  And the ending is good, although if you want a spaghetti influence, one of the brothers has to die, not just Bruce Cabot and the dog.

"What's your name?"
  "Jacob McCandles."
  "I thought you were dead."
  "Not hardly."

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 08:00:19 PM »

I like Big Jake, but I don't consider it great.  Yeah, there's the gun in the shower scene, an obvious copy of Tuco's bath scene.  There's a big, fat, bearded Mario Brega look-alike bad guy as well.  I liked having Maureen O'Hara as his wife.  But one of Wayne's better roles, but a wide gap below him Red River and the Searchers.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:16 AM »

Enough is not said about this Wayne picture and I can understand why. It's not particularly very good. The sole interest lies in the amount of violence that is in the film. Wayne pictures never had machete weilding villains or the use of squibs during a gunfight. This is the first of it's kind for Wayne.

I suppose the Duke's popularity was waning down after the onslaught of very violent westerns released in the 60's. So producers decided to cash in on this new craze by having Wayne appear in this surprisingly bloody genre picture.

Anybody else seen it?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »

Yeah, way back at the theater.  I found it OK.  There was a Mario Brega-like bad guy who was thought to be dead but still came at Wayne with a machete.  Wayne has gun in the shower, kills bad guy, copying from Tuco/Leone.  I liked when Richard Boone says to Wayne: "I thought you were dead" "Not hardly".

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 03:43:55 PM »

Boone is seriously underused and wasted in that flick.

Sackett
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 07:03:03 AM »

I like Big Jake because JW is tougher in it than some of the others he did and because Richard Boone is in it.  He could really be a scare.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 11:46:49 PM »

I like Big Jake personally. I grew up watching John Wayne. My dad is a huge fan of his so liking his films became the norm.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Tim
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »

One of my favorite later John Wayne movies.  I'll jump on the bandwagon, Boone is underused, but the scenes between him and the Duke are GREAT!  I love the dialogue between them, its just so perfectly western.  Also, a pretty good supporting cast, Pat Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Glenn Corbett, Harry Carey Jr, Bruce Cabot, and more than a few regulars of Wayne movies.  The DVD only includes the widescreen version but its a beauty.  And it was great to see the WHOLE movie after years of seeing it mangled on 24 Hours of the Duke on TBS.  I miss those marathons.   Cry

Here's a cool poster I found for Big Jake pitting Wayne against Boone.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:26:30 PM by Tim » Logged
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 02:28:47 PM »

That's a sweet poster Tim! I just love the old time movie posters. They blow today's away.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »

You said it all. The movie stutters until the arrival in town of Wayne and his sons. From then on is a crescendo and the final confrontation with Boone and his gang very good were it not for the idiotic duel one of the gang feels the need to improvise with Patrick Wayne and be killed.
Also, that motorbiking Mitchum reminded me of something...   

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM