Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:37:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wrath of God (1972)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wrath of God (1972)  (Read 7415 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:06:55 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069515/

On TCM at 4:00AM this morning was "The Wrath Of God" (1972) with Robert Mitchum & Rita Hayworth, I was recording some films before it and managed to catch about 15 Minutes of this Central American Rev film with Mitchun as a bootlegger disguised as a priest, too bad .

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:50:56 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »

It's a good one, joe, definitely look out for it.  I checked the TCM schedule and it's not on for a couple months, but check every couple months.  They usually show it as part of a tribute day to Robert Mitchum or Rita Hayworth, in her last movie.

Tim
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »

I found a couple good movie posters of The Wrath of God, just in case anyone needs some motivation in finding a copy.

The first one is French, but I thought it looked pretty cool, and the second one is full of all kinds of action scenes from the actual movie.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 10:44:29 AM by Tim » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:46:45 PM »

Yeah I've seen that poster on imdb. Great poster! I'll keep an eye out for it on ebay.

EDIT: Saw it. Riddled with plot holes but it's fun.
There is one OTT gunfight at the very end that should be on any top ten gunfight in American western history.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:44:32 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 11:51:29 PM »

Not to be confused with Werner Herzog's "Aguirre The wrath of God", "Wrath of God" is Ralph Nelson's third entry to his western "trilogy" (to my knowledge) and is a very entertaining film with more then just a few nods to Italo westerns.

Father Van Horn (Robert Mitchum) is a false Priest who after stirring up some trouble in a mexican village using a tommy gun ,which keeps in a duffel bag (shades of "Django"), is captured by the Mexican military. He is put up against a firing squad along with two other riff raff (an Irishman named Emmet and a fat buisness man named Mr. Jennings) who were selling guns and ammunition illegally. The trio are saved by Col. Santilla who spares their lives in return for a favor. Santilla asks his "unholy trinity" to kill a renegade general  by the name of De La Plata.

The trio disguise themselves in order to get close to De La Plata. Emmet and Jennings disguise themselves as mining engineers who wish to talk "buisness" with De la Plata. Van Horn disguises himself in a role that he has already proven himself worthy of...a preist. Too bad De la Plata has a SERIOUS dislike to a man of the cloth.

The film is a simple minded excursion but a well made simple minded excursion. The action scenes are well put together (especially the last gunfight) and the dialogue is very funny.

However the film suffers from plot holes and un-needed sub plots such as a mine cave in that goes nowhere and has no relevance to the plot what so ever.
Their are also some unwanted characters like a pack of mexican indians who wear stereotypical indian clothing you can buy at your local wal mart during the month of october. Their is also an indian princess who is a love interest to the Irish character Emmet, needless to say this was not needed either.

In fact the film centers itself to much on Emmet and not enough on Father Van Horn. I didn't find this aspect too appealing either.

It's faults don't get in the way of making this a nice simple minded excursion. But if you were to remove all the unwanted love scenes and that mining accident it would be a better view.

3 out of 4 stars.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:06:33 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

Tim
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:30:37 AM »

Glad to hear you liked it, Firecracker!  And I agreed with just about everything you said although I did like Ken Hutchison's Emmett Keogh, but would have loved to see more of Van Horne.

I can't explain why, but there's just something appealing about the movie.  The cast is pretty good, especially Mitchum, I love the musical score, and like firecracker said, the action and dialogue (very quotable movie, check out imdb) are top-notch.

Firecracker, didn't you just know Chela was going to speak at some perfectly timed, cheesy moment?   Grin  Anyways, the book is out there too for those interested in reading what the movie was based on.  It's a little different from the movie, especially the ending, but it was written by Jack Higgins so its a good, quick exciting read.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »

Actually Tim I didn't care much for the music. Didn't the mexican music in the main title theme sound too contemporary for 1914-1920 mexico? I prefer to have the revolutionary music from "Heads you die, tails I kill you". Perhaps a fan edit is in order? I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the more useless scenes either (the mine cave in for example).

SPOILERS

Nelson seemed too held back when making this. He saved all the violent spaghetti like elements (crucifiction, the cross that doubles as a blade, a cane sword) for the final gunfight while leaving us with table scraps with all that comes before it. If he would have tried to be more over the top it would have been a perfect film despite it's flaws.

And yeah the mute Chelo screaming at the most convenant time was to be expected. Wink

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:00:56 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »

This was just on this morning on Encore westerns and they are doing a repeat of it tonight at 8 pm.

If you miss that you can catch it on Movieplex at 9 pm.

Worth recording just for the ludicrousy of it all.

Ralph Nelson said it was intended to be cliched but I believe he was just making an excuse for making a bad movie.
Check it out.

My favorite of Nelson's westerns.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »

Recorded this tonight. Watched portions of it so far. Pretty good. What a cast. Anything with Victor Buono is at least worth one watch. He was awesome as the Devil in THE EVIL (1978) and also memorable as Count Manzeppi on THE WILD, WILD WEST tv show. The movie definitely has 'spaghetti' written all over it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »

4:45pm Nov 3 TCM Wrath Of God, The (1972)
A bootlegger and a defrocked priest join forces during a bloody Central American revolution.
Cast: Robert Mitchum, Frank Langella, Rita Hayworth, John Colicos Dir: Ralph Nelson C-111 mins, TV-14

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »

Definitely had spaghetti all over it the final gunfight especially, with a lot of religious iconography, entertaining 6/10.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:22:12 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »

Shallow fun, SW-imitating schlock, all worth mentioning has already been said. The biggest problem I had when I first saw it was the misguided conception it'll (at some point) turn into a comedy, which of course never happened. Hence the slight disappointment. It was neither original nor daring enough to be serious. As the story advanced they kinda pushed Emmet aside, which I didn't particularly fancy at the time.

5 or 6 out of 10

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:05:25 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM