Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 02:49:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Col. Mortimer's Wanted Poster
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Col. Mortimer's Wanted Poster  (Read 14026 times)
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »

Is the wanted poster that Col. Mortimer takes from the Tucumcari station , the one with $10,000 scribbled in, the same one he slides under the hotel door?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »

don't know without poping in the DVD

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 09:18:50 PM »

Is the wanted poster that Col. Mortimer takes from the Tucumcari station , the one with $10,000 scribbled in, the same one he slides under the hotel door?

Yes he removes it from the station after the station clerk claims that nobody has the guts to face the criminal.

At the station though there were two zeros written on the poster. When he slides it under the door the zeros are gone. It was a goof.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:32:37 PM »

At the station though there were two zeros written on the poster. When he slides it under the door the zeros are gone. It was a goof.

either that (a goof) or he had his own already, why else would he stop at Tucumcari?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 02:45:56 PM »

We can rationalize the goof by imagining Mortimer had another poster, but I don't think Leone wanted us to see things that way. The whole thing about taking the poster down, showing it to the bartender, and then sliding it under the door of the wanted man is a kind of "cool film" move. Otherwise, why bother to take the poster down? If SL didn't want us to think it was the same poster, he would have shown Mortimer taking out the poster when he tied up at the hotel.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »

We can rationalize the goof by imagining Mortimer had another poster, but I don't think Leone wanted us to see things that way. The whole thing about taking the poster down, showing it to the bartender, and then sliding it under the door of the wanted man is a kind of "cool film" move. Otherwise, why bother to take the poster down? If SL didn't want us to think it was the same poster, he would have shown Mortimer taking out the poster when he tied up at the hotel.

That's exactly the way I looked at it.

Beebs
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:02:15 PM »

Well, I disagree. Here's how I see it. Odds are its a goof but my rationalization is that he already had a poster being a bounty hunter and when he saw that poster at the station the talk from the ticket master is about how no one will try and get him. Well, without speaking, he tells the ticket master that he WILL get him by taking the poster down. What good's a wanted poster when the man's been caught?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:42:08 PM »

I'd say he took it as a souvenir (it would be something to chuckle over in his rockin' chair years) and used the one he had.  Cool

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 11:27:25 PM »

Well, without speaking, he tells the ticket master that he WILL get him by taking the poster down. What good's a wanted poster when the man's been caught?

That's how I saw it, too.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 03:25:22 AM »

I agree with Beebs explanation.
As a professional Mortimer does two economical actions which qualify him as such: the first, already explained by Beebs and Dave Jenkins, is that by removing the wanted poster he lets impressively know to the teller at the station (and of course to the audience) that he'll put an end to the criminal's career no-questions-about-that  (the teller of course will spread the news around and add to the Col.'s fame). The second is that sliding his own poster under the door, he gives a sign to the criminal that he's there for good. Had he used the retouched poster  there might have been an equivocal interpretation (especially by the audience): he's worth the retouched sum. Using his own, the message comes: your career stops at the smaller sum and you're worth just that.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:42:24 AM by titoli » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 10:23:58 AM »

The second is that sliding his own poster under the door, he gives a sign to the criminal that he's there for good. Had he used the retouched poster  there might have been an equivocal interpretation (especially by the audience): he's worth the retouched sum. Using his own, the message comes: your career stops at the smaller sum and you're worth just that.
A good reading.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »

bravo!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 02:10:06 PM »

Thanx. Now I wonder: did Leone and his screenplayers  deliberately let Mortimer use another poster for the reasons I explained or was this a lucky goof? My personal opinion and that the screenplay let the thing in the dark and that Leone grasped the thing while shooting. In any case I think it was deliberate, not casual.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:28:35 PM »

I agree with you probably a call on the set.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 04:49:23 PM »

The reasoning on the poster has helped me to lay bare an aspect which had always lurked at the back of my mind (I'd really like to remember whether it was already there during the first vision of the movie more than 40 years ago) and which is the reaction of the criminal to Mortimer's non-entrance. Now, I have always thought that for a criminal who has the guts to openly add two digits to his reward and who holds in his sway a small town counting on the complicity of the authorities and of the most important citizens (like the owner of the saloon) to shoot at the door and then starting an ignominous escape from an enemy about whose power he knows nothing (except, as noted, the sparse and effective message of the poster slid under the door) is contradictory. We are first made to presume that Mortimer has to do with a redoutable adversary, and then all he has to do is shoot him from a distance like a pigeon. This is the real goof of the sequence.
Or am I wrong?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM