Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:24:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  $200000...when
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: $200000...when  (Read 4884 times)
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2006, 02:21:52 AM »

Just a quick poser....AE first learns about the cash box interrogating Stevens', but when does he find out its actually $200000 in gold coins. It could be $500 dollars for all he knows.

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 04:33:14 AM »

If there had been an inquiry as he found out from Half Soldier he could have checked there. My guess.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 06:44:06 AM »

If there had been an inquiry as he found out from Half Soldier he could have checked there. My guess.

Oh yes, that could be right! I didn't think about it now, but I guess it's what I thought when watching it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 03:44:33 AM »

I think Angel Eyes knew that if Baker was paying $500 just to get "the name", then the prize was much larger.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 01:40:12 AM »

I think Angel Eyes knew that if Baker was paying $500 just to get "the name", then the prize was much larger.

Surely, but it doesn't give him the idea how much exactly it is.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 08:12:55 AM »

AE knows from Half Soldier that a cashbox full of gold disappeared and that there had been a trial. This is enough for him to realize that it must be a huge amount of money, don't you think so?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 08:48:15 AM »

Yes, but the point of this thread is, How does AE find out what the exact sum is? At the beginning of the film he only knows a sum exists, but not how much it is. Later he knows the exact amount, but we never see a scene where he learns this. So, how does he know?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 09:17:14 AM »

Yes, but the point of this thread is, How does AE find out what the exact sum is? At the beginning of the film he only knows a sum exists, but not how much it is. Later he knows the exact amount, but we never see a scene where he learns this. So, how does he know?

Doesn't AE get the information about the amount of the money form Tuco during the torture scene? I don't remember exactly, but it seems to be the only occasion for him to know about it.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »

Doesn't AE get the information about the amount of the money form Tuco during the torture scene? I don't remember exactly, but it seems to be the only occasion for him to know about it.

That's surely another possibility. I thought so, too. But it also isn't shown.

il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 02:39:43 AM »

Knowing it from torturing Tuco seems to be th most logical hypotesis, but I have to watch the movie once again to check if there is a moment when AE mentions the exact amount of 200000 dollars.
Isn't it possible he arrives to the cemetery without knowing the sum? I have to check.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:16:26 AM »

Knowing it from torturing Tuco seems to be th most logical hypotesis, but I have to watch the movie once again to check if there is a moment when AE mentions the exact amount of 200000 dollars.
Isn't it possible he arrives to the cemetery without knowing the sum? I have to check.

He does. In the POW camp, after the torturing (so it really could be the source of information.)

Blondie: Where?
AE: To find 200 000 dollars.

il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 08:38:04 AM »

He does. In the POW camp, after the torturing (so it really could be the source of information.)

Blondie: Where?
AE: To find 200 000 dollars.

Thanks marmota, so there is no doubt anymore about the source, my guess was correct.  It looks obvious now that Tuco told AE about the amount of the treasure during the torture.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM