Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:15:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Symbolism Question...HELP!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Symbolism Question...HELP!  (Read 2747 times)
amc
Road Apple

Go on...you're mother's calling you

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2003, 10:00:09 AM »

I want to know if anyone can explain to me the signifigance of:  

First, the number on the side of the garbage truck at the end?  I think it is 35.  Any ideas?

Second 'God Bless America' is playing in the background at the beginning of the scene when Noodles girlfriend gets shot  and also at the end in the garbage truck scene, when the kids drive by in the car after the truck pulls away.  Perhaps some foreshadowing of death?

Who is the man (it does not appear to me to be James Woods) standing next to the garbage truck the first time Noodles looks back and before the truck pulls away?

Huh

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 06:04:02 AM »

I think I can answer 2 of your qustions.

The number on the side of the garbage truck,it is either 33 or 35,represents the number of years that Noodles has spent in isolation and guilt,thinking that he had been responsible for Max's death.Essentially Noodles had 'no life' for that period of time.

The man standing by the garbage truck[i assume everyone reading this has seen the film....]was apparently an extra made up to look a bit like James Woods.Therefore you are made to think that Max MAY have jumped into the truck ,but it is not certain.Leone keeps it ambiguous,like much of the film.

I am less sure on your other question,perhaps an ironic comment on the country that Leone was fascinated by......

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 07:18:31 AM »

Well , interesting informations.
Leone said that he cut a scene where the garbage truck was already in 30's .
He also declared that when Jimmy Hoffa disappeared , a garbage truck stayed near his home during few days  

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 12:24:14 PM »

Regarding "God Bless America"...

Don't forget Leone is european.

I think the "God Bless America" theme has to do with the "american dream" and how fragile this could be.

What's the price for the "american dream", for a group of jewish inmigrants? To became a "councelor" you have to double cross your best friend? Take his girl? You have to commit suicide?

Is the "american dream" so sad?

I thing the "God Bless America" is the the final irony of an european film maker as Leone.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
dollars
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 07:01:56 AM »

I agree that the 35 on the truck symbolizes the 35 years that noodles thought max was dead.  The truck passing the man was symbolic of him being erased for 35 years.  The whole end from him leaving the mansion all seems to wind up to Max's Return to The Chinese Theater.  The Chinese Theater is what he's walking towars.  The Chinese Theater is in China Town and I'm not aware of any Mansions in Chinatown.  It is symbolic of his return to reality from his Opium Induced State.  The Back of the truck going throught the tunnel... The lights at the Back of the Truck... The kids passing, returning to the music that was playing... All of it taking him back to where we first see noodles.  Young again.. And High as ever.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM