Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2024, 02:57:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What version do you prefer, theatrical or the DVD Extended Cut?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: What version do you prefer, theatrical or the DVD Extended Cut?  ( 6954 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« : September 06, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »

I'm just curious if any of you like the theatrical version of this film better then the extended dvd version that was released a couple years ago. Personally, some of the scenes I didn't care for. I think the film was great the way it was. Any thoughts?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #1 : September 06, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »

I've only seen the extended version once, actually. The very first time I saw the film. But, I have a box set of the three Dollars films, and it has all of the deleted scenes, and, watching them again, I agree with most people. Some of them: ESSENTIAL, like Angel Eyes at the fort. Some of them: not so much, like Tuco in the grotto.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #2 : September 06, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »

I thought the scene where Tuco reaches the Confederate fort and when Blondie and Tuco are traveling in the coach were pointless and should not have been in the film. They should've left them out and put them as part of the special features.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #3 : September 07, 2006, 08:35:09 AM »

The Restored version of the film is the best version because it has all the scenes found in the Italian cut. Perhaps the grotto scene should not have been added (as I understand it, this was never in the Italian version), but all the others are necessary just so those Italian chappies can't lord it over us (not titoli, of course, a very gracious fellow who would never stoop to such a thing, I'm talking about other Italian chappies). Also, the 180 minute version is what Leone wanted audiences to see.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #4 : September 07, 2006, 12:04:44 PM »

Perhaps the grotto scene should not have been added (as I understand it, this was never in the Italian version),

It was in the picture at it's premiere but then was quickly cut out afterwards.

I usually don't abide cutting films...but in this case, I think GBU benefits from not having useless scenes like Tuco asking for directions at a confed fort and tuco and blondie traveling through a battlefield. It's just too much and too sloppy.

I'm going to go with the American cut as my favorite (a first for me).
The only thing I disagree with it on is not having the scene where LVC visits the confederate fort to get info on Bill Carson.

The deleted scenes are a nice novelty, that's it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim

« #5 : September 07, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »

I'll jump on the bandwagon, I like the theatrical version....with Angel Eyes in the Confederate fort!  I'd also like to know more about the Socorro sequence, because I don't think it was ever filmed, was it?

All I've seen are the photo stills of it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #6 : September 07, 2006, 01:01:48 PM »

I'd also like to know more about the Socorro sequence, because I don't think it was ever filmed, was it?

It most certainly was.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #7 : September 07, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »

so those Italian chappies can't lord it over us (not titoli, of course, a very gracious fellow who would never stoop to such a thing, I'm talking about other Italian chappies).

uhmmm, mumble, mumble....

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

« #8 : September 07, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »

I could go either way, but I'd say the extended, if only for the fact that it makes the viewing experience that much longer. None of the scenes bug me in the slightest, and one or two of them I'd actually prefer in the movie.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #9 : September 08, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »

In fact, the film's structure lends itself to digressions (the gunshop scene isn't necessary, but who would part with it just for the sake of a more streamlined plot?). The more of those "off topic" moments the better, I say.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
ZB
Road Apple

« #10 : September 13, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »

i hate new remastered gunshoot sound in extended edition is crapt. Other is the best without scenes where Tuco reaches the Confederate fort and when Blondie and Tuco are traveling in the coach

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines