Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 08:15:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Horse Soldiers, Texas, Escape from Fort Bravo
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horse Soldiers, Texas, Escape from Fort Bravo  (Read 7011 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:28:17 PM »

on TCM right now starting at 8PM  EST

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 01:49:30 PM »

I've seen Horse Soldiers and Escape from Fort Bravo and enjoyed both of them.  Haven't seen Texas but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

The one I was interested in seeing was "The Wild Rovers" with Holden and Ryan O'Neal.  Kind of a buddy western with Holden playing the grizzled old cowboy to O'Neal's inexperienced youngster of a cowboy.  TCM's website had a trailer, and it looked interesting, probably worth a watch if nothing else.  Did anyone catch it last nite?

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 04:35:08 PM »

Saw the first part of Texas last night.  Robert Osbourne said Holden did the film when he was 22.  His friend Ford was 24.  I didn't get to watch the whole thing, but will try again another time.   I would also like to see Holden's Arizona one day as well.
The Wild Rovers is a good western.  The scenery is beautiful.  I 've seen this one a couple of times and would watch it again.  I won't spoil it by telling the ending.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »

I recorded Texas & Escape, watched the end of Texas this morning, it was a buddy flick where one goes good the other goes bad and they are both in love with the same woman (Clare Trevor) typical late 40's 50's type Western. Edgar Buchanon does a good jod a a crooked dentist/crime lord.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 05:01:12 PM »

The only one of those I've seen is "The Horse Soldiers".  It's basically a Western despite the setting (Civil War-era Mississippi), Holden and Wayne are both excellent, though the Duke's romance with Constance Powers (or whatever her name is) is forced.  The battle scenes are very well-done, particularly the ambush from the railcar.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 05:24:28 PM »

Yea HS is a good flick based on an actual cavalry raid by Gierson in 1863 while Grant was laying siege to Vicksburg.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »

But very, very loosely. . .

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 07:34:37 PM »

Part of Horse Soldiers was filmed about a mile from where I live at the Jefferson Military College.  I was there today and wondered again about the history that is so close around me.  I don't mean cinema history either.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 05:43:01 AM »

Well the scene with the cadets charging the cavalry was based, again loosely, on the Battle of New Market in May 1864, when cadets from the VMI successfully defeated Union troops.  Then again, the Yanks were under the command of Franz Sigel, who was about the worst general the Union Army ever fielded, but still, quite an accomplishment considering their age.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

I've seen parts of Escape From Fort Bravo, I've never gotten to watch it the whole way through. Mostly it was interesting to see how much Major Dundee (and GBU arguably) borrowed from it.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:19:22 PM »

Is it worth watching? I've had a couple chances but passed.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:03:41 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »

I just saw The Horse Soldiers (1959)(rented from iTunes)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052902/

SPOILER ALERT:

I absolutely love the movie; the war sequences and the scenery were all wonderful, and I always love military music!

There is one thing in this movie that I hate: when at the end, Wayne says to Towers  "I'm in love with you."
Although the Wayne and Towers characters clearly disliked each other throughout the movie, it is understandable that over time the hatred would dissipate, and perhaps they would even grow to respect each other somewhat. However, the "love" part was just bullshit. And I was so annoyed, cuz throughout the movie I kept thinking "Please, John Ford, have the guts to avoid the Hollywood cliche where everything has to turn into a love story." But I guess that was too much to ask from an American director.

Other than that one line, this was a wonderful movie. John Wayne and William Holden are terrific.

Note: "John Ford suspended location filming in Louisiana after veteran stuntman Fred Kennedy was killed performing a riding stunt. Filming was later completed in California."
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=3658&category=Trivia (according to wikipedia, the final film uses the shot on which the stuntman died. Also, because Ford was so distraught over the death and wanted to end the movie as quickly as possible, the movie was cut short, so we never actually see the cavalry complete their mission on to Baton Rouge; we just see them escape over the bridge, and it is assumed that they will complete their mission http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horse_Soldiers#Production

Also, I gotta disagree with Groggy; this is totally a Civil War movie. IMO the only reason people consider this a Western is that it is a Ford & Wayne movie

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:37:23 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »

I prefer this over Fort Apache and 'Yellow Ribbon'

What were you thinking me from a year and a half ago?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »

I've seen Horse Soldiers and Escape from Fort Bravo and enjoyed both of them.  Haven't seen Texas but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

The one I was interested in seeing was "The Wild Rovers" with Holden and Ryan O'Neal.  Kind of a buddy western with Holden playing the grizzled old cowboy to O'Neal's inexperienced youngster of a cowboy.  TCM's website had a trailer, and it looked interesting, probably worth a watch if nothing else.  Did anyone catch it last nite?

I just watched the Warner DVD-R.
Some folks on this board will no doubt enjoy it, but i thought it was a total turkey.
Shouldn't this be listed in the INDEX OF AMERICAN WESTERNS?

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:43 AM »

watched The Horse Soldiers again tonight; 2nd viewing, first time on blu-ray.

The blu ray does a nice job. It has a lot of grain, so for you purists who like grain, I am sure you will like this image.
If you compare the image with the trailer (which I am sure is unrestored quality; but is the only bonus feature on this disc), you will see that much of the feature is a lot darker than the trailer. So, was the feature artificially darkened; or has the trailer faded over time, or some combination thereof? Who knows. But I had no complaints about the disc quality; just a complaint about the lack of bonus features, other than the trailer.  This is a damn good movie, with Wayne and Holden directed by Ford, and deserved a commentary and several bonus feature pieces.

As for the actual movie, my opinion is basically the same as the last time I watched it, discussed a few posts back.

Constance Towers looks lovely, but I WISH they hadn't succumbed to Hollywood cliche with Wayne telling Towers he loved her. I wish they would have just shaken hands at the end and that's all. Maybe a hug and a look in the eye. But saying he loves her, just typical Holllywood crap.

Otherwise, this was a very good movie. I mean, Wayne, Holden, Towers, you've got a nice color movie with the US cavalry and playing military music on the soundtrack -- how  could you go wrong! This gets a solid 8/10. IMO, it is the 6th best Ford Western; the top 5 (in no particular order) are Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:14:06 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM