Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:19:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Are there any German or French westerns?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are there any German or French westerns?  (Read 2122 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:49:20 PM »

If so, I'd like to see one Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 01:48:57 PM »

Right off had here are two French ones:

Cemetery Without Crosses

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063740/

Renegade (Blueberry)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276830/

And I think the Shatterhand/Winnetou flicks were all German.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 04:44:18 AM »

I'm not sure whether the very entertaining co-French/Italian production VIVA MARIA could count as a French western.The director,Louis Malle and one of the female leads Briggitte Bardot are certainly French but without digging out and studying my copy taped of the TV i could not say about the filming locations,although it is listed as a spaghetti western in my pocket guide.It has been suggested that this movie from 1965 was Corbucci's inspiration for his great THE MERCENARY and COMPANEROS,and i recall there are similarities in VIVA MARIA's humourous style and set pieces to Corbucci's later classics.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:48:38 AM by banjo » Logged
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:08:18 PM »

There were 11 "German" Westerns based on the stories of Karl May....between 1962-68.
They were filmed in what is now Croatia..formerly Yugoslavia........& featured quite a few supporting actors who went on to spaghetti-land...like Mario Girotti (Terence Hill)..Rik Battaglia..Walter Barnes and more.

Actors such as Lex Barker..Stewart Granger..& Rod Cameron starred in these along with Pierre Brice as "Winnetou"..chief of the Mescalero Apaches.

I just finished watching "Treasure Of Silver Lake"...the first one of the series...the scenery was spectacular...the music by composer Martin Boettcher  is very nice, & without doubt influenced guys like Riz Ortolani, who scored some of these films, as well as Morricone & others.....the movie was at times very interesting..there are some nice 'twists' on the American Western...sometimes laughable..but it was immensely successful and madly popular...laying the groundwork for Spaghetti Westerns and all "Euro" Westerns to follow.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:52:39 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 04:16:04 AM »

There were 11 "German" Westerns based on the stories of Karl May....between 1962-68.
They were filmed in what is now Croatia..formerly Yugoslavia........& featured quite a few supporting actors who went on to spaghetti-land...like Mario Girotti (Terence Hill)..Rik Battaglia..Walter Barnes and more.

Actors such as Lex Barker..Stewart Granger..& Rod Cameron starred in these along with Pierre Brice as "Winnetou"..chief of the Mescalero Apaches.

I just finished watching "Treasure Of Silver Lake"...the first one of the series...the scenery was spectacular...the music by composer Martin Boettcher  is very nice, & without doubt influenced guys like Riz Ortolani, who scored some of these films, as well as Morricone & others.....the movie was at times very interesting..there are some nice 'twists' on the American Western...sometimes laughable..but it was immensely successful and madly popular...laying the groundwork for Spaghetti Westerns and all "Euro" Westerns to follow.

Winnetou films are surely worth seeing, if only for the landscape and music; and some of the actors you could know from Spaghetti's - also Kinski is in one of them.
For me the films are also connected to the actors who dubbed them in Czech...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM