Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:34:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I finally saw it too
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I finally saw it too  (Read 11632 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »

Just finished watching it an hour ago.

What a great movie! It's much better than I remembered it. I wouldn't make it my 2nd favorite movie of all time...but I would rank it about 5 or 6.

I didn't mind Steiger's accent, and I didn't think he was over-the-top. He did a magnificent job as Juan.

There was one part of the movie where I laughed so hard I nearly pissed in my pants. When Juan sets the political prisoners free, after he shoots each door open the camera turns to see his reaction. His faces were hilarious!

And Coburn did a fantatsic job as Sean ( that's right! I think it's Sean! )

The music was the best part of course. As I have said before, this was Morricone's best soundtrack in any Leone film.

So to sum it up, great movie, I'm glad I finally saw it, I'm going to show this to everyone I know!   Smiley

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:30:04 PM »

Just finished watching it an hour ago.

What a great movie! It's much better than I remembered it. I wouldn't make it my 2nd favorite movie of all time...but I would rank it about 5 or 6.

I didn't mind Steiger's accent, and I didn't think he was over-the-top. He did a magnificent job as Juan.

There was one part of the movie where I laughed so hard I nearly pissed in my pants. When Juan sets the political prisoners free, after he shoots each door open the camera turns to see his reaction. His faces were hilarious!

And Coburn did a fantatsic job as Sean ( that's right! I think it's Sean! )

The music was the best part of course. As I have said before, this was his best soundtrack in any Leone film.

So to sum it up, great movie, I'm glad I finally saw it, I'm going to show this to everyone I know!   Smiley

I would rank it around 10 or 11. It rules a lot. It's amazing how my fourth favorite Leone film is still on my top ten.  Roll Eyes

Where's GBU on your list, Peace?

And, I agree, Coburn did do a great job as JOHN.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »

Where's GBU on your list, Peace?

And, I agree, Coburn did do a great job as JOHN.

Well, GBU would come around 7 or 8. I love GBU, don't get me wrong, but it's not as good as Leone's last 3 films, and a lot of other non-Leone films.

And you are correct sir, Coburn was terrific as SEAN.   Wink

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:40:05 PM »

Well, GBU would come around 7 or 8. I love GBU, don't get me wrong, but it's not as good as Leone's last 3 films, and a lot of other non-Leone films.

And you are correct sir, Coburn was terrific as SEAN.   Wink

No, you must have heard me wrong. He's JOHN you son-of-a-bitch.

Kurugen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:49:42 PM »

well i havent seen it and this feud over that guys name seems funny but the real name thats listed on IMDB is (only read at the very bottom of this post to see the name)

Its John H.Mallory

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 09:50:14 PM »

I see you prefer DYS to GBU. I will decide that officially when I watch DYS again with my brother. I have a strange feeling it will become his favorite Leone film.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »

I see you prefer DYS to GBU. I will decide that officially when I watch DYS again with my brother. I have a strange feeling it will become his favorite Leone film.

I want to show my friends.

I'm sure they would like the film.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:55:30 PM »

well i havent seen it and this feud over that guys name seems funny but the real name thats listed on IMDB is (only read at the very bottom of this post to see the name)

Its John H.Mallory

His name is left ambiguous in the movie.

Here's why I am convinced it's John:

The wanted paper from Ireland shows his name as John. And he refers to himself as John. Now, I know he says his name is Sean at first, but I'm convinced that Sean is his friend from Ireland's name. So, Juan asks him, "What's your name?" And he replies "Sean" quietly but then gets a very pained look on his face. He then says his name is John. I'm pretty sure that right after that we have the first flashback to Ireland. So, I think that Johnny was kind of drifting off, not thinking about what Juan's saying, and remembering dear old Ireland, and accidently let's slip his friend's name, Sean. Which would also explain the pained look on his face (**Spoilers**) since he shot his friend. And also, when his friend is dying, we hear "Sean sean sean" kind of repeat and drift off in Morricone's score. It drifts off and cuts off as soon as he's dead. It's kind of like "Sean, don't go. Sean, don't die."

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 10:01:36 PM »

His name is left ambiguous in the movie.

Here's why I am convinced it's John:

The wanted paper from Ireland shows his name as John. And he refers to himself as John. Now, I know he says his name is Sean at first, but I'm convinced that Sean is his friend from Ireland's name. So, Juan asks him, "What's your name?" And he replies "Sean" quietly but then gets a very pained look on his face. He then says his name is John. I'm pretty sure that right after that we have the first flashback to Ireland. So, I think that Johnny was kind of drifting off, not thinking about what Juan's saying, and remembering dear old Ireland, and accidently let's slip his friend's name, Sean. Which would also explain the pained look on his face (**Spoilers**) since he shot his friend. And also, when his friend is dying, we hear "Sean sean sean" kind of repeat and drift off in Morricone's score. It drifts off and cuts off as soon as he's dead. It's kind of like "Sean, don't go. Sean, don't die."

I'm convinced that is Sean because the only reason why he says John after Juan asks him his name is because Juan doesn't quite understand it. Listen to the way he says Sean and then John. When he says Sean he sounds like he's just saying his name. When he replies John it sounds almost as if he were saying it to make Juan happy, it sounds like he gives off a sigh when he says John.

As for the newspaper, John was probably a fake name. Or possibly his friend's.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 09:51:54 AM »

I'm convinced that is Sean because the only reason why he says John after Juan asks him his name is because Juan doesn't quite understand it. Listen to the way he says Sean and then John. When he says Sean he sounds like he's just saying his name. When he replies John it sounds almost as if he were saying it to make Juan happy, it sounds like he gives off a sigh when he says John.

He says Sean as his real, Irish name (don't forget he had been in a nationalistic group). Juan doesn't understand it, so he adds John to make things clear to Juan.
I guess he was called John in the newspaper, because it seemed to be official "wanted article" made by the government (leave aside the fact someone pointed out, that the newspaper was nationalistic...) - so they wrote his English name, not his Irish one.

That's how I saw it. And I will call him SEAN. Because it's his name he chose to use at first, so a name he felt as being his own; and because they chant SEAN, not John in the music!
(And, BTW, also to make things clear for me... when I'm calling him John in written, I always get confused with John/Juan, because it both begins with "J"... Embarrassed)

And I also laughed hard in that bank. Grin It was so perfectly done!

Kurugen, I don't care very much about what IMDb says... There can be mistakes in it, really. As people can help with editing it, there appear mistakes. I had to correct something in Lemonade Joe. I know that film is not so well known, but you never know with such system. I'd leave it to personal taste. They probably based the name in list on the newspaper, which, as I wrote above, is not so authoritative.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:59:13 AM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »

Well put Marmota.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »

I'm going to watch that scene again right now. When I saw it before, I thought he looked pained after he said Sean. I'm probably wrong.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »