Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:04:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Most memorable scene in this film?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most memorable scene in this film?  (Read 47260 times)
Half-Soldier
Chicken Thief

"Adios, half-soldier"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2003, 09:11:20 AM »

Yep! O.K Cedet you win!! I  just checked on IMDB. Fart Face was indeed played by Richard Foronjy.
My apologies. You know, after seventeen years of watching this movie, I'm still learning.  

Cedet has a good grasp of this movie no doubt, check out his other posts, but he still hasn't said which is the most memorable scene for him?

"People with ropes around their necks don't always hang!"
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2003, 10:09:25 AM »

I have got a problem by choosing a memorable scene in the movie, but at this moment , I think the most powerful to me is when Noodles step into the Crypt and looked at the graves, in one second he sees all his past (and if you notice when the camera shows the names on the coffin, max's one is not perfectly readable)
the moment where he sees the sign on the wall: Friend and Brother is impressive in emotion, because we are Noodles a the moment, we are surprised by"Build by Noodles" just like Him

Pesci
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2003, 11:35:55 AM »

There are really lots of wonderful moments in this masterpiece:

- Noodles walks in 1968 through the night with the suitcase. A frisbee comes from the back (close up of the suitcase), he ducks - CUT! - back in 1933, Max takes Noodles' suitcase, which he had in the prison.
Wonderful editing in this great scene!

- Patsy waiting for Peggy on the stairs with the cake in front of him. He looks at the door, struggling with himself and starts slowly to eat the cake.
Great symbolizm of innocence in this scene.

- 1968: Noodles looks through the wall which he used to see Deborah in his youth - CUT - 1922: Deborah at the age of 13 dances in the room, young Noodles watches her.

- Noodles looks in the mirror while "Yesterday" is playing.

- Dominic is shot by Bugsy: "Noodles!... I slipped"

- 1922: Noodles in the police car - looking hopefully at Max, Patsy, Cockeye and Moe. He smiles and waves his hand.

Pesci

"When you've been betrayed by a friend you hit back."
Darius Fletcher
Road Apple

Wasn't it you who always said "No Bosses"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2004, 01:35:32 PM »

The gang in slow motion run from Bugsy, under the bridge with Ennio's music in the background. God, that Scene always gets me!!

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 04:09:52 AM »

has to be the end scene as de niro takes the puff in the den then slowly lies onto his back and smiles.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
El Topo
Road Apple

Reefer Madness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2004, 08:23:52 PM »

The scene where they go drop off the diamonds at the old shipyard....and we just hear the seagulls making noise (very spaghetti western)

DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 04:21:32 PM »

The bit where Noodles is driven into prison and waves to the gang, then Max glances upwards.....then it cuts to the Cemetery and the "Your youngest and strongest will die by the sword" plaque...

Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 02:36:31 AM »

Many memorable moments in this film, it's all memorable moments...
I'd have to say that one particular scene bothers me every time, though - when the Yesterday-muzak-supermarket-corny-pastiche-tacky-version kicks in.

That is so out of touch with the rest of the movie, it's not subtle enough, it' s right in your face, and it kicks me out of the mood of the movie rather than into it... the scene is made in a marvellous way - with the mirror and all - but the Yesterday-pastiche ruins it.

Your attention is going towards thinking "My god that's an awful version of a worn out song" and so you are ejected, in that moment, from the film itself - paradoxically you are suddenly removed from the very magic that the song is supposed to reinforce.

Luckily it doesn't last too long... It's the only moment in the movie that bothers me in this way... maybe it's just me.

Bill Carson
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2004, 12:36:21 PM »

Cool  yep. the last scene of Noodles smiling. mysterious and melancholy.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2004, 05:32:25 AM »

The famous Brooklyn bridge scene, when Dominic walks in front of the rest, and immediately after the run from Bugsy scene, in slow motion, with Morricone music and Gheorge Zamfir pan pipe.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2004, 06:38:56 AM »

I have been absent from this board for some time now, but was pleasantly surprised to see this topic still active. Thanks everyone!! I guess at this point it's also worth discussing Leone's quite wonderful scene transitions as this film is particularly rich with them. DJash picked up on probably my favourite, it gives me goose bumps just thinking of it. I also really like the 1930's New York photo in the station turning into the late 1960's New York with Noodles driving to Fat Moe's.

"What's a Mook?"
hailclinteastwood
Chicken Thief

fastest draw in scotland

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2004, 05:54:52 AM »

I gotta say my favorite scene is the one in the mirror when yesterday starts to play, a beautiful song with a beutiful peice of cinematography. although i also like the scene with the gasoline, scared the hell outta me

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2004, 03:30:50 PM »

The slow motion when the young Dominic is shot, marked by the beautiful flute music.
  Leone was a master in the uses of  slow motions.

alexander
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 04:57:03 PM »

yesterday.

the scene in DUMBO.

deborah taking off her makeup.

old max in the window.

noodles smiling.

all these scenes are incredible!

lhoimer2005
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 10:22:01 PM »

yeh, there are many memorable scenes in the film, but I would llike to bring your attention to one that is not mentioned hitherto.  

it's the one shortly after when Nero, in the 1920s (or 30s?) brought a one way ticket and then went to the counter the purchase something.  There de Nero stands on the left, in front of the counter and facing the vendor.  To the left, for about three to five seconds are three characters positioned in a trangle: one black man mobbing the floor,  behind him sits a woman, probably in her early fifty, eating a piece of bread, and to her right, is a man sleeping on the bench.  

I didn't catch the symbolism until very recently, for the scence I believe epitomizes the life of Noobles in exile, during which a defeated man drags a spiritedless existence for almost thirty years.  Like those three characters, he works, he eats, and he sleeps and nothing else.  This constitutes a big part of his tragedy.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM