Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 09:14:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I got the time line down...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I got the time line down...  (Read 87380 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2007, 03:06:21 PM »

It makes sense that Sky Net would keep trying to get John Conner's progenitors, not by sending Terminators back to points in time after the first failure in 1984, but back to periods before 1984. No doubt Blondie is John Conner's great great great grandfather. The AE-1000 model failed, but that doesn't mean Sky Net won't try yet again (maybe with the El Indio 3000!)

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2007, 09:32:30 PM »

This would imply that GBU takes place before FAFDM, since the model Sentenza 1200 was captured by an unnamed JC's ancestor, re-named to Col. Mortimer 2000 and re-programed to protect JC's progenitor.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2007, 12:58:07 AM »

Exactly! Afro

El Incompetente
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »

Nice work C Joe!
I really like those old maps (in fact, i like maps in general), itīs great to get such an overview.
I was wondering though - maybe it has been mentioned already, havenīt read all posts -
could the desert Tuco and Blondie cross be the one in the tularosa basin between the Sacramento and the San Andres mountains,
the area which today is the white sands missile range?
Are there really any sand dunes west of san Andres?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »

I was wondering though - maybe it has been mentioned already, havenīt read all posts -
could the desert Tuco and Blondie cross be the one in the tularosa basin between the Sacramento and the San Andres mountains,
the area which today is the white sands missile range?
Are there really any sand dunes west of san Andres?

I thought of that too, White Sands would be the obvious location, but it wouldn't fit in with Sibley's Brigade. If you read  some of the books I listed (Sibley's New Mexico Campaign, Hall) it describes the trouble Sibleys artillery had getting the cannon through the loose sand between the volcanic rock ridges in the northern end  the Jornada Del Muerta.

I know that sand dunes can move so wether or not there may have been dunes or not I don't know. Aren't there dunes up in Colorado north of Santa Fe?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »

There are two more time jumps that I forgot to include to be thorough:

B&T blunder upon a battle for Langston or Langstone bridge over the Arkansas River. The small cemetery nearby at Sad Hill has swollen with the dead from the various skirmishes & battles in the border area of Northwest Arkansas ( Pea Ridge (Elkhorn Tavern) was on March 6-8th 1862, US Casualties 1, 349, CS Casualties 4,600).

After the blowing of the bridge Tuco and Blondie hunker down in a shell hole while the artillery duel begins across the river between the North & South. The duel continues into the darkness ending sometime during the night . Our time jump is to the next morning when Blondie & Tuco awaken from the shell hole. Tuco takes a leak and then he & Blondie wade across the river. The come out upon the other side soaked

Here occurs the last time jump (probably a few hours) for we now see Blondie & Tuco now with their clothes dry with the river in the far distance as they approach the burnt out chapel.

B&T&AE shoot out at Sad Hill.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2007, 02:17:25 PM »

Here occurs the last time jump (probably a few hours) for we now see Blondie & Tuco now with their clothes dry with the river in the far distance as they approach the burnt out chapel.
Thanks, CJ. I always read that transition wrong, thinking B&T have just come up from the river to find the burnt out chapel. Greater attention to detail would no doubt make me a better viewer, but I can't help feeling SL erred here by not providing an establishing shot or some other obvious form of transition. Most first-time viewers probably also miss those subtle indicators.

El Incompetente
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2007, 03:11:19 PM »

Aren't there dunes up in Colorado north of Santa Fe?

There are some around the San Luis valley in southern Colorado. Heck, theyīre everywhere.

Regarding the desert in GBU; when T and AE enjoy a meal together the latter says something about
the desert being more than 100 miles from south to north, which is a fitting description of the
tularosa basin.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »

Thanks, CJ. I always read that transition wrong, thinking B&T have just come up from the river to find the burnt out chapel. Greater attention to detail would no doubt make me a better viewer, but I can't help feeling SL erred here by not providing an establishing shot or some other obvious form of transition. Most first-time viewers probably also miss those subtle indicators. 

You are probably right it could have been better, though you can see the river a good distance away right before they get to the chapel.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

Regarding the desert in GBU; when T and AE enjoy a meal together the latter says something about
the desert being more than 100 miles from south to north, which is a fitting description of the
tularosa basin.

I could kick myself that the only time I passed through New Mexico I stayed along the eastern side of the state, Raton Pass to Las Vegas, Pecos River Valley, passed near Tucumcari, south to Roswell, then down to Carlsbad Caverns.  Sad

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »

Just noticed CJ has posted this time line on IMDb in GBU FAQ section. There are also other FAQs he's answered Afro

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2008, 04:23:41 AM »

Just noticed CJ has posted this time line on IMDb in GBU FAQ section. There are also other FAQs he's answered Afro
wow, what an effort

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2008, 04:25:43 AM »

It didn't take that much guys just highlight & paste  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2008, 04:48:13 AM »

This is extremely important work. It is thanks to the timeline that I have come to agree with Joe that much of the film (from Betterville on) takes place far from New Mexico and Texas. I pity the fools who try to fit everything with the Sibley campaign: it's just not tenable. The bridge scene has to occur someplace back east.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2008, 05:12:05 AM »

When Sibley is retreating all the major battles in NM were over and just the small rear guard action at Perlata was left.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM