Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:29:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Col. Mortimer's Wanted Poster
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Col. Mortimer's Wanted Poster  (Read 14331 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 06:32:24 PM »

Now, I have always thought that for a criminal who has the guts to openly add two digits to his reward and who holds in his sway a small town counting on the complicity of the authorities and of the most important citizens (like the owner of the saloon) to shoot at the door and then starting an ignominous escape from an enemy about whose power he knows nothing (except, as noted, the sparse and effective message of the poster slid under the door) is contradictory.

Shooting at the door was unexpected, the usual Hollywood sequence would be for him to draw his gun and open the door to confront Mortimer then a standoff with a bunch of verbal sparing before both shooting. The way it played out was most likely what you would expect from his caliber of criminal.

He probably had won a few challenges through his not doing the expected. When he doesn't hear Mortimer fall behind the door, he instantly realises that he's dealing with someone smarter so his exit out the window.

I didn't feel that Mortimer is dealing with a redoutable advisary by the fact that he added the two zeros to the poster, to me that smacks more of a bragodocious adversary, so it all fits in with the deflated outlaw meeting his ignoble end by getting out generaled by Mortimer.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »

He's a big fish in a small pond who enjoys posing, until a real shark come along......

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »

You don't get a reward for that. He's not simply a town bully: that could have been taken care by the town sheriff. He's a criminal.
What is missing is the confrontation with Mortimer that might have justified the escape. The goof is in the fact that he doesn't wait for the result of the shooting at the door, if I remember well: he shoots and escapes: and that doesn't add up.
BTW, this justifies all the more the use for the unretouched  poster, as it qualifies the bearer of it for a professional as he's got his own. But I don't think that the fact that he can presume he has to do with a professional can by itself justify his behaviour: he knows professionals will be after him. And he doesn't know apparently how a professional is better than him until he's shot in the head.    So why escape?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »

You don't get a reward for that. He's not simply a town bully: that could have been taken care by the town sheriff. He's a criminal.
What is missing is the confrontation with Mortimer that might have justified the escape. The goof is in the fact that he doesn't wait for the result of the shooting at the door, if I remember well: he shoots and escapes: and that doesn't add up.
BTW, this justifies all the more the use for the unretouched  poster, as it qualifies the bearer of it for a professional as he's got his own. But I don't think that the fact that he can presume he has to do with a professional can by itself justify his behaviour: he knows professionals will be after him. And he doesn't know apparently how a professional is better than him until he's shot in the head.    So why escape?

Maybe he just has killed a few old men that can't fire a gun anymore? Which is why he is a coward and runs at the sight of a Bounty Hunter (any bounty hunter).

As for him being "ballsy" by adding the zeros...it just shows he is a show off.

He talks the talk but can't walk the walk.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »

Maybe he just has killed a few old men that can't fire a gun anymore? Which is why he is a coward and runs at the sight of a Bounty Hunter (any bounty hunter).

Doesn't the sheriff know it? And he doesn't run at the "sight": he doesn't even see who's behind the door. He sees Mortimer only after he falls from the horse. And then, with another goofy change of attitude, he doesn't keep on with the escape, but does what we (well...me) would have expected from him to do from the start. Only this time with all the disadvantages of a gun vs. a rifle. Which it is the very reason why he's made to try with the escape.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »

Doesn't the sheriff know it? And he doesn't run at the "sight": he doesn't even see who's behind the door.

He can pretty much guess it is a Bounty Hunter after he sees the wanted poster.

Does the Sheriff know? I'm sure...but as we saw in "White Rocks"...not all sheriffs are courageous now are they?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 03:46:20 PM »

Does the Sheriff know? I'm sure...

If the sheriff knows, he must know whether he's a coward acting tough or not.

He can pretty much guess it is a Bounty Hunter after he sees the wanted poster.

Sure, but a criminal doesn't run at a guess...especially if he's been inviting it all the time.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »

Sure, but a criminal doesn't run at a guess...especially if he's been inviting it all the time.

The guy strikes me as a dumb-ass, a dumb-ass criminal,  or a dumb ass lunatic, which may be why the sherriff stays out of the way. I think it works out just fine in my opinion.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 08:13:25 PM »

Well, it seems like I'm alone on this, so probably I'm wrong.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 10:26:28 PM »

I just never read him as a major criminal.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 10:42:11 PM »

Neither did I. But a criminal he is.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 08:12:25 AM »

A lot of talk about the sheriff. What sheriff? How do we know the town even has one?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 09:51:40 AM »

If the town hasn't got one, then the county or whatever it has jurisdiction on it. The train station and that big saloon, with whore, make me presume Tucumcari is not a ghost town.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 10:18:15 AM »

Not a ghost town, but not every thriving town in the West had full-time law enforcement, either. As a matter of fact, a town without a regular peace keeper would be just the place a bandit (especially a cowardly bandit) would go. And the reason that bounty hunters (and Pinkertons) were necessary, of course, was there was never enough law in the West to begin with.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 10:41:42 AM »

It would be interesting to know who nailed the retouched poster on the hut.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM