Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 06:45:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Most memorable scene in this film?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most memorable scene in this film?  (Read 46288 times)
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2004, 02:18:20 PM »

Noodles coming to The Opinium Den and Just smiling as happy as He can be.

There's also the way noodles see things montage and The Way Noodles treats Mr. Bailey. Noodles really knows how to redeem himself.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2004, 02:40:49 PM »

The kid with the cake is a stand-out scene!  Cool

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
saeem
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2004, 02:34:42 AM »

This really is a difficult one,there are so many scenes I love in  this movie.I suppose my top 5 bits,in no particular order.would be

The incredibly haunting and beautiful scene near the end when Noodles leaves Deborah,sees Max's son[played by the young Max]and Max appears out of the darkness to look out of that window.Sheer poetry,aided immeasurably of course bythe music

Early on when the old Noodles looks through the peep hole through which he used to observe Deborah,and we flashback to him as a boy looking[all of the flashbacks are wonderfully done,very subtle but efective]

The death of Dominic,what a powerful,moving scene."I slipped"!

The baby swiching scene,one of several really funny scenes in a film that has a general moon of sombreness.

The charlotte rousse scene,nuff said.

[url=http://]]]http://ftp://

saeem
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2004, 02:39:51 AM »

This really is a difficult one,there are so many scenes I love in  this movie.I suppose my top 5 bits,in no particular order.would be

The incredibly haunting and beautiful scene near the end when Noodles leaves Deborah,sees Max's son[played by the young Max]and Max appears out of the darkness to look out of that window.Sheer poetry,aided immeasurably of course bythe music

Early on when the old Noodles looks through the peep hole through which he used to observe Deborah,and we flashback to him as a boy looking[all of the flashbacks are wonderfully done,very subtle but efective]

The death of Dominic,what a powerful,moving scene."I slipped"!

The baby swiching scene,one of several really funny scenes in a film that has a general moon of sombreness.

The charlotte rousse scene,nuff said.

[/quote I[url=http://]]]http://

There are so many scenes. However, some of my favourite are:-

1) De Niro in the opium den. Even though he has so many regrets and unhappiness, here he finds some temporary peace.

2) Dominic dying - so painful and waste of a young boy's life.

3) Noodles looking through peephole and seeing Deborah - love that he just cannot reach.

Goodfella87
Road Apple

"Only in America"

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2004, 08:57:43 AM »

I'm not sure what my favorite scene is... that is nearly impossible to determine.  I can however name some memorable images from the film:

Deborah dancing in the storage room

Noodles sitting on the rooftop, while Max is 'having fun' with Peggy

Of course Patsy, Cockeye, Dominic, Max and Noodles walking together against the backdrop of the Manhattan Bridge

The End of Prohibition celebrators in their cars at the end of the film

The Chinese shadow puppets

Noodles seen from above smiling through the weaving

Noodles getting out of the limousine and trying to pay the driver after he has raped Deborah

Deborah and Noodles lying outside on the beach

Deborah walking through the Ghetto

All the memorable images during the first Speakeasy scene

The babies seen from above crying as the nurse tries to console them

Noodles and the gang driving past all the scuttled ships and boats after they've shot up the diamond dealers

The slow motion shot as the boys disperse running from Bugsy

That's all for now of course there are more.

THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2004, 04:08:24 PM »

I like Leone's self parody scene with the exchange of glances as Noodles stirrs the coffee, taps the spoon, takes a sip then looks back at them all. It's a great moment of tension, right at the heart of the film. Everything is happening here because all eyes are on Noodles, they want him to be strong, a leader, and even the score Max, but it's not going to happen. The rape and departure scenes have just proceeded this one and we know (and Noodles knows), he has lost Deborah forever. Destined to a life smoking opium and going to bed early
 The stirring of the Coffee cup was invented on the set by De Niro as a sort of homage to previous Leone films.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2004, 02:05:58 PM »

the cake scene.

"Everything coming up roses" as the salt dissolves and the red buoys pop up in the harbor.

The scene where Noodles comes back and Max has bought himself a throne.

The gang and Tuesday Weld get re-acquainted.

The scene where the other gang is dumping gasoline on Jimmy Clean hands

The scenes with Deborah when she's a kid - I didn't like McGovern as grown-up Deborah

Death of Dominic

Noodles returns to New York

More feeling.
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2005, 10:42:34 AM »

I would also like to add the shot of the young boys walking between the buildings and bridge. That's the most memorable scene. You see it on the front cover of DVD, the poster, the trailer, and on documentarys.

Once Upon A Time In America is the best film ever.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2005, 03:16:43 PM »

I'll rewatch this movie tomorrow, but I'll add my two cents now, because there are a few scenes from this film which have never left me from my first viewing. . .

- The scene where young Noodles and Max are beaten by Bugsy and his thugs - and Deborah watches.
- The Charlotte rousse
- Dominic's death and Noodle's revenge
- The image of Burt Young getting blasted in the eye
- The rape scene (not saying I liked it, but it was memorable)

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pesci
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »

Watched the film today again and another great memorable scene was definitely Burt Young telling his "cock insurance"-story. The way he delivered it - perfect!

"When you've been betrayed by a friend you hit back."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2005, 06:26:16 AM »

Watched the film today again and another great memorable scene was definitely Burt Young telling his "cock insurance"-story. The way he delivered it - perfect!

Oh I love the cock insurance!  "Life is funnier than sh!t" - classic line!

Pesci
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2005, 01:58:19 PM »

I also loved Joe Pesci in that part.
"The four horseman of the apocalypse. Have you seen that movie, Joe? It's a good movie."  Smiley

"When you've been betrayed by a friend you hit back."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »

I also loved Joe Pesci in that part.
"The four horseman of the apocalypse. Have you seen that movie, Joe? It's a good movie."  Smiley

Well, I could've guessed that you felt that way. . .  Wink Personally, though, I think they should've used him more.  A memorable cameo no doubt, but still. . .

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2005, 05:21:59 PM »

-Noodles' introduction in the Chinese theater with the flashbacks and clips of the night of the heist and the gang dead on the street.
-Max and Noodles' beating*
-Noodles' arrival at the speakeasy
-Pesci and Young's scene
-The dinner and dance with Deborah
-The rape scene*

* = Not exactly enjoyable, but in all Leone movies there's reference to beatings and rape and this movie did it with the most effect and impact.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2005, 06:05:06 PM »

For me its Noodles return to Fat Mo's as an old man. We have that fabulous, long crane shot of Mo closing up. The phone rings (we know who it is) and the crane drops down to De Niro in the phonebox. We then have Mo's shocked face, and finally, when he opens the door, a puff of smoke, and De Niro practically chucks a bucket of freezing water over the whole emotion of the thing by declaring "I brought back the key to your clock."

Its one of my fave crane shots ever, beaten only by Orson Welles legendary opening for TOUCH OF EVIL.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM