Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 06:48:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  TOM YUNG GOONG aka THE PROTECTOR
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TOM YUNG GOONG aka THE PROTECTOR  (Read 1952 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:27:28 AM »

Got the HK 2 disc dvd today although there's no english subs a third of the film is in english anyways, and I must say while the story seems a bit disjointed at times (probably due to the several different languages spoken throughout) the fight scenes for a modern action film are the best I've seen in any action picture for the past 10 years or so.

There is one scene here that is absolutely brilliant. There's a fight sequence that lasts around 5-6 minutes where Tony Jaa enters the huge restaurant of the films title and as he ascends the spiral steps to each floor he encounters endless villains and the whole scene is done with NO CUTS. It's one long master shot. One of the best shot sequences ever regardless of genre.

Also many of the fights play out like a video game with varied "bosses" each with there own unique fighting style. Basically, Tony and his grandfather have two prize elephants (animals he grew up with as a child) stolen at a local fair in Thailand by some gangsters who deal in exporting endangered animals among other activities and Jaa goes after them all the way to Australia.

The first 15 minutes are beautifully filmed but then it becomes a bit muddled (again possibly due to the varied languages and the fact there were no subs) but the action is exhilirating and that's what you watch these for, anything else is a bonus. I haven't seen it in the theaters yet but I imagine like many other recent foreign releases by Miramax its cut as this original version runs 110 minutes.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 01:37:07 PM »

great fighting, and that long scene had to have taken forever to get right. but the story is one you dont really want to know. forget about the subs. it'll only hurt your head. hehe.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:04:30 PM »

your right...just like a third person beat em up video game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhw5lp5JnrM&mode=related&search=

In fact the scenery was probably modeled after the first level in "Dead To Rights".

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:08:03 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM