Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 06:03:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Guns of Navarone (1961)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Guns of Navarone (1961)  (Read 3998 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2006, 06:40:25 AM »

Rented this one to watch today, so I thought I'd see what my fellow Leone-istas think of it.

Personally, it's one of my favorites.  Basically the prototype of all the James Bond films and pretty much every action movie made since it came out, but it's still miles better than the vast majority of its successors.

What I like about the film is that it is neither particularly pro- or anti-war.  The characters make some anti-war statements, but the film doesn't beat you over the head with it.  In some such movies the message is so obnoxiously blatant that it takes you out of the film.  And there is absolutely nothing in the way of jingoistic flag-waving in here.

The direction and action are taut and well-done.  The movie is extremely well-paced and does not have a false moment, and the action scenes are some of the best in any movie ever.

The cast is another high point.  Anthony Quinn steals the show with a very subdued performance as Andreas (the "I am a fisherman from Cyprus!" scene is too funny for words IMO), though there are a lot of other great actors in there as well: Gregory Peck, Stanley Baker, David Niven, Anthony Quayle, James Robert Justice, and the strikingly beautiful Irene Papas, plus early career performances by Richard Harris and Walter Gotell (aka General Gogol from the Bond films). 

So, what do you guys think?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:30:53 AM »

Groggy, The GUNS is, as the publicity blurb at the time stated, the greatest high adventure story ever filmed.
Everything about this film is perfection. I don't ever recall anybody seeing any "message" in it. It was just a humdinger of a movie made for everyone to enjoy in the days when going to the movies was very uncomplicated.
Dimitri Tiomkin's score was one of the first LP's I ever bought and is as fresh today as it was then.
IMHO, The Guns of Navarone has never been bettered in its category.

Tim
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:54:57 AM »

One of my favorite all-time adventure/men on a mission/ WWII movies ever, you can identify it in so many different ways.  I love the scope of the movie, it just seems so big, from the cliff-scaling with no words to the takedown of Navarone with the team taking on the German garrison.

And amidst that great cast, I love Richard Harris' brief appearance as Squadron Leader Barnsby.  I've never heard "bloody" so much before.   Grin

And there is one western connection SPOILERS AHEAD    how James Darren meets his fate is very similar to a western showdown.

Squadron Leader Howard Barnsby RAAF: First, you've got that bloody old fortress on top of that bloody cliff. Then you've got the bloody cliff overhang. You can't even see the bloody cave, let alone the bloody guns. And finally - we haven't got a bloody bomb big enough to smash that bloody rock. And that's the bloody truth, sir.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »

One of my favorite all-time adventure/men on a mission/ WWII movies ever, you can identify it in so many different ways.  I love the scope of the movie, it just seems so big, from the cliff-scaling with no words to the takedown of Navarone with the team taking on the German garrison.

And amidst that great cast, I love Richard Harris' brief appearance as Squadron Leader Barnsby.  I've never heard "bloody" so much before.   Grin

And there is one western connection SPOILERS AHEAD    how James Darren meets his fate is very similar to a western showdown.

Squadron Leader Howard Barnsby RAAF: First, you've got that bloody old fortress on top of that bloody cliff. Then you've got the bloody cliff overhang. You can't even see the bloody cave, let alone the bloody guns. And finally - we haven't got a bloody bomb big enough to smash that bloody rock. And that's the bloody truth, sir.

I know, Harris is too damn funny in that scene!  Grin

I was just so glad that Anthony Quinn made it out of there alive.  When I first watched this, I thought "if Andreas dies, I'm gonna KILL someone!"  Felt bad for Stanley Baker though (he reminded a lot of Robert Vaughn in "The Magnificent Seven", the veteran killer who's lost his nerve), and surprisingly James Darren was actually pretty good.  I thought it was kind of corny that he mowed down an entire German platoon with a few shots before his "show-down" with the German machine gunner but hey, what can you do?

Saturday nights with Groggy
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 04:19:37 PM »

This war movie is one of my favs its probably the best Alister Mclaine adaptations and ranks along side my other cherished war movie THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.
Peck is on top form in this film and to my thinking one of the most underated actors, he was superb as Mengle in The Boys from Brazil and given the chance he would have been my second choice as Frank in Once Upon A time in the West

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »

This war movie is one of my favs its probably the best Alister Mclaine adaptations and ranks along side my other cherished war movie THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.
Peck is on top form in this film and to my thinking one of the most underated actors, he was superb as Mengle in The Boys from Brazil and given the chance he would have been my second choice as Frank in Once Upon A time in the West

I realy enjoyed this one and similar, men on a mission flicks, Where Eagles Dare, and the Heroes of Telemark check them out too if you haven't.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »

Heroes of Telemark is a cracker Richard Harris in one of his better roles.
The action movies from arund that time are far better than the drivel Hollywood pushes out these days.
Here's another good war movie Tobruck with Richard Burton

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Tim
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »

Here's another good war movie Tobruck with Richard Burton

Do you mean Raid on Rommel, which starred Richard Burton and used a lot of the action footage from Tobruk?  Just checking.  Of the two, I'd take Tobruk over Raid on Rommel.

And do you gents have Heroes of Telemark on VHS or is there a dvd out there I'm not aware of?  When I saw Richard Harris and Kirk Douglas, I knew it had to be a decent movie just cause of the two leads.   Grin

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »

The Guns of Navarone (1961): 8.5/10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM