Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:21:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  any1 seen Salo?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: any1 seen Salo?  (Read 2810 times)
Kurugen
« on: August 29, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »

Wrong place to ask but i going to.Earlier today me and my friends were talking about the craziest movies we seen.One of them said they saw Salo.I asked what its about and i rather not get into the plot on these boards.Im asking for any comments good or bad.

P.S. People are more mature on these boards than IMDB so im not going to ask there.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:25:04 PM »

I was in your position about last year. It sorta is worth it to see, but it pretty much is just a pretentious art film and one of Pasolini's lower tier movies. It's very pompus actually, and not all that shocking to be honest.

People just really overrate because it is artsy and political, but it's pretty low brow with some philosphy floating around.
There are however SOME powerful scenes.

If you really want to see something that lives up to it's reputation check out Cannibal Holocaust. Not only is it very disturbing and seems real, but it has a decent message.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Kurugen
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:33:34 PM »

I see.I heard about Cannibal Holocaust and plan to buy it if i ever get 30 bucks but Salo was on ebay for 10 bucks.So im in a akward position.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 12:16:30 AM »

Not to hijack the thread, but... What Pasolini movies are worth seeing if one enjoys quality Italian cinema?

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:47:55 AM »

Pasolini was a poet in Cinema. He had a style of storytelling nobody can copy. Even when he used non-professional actors, their dialog sounded so poetic. It's a magic. Salo is a horrifying story told in his poetic way. However, I do not wish to see this film again as long as live. I can stand Greenaway's "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover." But not Salo. The fear I felt from this film is intolerable.

My favorite Pasolini films are Oedipus Rex, Gospel According to St. Matthew, Medea, Teorema (music by Morricone) and The Decameron. These are all best of Pasolini.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 01:55:26 AM by Sanjuro » Logged

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:42:40 PM »

Wrong place to ask but i going to.Earlier today me and my friends were talking about the craziest movies we seen.

Crazy is not a word I'd associate with SALO. I watched it last year and, although I'd consider myself broadminded, I found it to be distasteful in the extreme. Some of the scenes were unwatchable and, like Sanjuro, I would never look at it again, either.
If you look at the "plot" overall it certainly provides an interesting insight into human behaviour given a specific set of circumstances and maybe Pasolini felt that the only way he could get his message across was to show that behaviour in all its "glory" but I don't think anyone would walk away from this movie other than in disgust and dread.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 03:22:46 PM »

I saw SalÚ when released, then on TV (when it was still possible for these things to be aired) and on dvd. And it grows more boring with each view. Unredeemable.
As I've already written, my favourite P.'s movies are the shorts La ricotta and Cosa sono le nuvole; and Accattone.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »

If you look at the "plot" overall it certainly provides an interesting insight into human behaviour given a specific set of circumstances and maybe Pasolini felt that the only way he could get his message across was to show that behaviour in all its "glory" but I don't think anyone would walk away from this movie other than in disgust and dread.

I think there are a handful of Bernardo Bertolucci movies that show this a lot better.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 10:34:31 PM »

SALO is a very striking film for all its disturbing imagery many of the scenes are quite beautifully shot. I must say coming from someone with a cast iron constitution SALO is probably the only film that made turn away and question why I was watching.

The plot is simply DeSades writings transposed to post WW2 Italy. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is available in an excellent 2 disc set in a hard box case for $20 bucks online from Grindhouse Releasing. It almost didn't get released as 4 printers refused to print the inside cover for its offensiveness. MEN BEHIND THE SUN is another movie that will have you reeling long after you've finished and it's a true story (and just barely scratches the surface)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM