Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:53:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Col. Mortimer's Wanted Poster
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Col. Mortimer's Wanted Poster  (Read 14040 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »

Or why it was there in the first place.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 03:15:38 PM »

That's easy: to be retouched.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »

Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2006, 09:08:43 PM »

Not a ghost town, but not every thriving town in the West had full-time law enforcement, either. As a matter of fact, a town without a regular peace keeper would be just the place a bandit (especially a cowardly bandit) would go. And the reason that bounty hunters (and Pinkertons) were necessary, of course, was there was never enough law in the West to begin with.

If the town does'nt have a sheriff then who was the fellow that gave Mortimer the cash for the bounty?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006, 09:11:16 PM »

Sure, but a criminal doesn't run at a guess...especially if he's been inviting it all the time.

Well...he was caught with his pants down.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2006, 06:59:17 AM »

Not all towns out West have sheriffs especially back then, sometimes just the counties had sheriffs and they rode circuts out to the various towns. Some towns had part-time marshals, there wasn't any iron clad systems, like today. Some towns just had lock ups where they put drunks or rowdies to be collected.

Mortimer could have gone to whatever the territorial county's seat was at that time.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 07:01:05 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2006, 09:37:39 AM »

Right, we don't know where Mortimer collected the bounty. It could have been somewhere else entirely.

BTW, on titoli's very clever reading of the whole sequence, Mortimer must have gotten off at Tucumcari expressly for the purpose of getting Guy Calloway. That would be consistent with him having another copy of the poster. I am willing to concede this understanding, as it accounts for what must otherwise be considered a goof: the wanted poster without the extra zeros penciled in. However, the usual reading of the scene holds to the notion that there is only one poster. That being the case, why did Mortimer get off the train? Prior to titoli's explanation, I had always assumed Mortimer got off for another reason not explained, and then only went after Calloway when he saw the poster (easy pickings). Anyone else ever seen things that way?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »

Yea I suppose I may have looked at it that way the first time too. But it makes more sense with titoli's insight and what we learn of Mortimer later.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »

It is not that I'm unwilling to consider myself very clever, but I always understood the sequence the way I explained it, even without getting wise to the poster; and can't understand how it can be read otherwise, i.e. that Mortimer gets wise to Calloway only after he sees the poster. Because then we wouldn't know why Mortimer forces the train to a stop in a place where it usually doesn't. And as Mortimer is a Bounty K. what else he should get there for?
Also keep in mind that, as Leone loves to tell geometric stories, the episode of the Colonel must be read as parallel to the one of Il Monco, where  you have the Bounty Killer also arriving in some godforgotten place after a prey.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »

I don't know how have I seen it when I was watching it, but surely Mortimer must have good reason for stopping the train, and as bounty killer probably had reason connected to his job. So I agree completelly with this explanation.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 12:16:37 PM »

Of course, Mortimer could be after Calloway without having a poster of him. That's another way to read it: he stops the train at Tucumcari because he already knows Calloway is there, then he sees the poster, takes it, shows it to the guy in the hotel, slides it under the door, etc. This would a reading that uses only one poster. You don't need a two-poster theory unless you notice the one slipped under the door is missing the extra zeros, so titloli, don't be so modest.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 01:02:19 PM »

No, it isn't a matter of being modest but of not complicating things beyond what's acceptable. The "double poster" could have been a touch of genius on Leone's part only if he had intended the reason behind Mortimer's arrival in Tucumcari to be murky. Once we are made to naturally assume (I always did and, I'm willing to assumeme, most of the audience did too) that Mortimer is there because of Calloway, then it's only consequential that he's got his own poster and that he slids it under the door to let Calloway know that a professional is on the other side of the door. But I can say that, even had the poster slid been the retouched one, Mortimer could have arrived in Tucumcari only because of Calloway. 

But the thing that was not said about the poster (and it should have been the first, unless there was another topic on this) is the fact that the face on the poster has nothing to do with the face of Calloway, thus differing as to precision from that of Cavanaugh and Indio. Of course, the explanation is that Leone had given the part to somebody else (maybe one of the trio of Cavanaugh's associates?) but was convinced by the incredible face of the actor playing Calloway to give the part to him.   

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »

Anyone also notice that the Poster stays flat after pushing it under the door. probably something it wouldn't do if it was rolled up, like the one he shows to the Barman. That one rolls back when he takes his hand off it, mind you I think it is rolled up in his coat..have to watch it again...any thoughts?Huh

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

You spotted the real goof, bravo.

That leaves some alternatives:

1) That the unretouched poster was chosen because it hadn't been rolled like the other one (assuming it was: we don't see Mortimer roling it up but we must assume it is as it would check with being put in the inside of his cloak as we don't see or hear him putting it in the bag).

2) that between the sliding under the door as seen from the corridor and the shot from inside the room there's a narrative hiatus during which the colonel takes time to straighten the poster or to change it with his own. But if he had his own we must assume it had to be rolled up or anyway plied, but the poster doesn't show any signs of previous use.

3) That Leone meant the retouched poster to be slid but had to use the unretouched one to make if fit. 

Now, if you ask me, I think alternative number 3 is the most likely. Which goes to show I wasn't that clever after all.

Still, poster or not poster, Mortimer arrives in Tucumcari after Calloway.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2006, 04:53:48 PM »

Anyone also notice that the Poster stays flat after pushing it under the door. probably something it wouldn't do if it was rolled up, like the one he shows to the Barman. That one rolls back when he takes his hand off it, mind you I think it is rolled up in his coat..have to watch it again...any thoughts?Huh

ICE

Another thing....when he kicks the door open he walks over the poster, and again on the way out......He doesn't pick it up, so does he not need it anymore cause he already has another?Huh

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM