Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:49:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Comancheros (1961)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Comancheros (1961)  (Read 11888 times)
Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:06:07 PM »

Hadn't watched this in a while so I stuck it in the DVD player the other evening.
How I have always loved the 20th Century Fox intro music with the "Cinemascope Extension"  Smiley

The film was as enjoyable as ever and the music is even better than the Mag Seven.

On thing I hadn't noticed before. When the Duke (as Ed McBain) was signing in on the Sweetwater Hotel register one of the names already written in was "William Clothier". The DOP on the movie was the great cinematographer  William H. Clothier - always was a joy to see his name on the opening credits of any movie.

Afterwards I briefly checked the credits again and the Assistant Director's name was also on the hotel register. I wonder if any of the other names on it were a reference to anyone else.

When you consider today's movie credits which can run 10/15 minutes the crews on the older movies must think they got a raw deal.

Lots of memorable lines but my favourite is the Duke calling the Monsoor a "Lu-Lu"  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »

And Lee Marvin's caharacter steals every scene he's in. Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:13:05 PM »

The film was as enjoyable as ever and the music is even better than the Mag Seven.

I'll disagree with you there, but both scores do have similarities.  Personally though, I like Bernstein's score for Mag7 better.  It was roles like this for Wayne that made me wish he had done more comedic roles along the lines of Jake Cutter or GW McClintock.  Very good Duke western, and like cigar joe said, Lee Marvin steals his scenes as Tully Crow, another great western name.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 05:05:04 PM »

Hadn't watched this in a while so I stuck it in the DVD player the other evening.
I'm astounded that anyone would actually own this on DVD. After all, it's on AMC almost every other week.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »

I'm astounded that anyone would actually own this on DVD. After all, it's on AMC almost every other week.

Well, Dave, you will be even more astounded to hear that AMC is not available where I come from and the DVD was a present from a lady friend. Funny old world, isn't it?  Wink

Tim
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »

This one was on the History Channel this morning, Sunday, which isn't news in itself, but it was shown in.....WIDESCREEN!  Needless to say, I was surprised when I turned it on because even THC uses pan-n-scan on most movies.

So keep your eyes open for movies on The History Channel.  Sunday mornings they usually show some good historical movies, war and westerns, and if they start presenting them in widescreen all the time, it's for all the better!  Grin

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 10:31:47 PM »

This one was on the History Channel this morning, Sunday, which isn't news in itself, but it was shown in.....WIDESCREEN!  Needless to say, I was surprised when I turned it on because even THC uses pan-n-scan on most movies.

So keep your eyes open for movies on The History Channel.  Sunday mornings they usually show some good historical movies, war and westerns, and if they start presenting them in widescreen all the time, it's for all the better!  Grin

Are you serious?!?

Damn, and I missed it. Oh well.   Cry

Tim
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:19:16 AM »

Are you serious?!?

That was my reaction, I thought I was suddenly getting TCM here instead of the History Channel.  And this is a movie that needs to be seen in widescreen to appreciate it.  The pan-n-scan AMC uses is brutal.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:25:22 PM »

Isn't that like me saying I'm astounded anybody owns FAFDM on DVD, for the same reason?

Tim
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 07:27:32 AM »

Isn't that like me saying I'm astounded anybody owns FAFDM on DVD, for the same reason?

That's true.  AMC has showed FAFDM a ton of times since it premiered last winter/spring.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 03:10:42 PM »

That's another thing I hate about AMC, besides the obvious reasons, is that they show the same movie over and over and over and over and over again until it gets annoying. Then they stop showing the movie and they don't air it for another 2 years!  Angry

God how I LOATHE amc!!!!  Angry

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 03:19:35 PM »

That's another thing I hate about AMC, besides the obvious reasons, is that they show the same movie over and over and over and over and over again until it gets annoying. Then they stop showing the movie and they don't air it for another 2 years!  Angry

God how I LOATHE amc!!!!  Angry

TCM kicks so much more ass.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »

TCM kicks so much more ass.

It does. Uncut movies, no commercials, good classics ( not crap that came out last year and if it did it's good ), and best of all...widescreen.  Cool

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:54:23 PM »

It does. Uncut movies, no commercials, good classics ( not crap that came out last year and if it did it's good ), and best of all...widescreen.  Cool

I know, they rule so much. If anybody can preserve the original aspect ratio, it's TCM! TCM! TCM!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 09:59:02 PM »

also Osborn's intros and epilogues have nice tid bits of info.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM