Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:55:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lemonade Joe..a review
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lemonade Joe..a review  (Read 8624 times)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:56:45 AM »

Lemonade Joe (Limonádový Joe aneb Konskáopera) (1964)                                                     

Directed by
Oldrich Lipský

Cast of Characters
----------------------------
Lemonade Joe
Doug Badman   
Horáce Badman aka Hogo Fogo --> (Master Criminal of the Wild West)
Tornado Lou
Ezra Goodman
Winnifred Goodman
The Pancho Kid
The Banjo Kid

"This film is dedicated to the rough diamond heroes of the Wild West who avenged wrongs and defended the Law."

Lemonade Joe is among the most inventive...strangest..silliest movies I've ever seen.... blending singing cowboys with Looney Tunes, Road Runner cartoons.., Dudley Doright, Snidely Whiplash...with dashes of Tom Mix, Gene Autry, & Popeye.........into a genuinely affectionate spoof and an homage to old time American Westerns..as well as a biting satire of American capitalism.

To be honest...It's also occasionally tedious...full of stupid jokes, and silly sight gags.

Originally released in 1964...hitting the United States in 1966......Lemonade Joe is the clean living gun fighter who drinks only Kolaloka lemonade and takes on a town full of whiskey drinking cowboys. It's a musical comedy featuring the good guys in white, the bad guys in black, nutty saloon fights, bank robberies, & improbable shootouts.

Director Oldrich Lipsky began his career as artistic director of Prague's Satirical Theater and went on to make several film comedies.
Inspired by silent comedy ...This movie is utterly bonkers, from start to finish..  There are a lot of musical numbers, most of which are great fun....or---> really bad songs both in sort of English and Czech..depending on how you look at it. 

There are some wonderfully goofy songs.......such as "When the Smoke Thickens in the Bar"; "Do You See My Moist Lips?", sung by sultry saloon singer Tornado Lou.."Arizona, Where All Good Men Come From" warbled by the lovely Winifred.

A number of animation sequences mixed with live action add to its cartoon-like sweetness...Joe’s theme song is sung in kinda, sorta faux English, sounding like a mixture of ‘Happy Trails To You’...& "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prai-ree"....as he rides along an astonishingly surreal animation aided landscape.

It’s shot in black and white, but is toned in shades of yellow, pink and blue. The effect is very much like watching an old tinted silent movie.

Karel Fiala, a star of operetta, stars as Joe...... the ultimate good guy hero with a flashing smile, strong character, and dead on accuracy with a sixgun.

The plot? uh..well...Doug Badman, owner of the Trigger Whisky saloon, controls the small Arizona town of Stetson City.
When temperance crusader Ezra Goodman (yeah..that's right ...Badman & Goodman), and his beautiful daughter Winnifred, are menaced & threatened while preaching abstention from whiskey, Lemonade Joe shows up to save the day.
Badman and his evil brother Horace (alias Hogo Fogo, "Master Criminal of the Wild West" ) fight Lemonade Joe for control of the town and the drinking profits.

Sharp viewers will recognize several winks & nods to "My Darling Clementine"..."Destry Rides Again"...and the maestro..Sergio Leone.

"Lemonade Joe" isn't the kind of movie that everyone will fall head over heels for....it's a farce that some people are gonna love...some are gonna hate...but most will agree that they've never seen anything quite like it..& aren't likely to see again.

I've included a short clip...hope you enjoy it  Cool

-------> Click here to watch lemonade-joe <-------

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 07:43:55 AM »

That doesn't really look like my type of movie. But I like the song.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 07:55:31 AM by The Peacemaker » Logged

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:43:25 AM »

I - LOVE - THIS - FILM!
It's the funniest film I've ever seen, I guess... or maybe one of the funniest films. I'm not sure whether some of the jokes aren't ruined or diminished by translation in English... but you seem to like it though.
I'm glad you also noticed Leone in it! I was afraid whether I'm not only too crazy about him to see him everywhere...
Do you know that the fight in the begining was real fight? One of the actors in it (that one who is kicked by Grimpo) said it.
And "surreal animation aided landscape" is called Fata Morgana Valley. Wink It was shot in some quarries, I think.

BTW, I enjoy it, though I don't know much of what you think it is parodised in it... or maybe because of that? And most people here in the Czech Republic probably don't know it, and still it belongs to our classics.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:55:58 AM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 12:00:34 PM »

Is Leone in it? Souds like a fun movie to watch. Full of spoofs. I like the poster design too. Good color. Is this movie available on DVD?

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:39:37 PM »

Is this movie available on DVD?

Yes...I took the above clip from the DVD released in the USA from Facets Video.
There's also a Czech import DVD...that's reported to be a better presentation...xploited cinema carries it.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:46:52 PM »

Great! Thanks for the info.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »

Yes...I took the above clip from the DVD released in the USA from Facets Video.
There's also a Czech import DVD...that's reported to be a better presentation...xploited cinema carries it.

I've read that some scenes were missing in the American release... on the Czech there are all, those released in America with dubbing and those that weren't with subtitles. (But I don't have the DVD, though I wish I had)

BTW, I'm glad you posted this. If you hadn't, I'd maybe have done it myself, but it's better from American point of view. Wink

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:27:36 PM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 03:03:44 PM »

I've read that some scenes were missing in the American release... on the Czech there are all, those released in America with dubbing and those that weren't with subtitles. (But I don't have the DVD, though I wish I had)

BTW, I'm glad you posted this. If you hadn't, I'd maybe have done it myself, but it's better from American point of view. Wink

Oh no, is American DVD a cut version with dubbed audio? That's discouraging. But I will try to rent it anyway.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 03:09:11 PM »

Oh no, is American DVD a cut version with dubbed audio? That's discouraging. But I will try to rent it anyway.

If you manage to find that Czech version, you probably can watch it only with subtitles. Which I recommend, because the voices are great!

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »

Not at all...it's taken from the theatrical print...& is subtitled in English.
The Czech DVD is just considered to be of higher quality.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »

Not at all...it's taken from the theatrical print...& is subtitled in English.
The Czech DVD is just considered to be of higher quality.

Good news!
Yes, I've read that the DVD has pretty good quality. And interviews with the actors.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »

So, I can still see it with English subtitles? That's better. There is a video retal store that specializes in foreign films in my town. They may have this fillm. And how does Leone appear? Somebody impersonates him? Or as an animation?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 03:57:36 PM »

So, I can still see it with English subtitles? That's better. There is a video retal store that specializes in foreign films in my town. They may have this fillm. And how does Leone appear? Somebody impersonates him? Or as an animation?

No, his trademarks, like close-ups. Sorry to tell you he's not there in person - it would be cool. Grin
There's also a wanted poster scene, that could be inspired. But FFDM was released after it... Undecided

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »

No, his trademarks, like close-ups. Sorry to tell you he's not there in person - it would be cool. Grin
There's also a wanted poster scene, that could be inspired. But FFDM was released after it... Undecided

Okay, I get it. You can see Leone's style parodied. If Leone got an inspiration for the wanted poster from this film, that would be funny. I'll check with my video store.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »

If Leone got an inspiration for the wanted poster from this film, that would be funny.

It would. But it isn't so similar, only in some aspects.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM