Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:23:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead (Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo)(1971)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead (Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo)(1971)  (Read 7343 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2006, 03:47:41 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066240/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/prega_il_morto.htm

This was already reviewed by Firecracker in his general topic.

Anyway I don't find not even the last part so thrilling. The film is ambitious, which is paradoxical as it is one of the cheapie shot in the roman (or whatever part of central Italy it is) country. The attempt at a psychological development of the storyinstead of one action-based fails because the screenplay is weak, there's no work whatever on the individual characters but only some cliched filled actions and dialogues. Even te more action-filled (to a point) second part is filled with clichés to the brim.
I said the movie is a cheapie. Still it is not as cheap as some contemporary Miles Deem efforts. What strikes more in the movie (somebody here might laugh, I know it) is the visual allure of the scenes in the open. I think that the director took pain in finding some zones which look pleasing to the eye, though of course they can't compare not even remotely not with the original (we are supposed to be near some part of the mexican border) but not even with those to be found in Almeria or near Madrid (those for Django Kill). The director shows continuously a sense of composition and for the colour which is very hard to find in SW.
And then there's Kinsky: he gives himself completely, but without exaggerating, to a character which has all the chances for his over the top mimics. The italian voice is different  from the usual one but fits. The movie so is to be watched for these elements (I think Kinsky is a sufficient reason), though it is a pity that the story was not better built and the characters more developed.
The music : competent and uninspired.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »

This was already reviewed by Firecracker in his general topic.

ya didn't have to mention it.

I was a bit harsh last time jumping all over you for the "Seven dollars on the red" review.
I apologize.

Isn't the big snake in this film the weirdest looking thing you have ever seen?

The quick sand scene was quite good.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:05:06 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:32:57 PM »

I was a bit harsh last time jumping all over you for the "Seven dollars on the red" review.
I apologize.

Uh? I remember I had a kind of discussion with Banjo. Were you in it too? I don't remember it, I swear. It seems that in these web boards everybody is taking too seriously what other people write. I mean, I am here to give infos and opinions and taking them. The rest is just blabber. Especially in a board like this where we are (thank god) a restricted number and everybody, more or less, know each member.

But just because of that fact I presume you will agree that it is better to open up a thread for every single movie than doing meat-loaves where reviews of different flicks cumulate with other contributors reviews. This makes consultation easier. Exactly like it should be better not to open up copy-cat topics. Of course, sometime the search function doesn't work well or it is used improperly. Still I think that with the moderators help it should be easy to keep the board in order.

I would like to see every SW  have a thread and make this the reference tool in english for SW on the web. I think it can be done. To pass judgements on the  500-600 SW's ever produced should be done in a pair of years, shouldn't it?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »

we have our work cut out for us,   Shocked

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »

But just because of that fact I presume you will agree that it is better to open up a thread for every single movie than doing meat-loaves where reviews of different flicks cumulate with other contributors reviews. This makes consultation easier. Exactly like it should be better not to open up copy-cat topics. Of course, sometime the search function doesn't work well or it is used improperly. Still I think that with the moderators help it should be easy to keep the board in order.

I would like to see every SW  have a thread and make this the reference tool in english for SW on the web. I think it can be done. To pass judgements on the  500-600 SW's ever produced should be done in a pair of years, shouldn't it?

Agreed. But if you don't mind I think I'll continue with my system. When you make another one of your individual reviews of sw that I happen to have already, I'll just transfer it to your thread.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 10:11:23 PM »

we have our work cut out for us, 

It is just that I think it is better doing things systematically. It saves time in the long run.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 05:06:33 AM »

Anyway I don't find not even the last part so thrilling. The film is ambitious, which is paradoxical as it is one of the cheapie shot in the roman (or whatever part of central Italy it is) country. The attempt at a psychological development of the storyinstead of one action-based fails because the screenplay is weak, there's no work whatever on the individual characters but only some cliched filled actions and dialogues. Even te more action-filled (to a point) second part is filled with clichés to the brim.
Saw this yesterday,wasn't expecting too much from what i've read and Titloli is spot on here.The only thing that made this watchable was (a substantial one for a change) Kinski's performance.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 08:16:13 AM »

If this  is (and everybody here or elsewhere seem to concur it is) a notable performance by Kinsky, then you shouldn't need so many inputs to see how in "And God said to Cain" he is below under this par.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 08:28:24 AM »

If this  is (and everybody here or elsewhere seem to concur it is) a notable performance by Kinsky, then you shouldn't need so many inputs to see how in "And God said to Cain" he is below under this par.
But we haven't always agreed on Kinski's performances eg Great Silence Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:29:54 AM »

I remember my main complaint was Trintignant's casting. Kinsky was excessive, but still more in line with the figure he always cut than he is in "Cain".

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 01:15:57 AM »

Probably the best scene is where Kinski prepares to sleep with the rich snobbish woman and sees just what type of character she really is, then proceeds to have all his men take turns with her while he stands watch outside the cave. Although nothing is shown you get the impression the villainous characters feelings can be hurt too.

BTW the worst movie I've seen Kinski in is MAN CALLED KING. He absolutely sleep walks through this and his death scene is probably the worst in history. The only recommendation is the excellent main theme which deserves to be on a better movie.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 06:17:45 AM »

And here's Firecrackers review:-

Review for "Shoot the living, pray for the dead"

while this wasnt a terrible film(as I thought it would be) it aint that good either.

Dan Hogan(Kinski) is wanted by texas rangers because him  and his gang of ruffians have stolen some gold. Dan wants to flee to mexico but they need a guide, they enlist a stranger named John Webb who knows the terrain well and can get them into mexico with no problem. And wouldnt ya know it, John Webb has an old account to settle with Hogan.

The first hour is tedious, tedious, TEDIOUS as we(the audience) sit around and wait for Kinski to show up. Yes the star of the show does not make an appearance until twenty minutes AFTER the opening credits. And once he arrives he disappears quickly again leaving us stuck in some cabin with some uninteresting characters. Nothing happens the first hour, no brawl, no shoot outs no nothing...
However once John Webb leads Hogan's gang through the desert and to mexico(with some hostages along for the ride) the film becomes pretty damn interesting. However you must force youre self to sit through the horrible first hour, but dont worry, this endurance test does not go unrewarded. The last half hour is full of cool stuff like quicksand, a shoot out(finally) and one nasty looking snake! And of course a big Kinski performance.

The music: The title song is not awful, it is a pleasent listen but forgettable.

Actors: Kinski is the only good mention here. Solid Kinski performance.

Overall: If it werent for the awful first hour we could have  had a good sw. Worth a view if your a Kinski fan. If you couldnt give a rat's ass about Kinski STAY AWAY!

If its of any interest...I got this copy for $4.99 under the title "Renegade Gun" . If you come across this for the same price...it is worth it(for the Kinski fans).

CRAP METER:7

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:4

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM