Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 29, 2024, 10:57:04 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Stars in My Crown (1950)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Stars in My Crown (1950)  ( 1154 )
Moorman

« : November 18, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »

I couldn't find another thread about this, so i decided to create one. FIRST, i haven't seen the whole movie. I created this thread to hopefully get some feedback on people who HAVE seen the whole movie. I caught the last few scenes on TCM about a month or so ago. The scenes i did see lead me to believe this is a special movie. I'm gonna order this on either DVD or Blu Ray and give my complete review later...

moorman
Gunslinger

« #1 : July 27, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »

I finally got around to watching this whole film.  This is a Western directed by Jacques Tourneur ( Out of the Past).  I initially had it pegged as a film noir.   Joel McCrea plays Josiah Gray,  a preacher who moves to the small town of Walesburg.  He earns the respect of the locals and becomes sort of a mix between a preacher AND the sheriff.  Think of Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider.  There are two running themes or plots here.  The first is Gray convincing anti church members of the community to join the church.  The second is local farmer Uncle Famous Prill (Juano Hernandez) and his problems with Lon Backett ( Ed Begley) who tries to run him off his land with the help of locals who follow him so that he can expand a mining operation.  Jed Isbell ( Alan Hale) is superb in a supporting role as another local farmer who helps Gray and Famous.   The plot is simple and the film was well acted.  Though filmed at Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios its a beautifully shot film.  I rank this a 6.5 out of 10...

« : July 27, 2018, 01:15:37 PM moorman »
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines