Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 06:20:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATIA DVD Sells!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATIA DVD Sells!  (Read 4188 times)
alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2003, 12:50:54 AM »

i wasn't sure if this release was going to be the TRUE directors cut, so i didn't get it the day it came out. i was still researching.
last thursday(two days after the release) i was in the virgin records store in manhattan. they must have had about two hundred copies of the film. today(tuesday) i went there again. there were FIVE left. so naturally i quickly snatched one! i didn't want to take any chances considering that so far this was the only non-online store that i've seen the film in for sale. and i was very happy to see that this is indeed the TRUE directors cut! my search of several years has ended!

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 11:52:12 AM »

It's great that OUATIA has gone from being a commercial flop to one of the most wanted DVDs to a big retail success.If only Leone was around to see it.

alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 12:17:43 PM »

i totally agree with you! there is just one thing that i worry about. was the fact that they put deniros face on the cover the reason for that? i would hope not, but it was without a doubt done so that the dvd would sell better...

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 12:24:50 PM »

Possibly,but don't forget alot of the sells were by pre-order.I personally would have proferred the original design,without De Niro's face,but never mind.

alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 12:57:34 PM »

ah, but don't forget that the image of the cover was available a long time before the release. besides i was talking about the sales in virgin. i agree with you the original cover is stronger, but i'm just glad that they finally released a high quality version of the entire movie  on dvd!

Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 02:18:40 PM »

I think the cover is really good. The old VHS copy i have from 1986 is terrible. It had De niro's face top centre and the burned bodies of the gang below - Crap!! I would have loved that wonderful original bridge poster that hangs proud in my dining room, but hey, at least we get the bridge!!
I can see where they are coming from with De Niro's face though. The film is essentially about Noodles and his sad guilt ridden torment and I think this image reflects it.

"What's a Mook?"
alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 04:00:18 PM »

yeah i know what cover you are talking about. it is horrible. but the '89 US VHS release had a great cover i thought. eh who cares right? as long as the poster is not all that i have to show for my love for this great movie!

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 01:37:22 AM »

I also still have the old VHS coveo,yeah,the cover is awful,the film was released as part of a Gangster Movie series.The DVD is certianly better than that.i also have the poster up on a wall,but due to my wife it's in the room where I keep all my videos and DVDs.I was 'allowed'to have a framed postcard in the dining room,tho......

alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 12:20:38 PM »

have you seen the really nice stills on ebay? i would check them out if your family life prevents you from having poster up in the family space...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM