Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:31:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Escape from New York (1981)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Escape from New York (1981)  (Read 7432 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2006, 07:05:26 PM »

I never seen it believe it or not. I was thinking about buying it because it has Lee Van Cleef staring along side Kurt Russell. Everyone says it's a cult classic. Is it worth buying?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:04:55 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 08:33:10 PM »

Van Cleef is only really in the film right at the start and right at the end. It seems to be a film that's never off TV (where I live at least), unless you can buy it for next to nothing, maybe you should hold out untill you've caught a screening first.

For me it was a bit too dumb, even WILD BUNCH member Ernie Borgnine struggles to bring it any gravitas. However Donald Pleasence is, as ever, magnificent.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:21:07 AM »

For me it was a bit too dumb
Yeah dumb but fun.I taped the sequel Escape From LA the other day so hopefully this'll be entertaining too!
    Another film to see where theres a lot more action from LVC is Armed Response in which he and David Carradine take on the Chinese mafia Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »

Well, Escape from L.A. really sucked, so a further sequel probably won't amount to much.

The original, however, is a lot of fun (yeah, dumb fun, but fun). Great cast: Harry Dean Stanton, Issac Hayes, LVC, Russell, Tom Atkins, and, as mentioned, a great performance from the always great Donald Pleasance.

There are two reasons to get the DVD. First, it delivers the film in its OAR. Carpenter's films don't work at all unless you see them presented that way, which you can't rely on TV to deliver. Second, the audio commentary, a two-way between Russell and Carpenter, is absolutely hilarious. You definitely double your entertainment value by having that extra audio track.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »

the audio commentary, a two-way between Russell and Carpenter, is absolutely hilarious. You definitely double your entertainment value by having that extra audio track.

Ignore what I said above. I guess this sells it.

Kurugen
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 07:49:33 PM »

Well, Escape from L.A. really sucked, so a further sequel probably won't amount to much.

The original, however, is a lot of fun (yeah, dumb fun, but fun). Great cast: Harry Dean Stanton, Issac Hayes, LVC, Russell, Tom Atkins, and, as mentioned, a great performance from the always great Donald Pleasance.

There are two reasons to get the DVD. First, it delivers the film in its OAR. Carpenter's films don't work at all unless you see them presented that way, which you can't rely on TV to deliver. Second, the audio commentary, a two-way between Russell and Carpenter, is absolutely hilarious. You definitely double your entertainment value by having that extra audio track.

I like LA even though it was kinda dumb.Like when hes surfin that tidal wave and when he made a 3 pointer from one whole end of the court.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 09:38:48 PM »

The commentary track on "Big Trouble in Little China" with Russel & Carpenter is likewise very good.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:56:41 PM »

Didn't care much for this film. Overhyped I say.
Works the first hour but then that cheesy wrestling ring scene really brings it down. Too bad, it had a good plot.

LVC should have killed Snake( who I didn't really care for).

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:41:53 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »

Theres a remake in the works with Gerarld Butler (300) being Snake and with Len Wiseman (Underworld, Die Hard 4) directing it.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »

Well I have seen this. It's been quite awhile since I started this thread. I forgot to write a review for the film. I loved it. Vintage John Carpentar!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 12:17:18 PM »

I'm pissed they're planning on remaking it, with Gerard Butler in mind to play Snake Plisken. What the hell is going on?!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »

I'm pissed they're planning on remaking it, with Gerard Butler in mind to play Snake Plisken. What the hell is going on?!

I don't see the logic behind it either.
The second movie bombed terribly, why would the studios risk a big bidget remake of a franchise that nobody cares to see anymore?

I say scrap the remake and make the third installment (escape from planet earth).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »

I think some franchises are best left alone. I mean like no sequels, no remakes. IMO, this is one of them. One of the reasons slashers are so cliche is because of the amount of sequels and crap like that.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 02:58:06 PM »

I wasn't particularly impressed with either Escape films, really on any level. Though I remember Buescemi having a funny part in LA, and Donald Pleasence is alsways fun to watch in anything he's in. Other than that, I never saw what the hooplah was about when it came to these movies.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:17:16 PM by BeauButabi » Logged

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 05:59:20 PM »

I wasn't particularly impressed with either Escape films, really on any level. Though I remember Buescemi having a funny part in LA, and Donald Pleasence is alsways fun to watch in anything he's in. Other than that, I never saw what the hooplah was about when it came to these movies.

I think they're fun films that I enjoy a lot. Maybe because I'm such a big Carpenter and Kurt Russell fan. That helps my cause.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM