Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:42:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I got the time line down...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I got the time line down...  (Read 86662 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 09:58:30 PM »

Yea that's what I always thought too, but when Tuco finally rides up to Blondies last campsite at that final campfire, on his horse there is no wooden basin or the parisol, so he had to pick those up somewhere. So the extra day also would give them time to get up to the Journada del Muerta desert.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
sadhill
Bandido

"Un-k...Un-K......... There's no name on it."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 01:30:34 PM »

Great timeline! I usually put together visuals, you sir researched American history and put this film into it's perspective.  Thank-you

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 06:07:19 PM »

Great, Great, GREAT work, CJ! You have my undying admiration and gratitude. Can't wait to see the map.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 09:24:06 PM »

I got the southern half done, working on the middle section.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »

Okay, having had time to study the timeline some more, I have a few questions.

The sole separated survivors, all wounded, are Corporal Jackson, Stevens, and Baker.  At the beginning of the second week of February back in Dallas a military tribunal conducts an inquiry and acquits Corporal Jackson and Stevens.

Jackson either changes his name to Bill Carson and telegraphs ahead to re-enlist in Sibley’s Brigade, then hops a stage to El Paso, or Jackson, kills the real Bill Carson who is already on his way to join  Sibley  and assumes his identity. Baker belatedly arrives back in Dallas and finds out that Jackson has vanished.

Baker back in El Paso, hires Angel Eyes to find Jackson and kill Stevens.

Baker and Stevens seem a little old to enlist and serve, don't they? And given Stevens spread, wouldn't he prefer to support the war effort financially rather than bodily? In fact, I would expect him to make the requisite payments to the authorities to keep his sons from having to serve.

Once Baker and Jackson are acquitted, why is their service done? Wouldn't they be required to abide by the terms of their enlistment and return to duty? Let's say Jackson deserts and assumes the identity of Bill Carson; okay, how is it that Baker can go home? Has the inquiry taken a toll on his health, causing him to be mustered out?

If the three men have hidden the gold in Arkansas (as seems to be the implication), why would Jackson allow himself to be taken off to New Mexico, far away? Isn't he worried that Baker (or maybe even Stevens) will try to get the gold? Even if Jackson is the only one who knows exactly where the gold is, isn't he going to be worried that it will nonetheless be found in his absence? Wouldn't he want to stay as close as possible? What's his motivation for going to New Mexico, anyway?

Joe, I'm not trying to sharpshoot your timeline, I just want to be sure you've covered all the angles. Might as well make the thing rock-solid, eh?

(BTW, how do you know exactly where the Shorty Larson hanging occurs?)

Keep up the good work!

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »

Yay!

Very promising stuff, looking forward to seeing the final results.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »

Baker and Stevens seem a little old to enlist and serve, don't they? And given Stevens spread, wouldn't he prefer to support the war effort financially rather than bodily? In fact, I would expect him to make the requisite payments to the authorities to keep his sons from having to serve.

Once Baker and Jackson are acquitted, why is their service done? Wouldn't they be required to abide by the terms of their enlistment and return to duty? Let's say Jackson deserts and assumes the identity of Bill Carson; okay, how is it that Baker can go home? Has the inquiry taken a toll on his health, causing him to be mustered out?

Stevens seems to be limping around no? and Baker may be bed ridden, (But his uniform tunic is on the chair, and his hat is there) so he's recovering from the attack on the paymasters wagon, I believe,  and Baker suspects Jackson took the gold and Stevens is connected in some way. 

If the three men have hidden the gold in Arkansas (as seems to be the implication), why would Jackson allow himself to be taken off to New Mexico, far away? Isn't he worried that Baker (or maybe even Stevens) will try to get the gold? Even if Jackson is the only one who knows exactly where the gold is, isn't he going to be worried that it will nonetheless be found in his absence? Wouldn't he want to stay as close as possible? What's his motivation for going to New Mexico, anyway?

Again, I don't think the three hid the gold just Jackson, Baker wouldn't need to find him if he knew, and I don't think Stevens knows much either. Stevens seems to me to be the most innocent of the three.

I think Jackson wanted to just disappear.  Maybe he knew Baker would be the SOB he was.

Joe, I'm not trying to sharpshoot your timeline, I just want to be sure you've covered all the angles. Might as well make the thing rock-solid, eh?

(BTW, how do you know exactly where the Shorty Larson hanging occurs?)

No I understand, its good to ask questions, and the scenario makes the most sense.

Baker suspects both Jackson & Stevens, but I think only Jackson took and hid it.

Stevens would have told AE to save his life if he knew I think, he spilled everything else.

So my only question is why did Jackson visit Stevens and tell him his new identity?

There were not many towns in West Texas in 1862, Franklin (El Paso) Scorro, San Elizario, and Isleta (from General Grant's map, and others of the same vintage), so I just picked one of the Mexican villages since it looked in the film like an adobe town.

All the hangings are in Texas based on the reading of the sentences each one mentions "the laws of this state" New Mexico was a territory so that points to West Texas. I'll post the maps soon and it will become clearer. 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:30:04 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »

Stevens seems to be limping around no? and Baker may be bed ridden, (But his uniform tunic is on the chair, and his hat is there)

Well spotted! Thanks, Joe, I've always missed that.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »

Ok here is the overall picture showing the major movements of the characters superimposed upon an 1859 map on the West.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »

This is the first detail map (of three) showing New Mexico-Mexico-Texas Border circa 1863 with the possible GBU storyline locations. Sibley's Brigade march north is shown in yellow line, the retreat is shown in red dots.

Its pretty neat to see all the little place names, rivers, springs, stage roads, trails and geographical features.

I didn't put all the Civil War Actions on the map

Col. John Baylor's Texas militia occupied Ft. Bliss (El Paso) in July 1861, and pushed up into New Mexico. Ft. Filmore was abandoned to the Texans and its garrison commanded by Major Issac Lynde headed to Ft. Stanton (now I wonder if any connection to Arch, lol.)  Lynde's retreating forces were overtaken by the Texans at St. Augustin Springs, Lynde surrendered on July 27, 1861.

Ft. Stanton, and Ft. Thorn were abandoned after Lynde's surrender the forces there headed for Ft. Craig and Albuquerque.

The California Column (200 mounted riflemen) commanded by Capt. Sherod Hunter was sent West by Sibley to Tuscon which they occupied on February 28, 1862.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »

Wow! Cigar Joe, you rule.

Yay!

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »

Fabulous work indeed CJ.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 11:21:25 AM »

CJ you're great!!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »

Wonderful job, CJ!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 04:57:23 PM »

This is the greatest thread on this board ever!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM