Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 12:26:13 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Czech Republic not so well-known
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 8
: Czech Republic not so well-known  ( 22567 )
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« : September 25, 2006, 10:04:04 AM »

Am I off topic? Yes, I am. I'm IN off topic!

I'm proud inhabitant of one of the most diverse countries in Europe. And I think it's a pity that foreigners (and even Czech people) are usually visiting always the same places. I'm the last one to deny beauties of Prague. But, believe me, there are many other sites worth visiting. It's just that they usually aren't involved in baedeckers.

I mentioned in another thread (http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1277.30) that some places in my country could be used in a western film. Those who made Lemonade Joe knew that, too. ;) I'll try in this topic to show you such places, or places that have historical value, or even places that are interesting for railway fools and their relatives. ;D Those places, that I have visited. I'll add my own photos or links to photos online to show you. And I will always include a map of Czech Republic with that place highlighted.

The first one is going to be my all-time favourite:

Doubrava River Valley

Be excited about it, I have lots of beautiful photos. ;D I think it will be here tomorrow.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #1 : September 25, 2006, 03:23:02 PM »

Haven't they been making a lot of movies in your area recently?

Saturday nights with Groggy
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #2 : September 26, 2006, 12:31:26 AM »

Haven't they been making a lot of movies in your area recently?

They have, but mostly in studios, I think. I'll try to show you places, where probably no films were shot... and still they could be.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3 : September 26, 2006, 03:27:28 AM »

Show us where the girls are!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #4 : September 26, 2006, 03:36:45 AM »

Show us where the girls are!

No, that would be a quest for a Czech boy. ;)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #5 : September 26, 2006, 07:06:44 AM »

Well, show us where YOU are. :D

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #6 : September 26, 2006, 10:05:55 AM »

Well, show us where YOU are. :D

Maybe one day. It has historical value, so there could be something to show. And it's not far from Prague.

And, sorry, but that one I wanted to write about today will come tomorrow... OUATITW got the right of way. ;D

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #7 : September 27, 2006, 11:10:59 AM »

So here it is... sorry if it doesn't sound as great as it should - I'm a bit ill now and cannot find better way how to write it. :-\

Doubrava River Valley

It's a reservation, and rightly so. There are some endangered species of animals and flowers (I've never seen the animals, when I think about it, but the flowers cannot hide from you and stay where they are ;))

But what makes it so special for ordinary visitors, is the river itself and the rocks and forest on its banks.

There is a special path for tourists, and in many parts it's not possible to go somewhere else - on one side the river, on the other the rocks. Anyway, it's also better to stay on it, because it's reservation. In rainy days the path can be very wet and full of mud, but if you have good shoes, it's not so hard.
The whole path has about 4,5 km, so it's really a small area. That's the best thing on Czech Republic. ;) You don't have to go large distances to see a lot of interesting things.
I should mention one thing. We have very good system of signed paths. There are four colours of the signs, so you cannot be lost so easily - just follow the colour you chose (there are also signposts, of course). But if you want to be lost, you also can. ;D You can spent hours only walking in circles in the forest, if you want to.

This is also taken in that place, believe me... it was originally blue sign, but someone was patriotic and painted the bottom white strip red.

Oh yes, and the best maps are maps from Klub českých turistů (Club of Czech Tourists, which also makes those signed paths). Those are based on military maps, are very detailled, include the coloured paths, many of not coloured paths, towns and villages, railway, forests etc., and what is the very important thing, contour lines.

Enough of basic tips. Let's see what's in that place.
One higher rock called "Devil's Table". There's a legend about it. If you are interested in legends, tell me and I'll write it.
It works as a lookout. It's not on the main path, you have to climb a hill (sometimes really steep). There's a path, but it can be a bit adveturous...  A bit under Devil's Table, at the path to it, there's also a small cave.

This is from the side where are more trees...

I wanted to give you link to photo of the cave, but it's forbidden to go straight to the picture, so here is the site with lots of photos:
http://libicend.webpark.cz/fotodoubr4.htm

Another rock, where a castle was (but isn't anymore), called "Sokolohrady" ("Falconcastles"). It's in the third row on left and on bottom left (in the main frame). It's on the other bank than Devil's Table, right opposite it. There is a footbridge to get to it.

On the same bank, not exactly in the valley, there's also one interesting pond. It's covered by moss on the edge, so don't step on it! And there are some of the endangered flowers, especially some zoophagous. But I really strongly recommend you not to go too near to it... one never knows what is a firm land and what already isn't.

And then there's "Koryto" ("Trough"). It's a place, where the riverbed is very narrow, and there's also a small waterfall. You can find it on that site again.

Just next to it is something, what is called "Obří kotel" ("Giant Caldron") - it's not SO giant, but definitelly bigger than normal human one. ;)

OK, I think it's enough. I cannot show you everything, it's not as good as being there yourselves. ;D

Here's a site with wonderful photos - I must admit we never achieved such look...
http://photohalama.com/galerie.php?p=5 - the last 9 photos are from this place

Oh yes, and here's the promised map:

You can get there by car, but it lacks that romantic spirit in my opinion... better is to go by train (to Chotebor or Bilek) and then go there on feet. It's longer journey, but not too much. And that whole area is beautiful. (If you find forests and rocks beautiful - I do.)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #8 : September 29, 2006, 05:14:15 AM »

OK, Dave, next time it will be my town... probably on Monday, I'm leaving for the weekend.

So it will be
Český Brod

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #9 : September 29, 2006, 06:39:05 AM »

Gosh, man, one could have a ball there!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #10 : September 30, 2006, 05:15:13 PM »

Hey, little hedgehog, did you take all those digital snaps yourself? Very nice job.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #11 : October 01, 2006, 11:34:48 AM »

Hey, little hedgehog, did you take all those digital snaps yourself? Very nice job.

Please, GROUNDHOG! Or Marmot, it's easier to remember. I wouldn't mind so much if my sister wasn't called Hedgehog already. ;)

Actually, those are scanned photos (taken some years ago - but nothing changed on that place) and I guess they were taken by my sister and father. I have no camera that would be my own, so usually someone else takes the photos...
But I have some photos from my town taken by me (and really digital this time), so now it will be mostly my work, I guess.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #12 : October 02, 2006, 10:14:28 AM »

So here it is: my town

Český Brod (Cesky Brod. I'm never sure whether you see the diacritics or not. They're shown on my computer, but it doesn't mean anything.)

It means "Czech Ford" - there was a ford on a creek and it was in Czech area - in early Middle Age there were many kins of our nation and Czechs were only one of them, though they all spoke the same language.

It was founded in 12th century by a bishop from Prague (thanks to that it was called "Bishop's Ford" for about two centuries.) It was situated on one of the most important trade paths. It remained to these days in form of railway. ;)

As it seems, it was the first town subordinate to someone, that had its own townshall - in the begining of 15th century. (in our country, of course)
Here it is - but it was rebuilt in baroque era. And you cannot see a lot of it thanks to the small park...
http://www.kulturainfo-cesbrod.cz/mkic1.jpg

During the hussite wars this town stayed catholic, which caused that it was conquered by hussites. It's quite important event in history of this town, because, paradoxically, it meant it became even more important and got its authonomy.
And it kept it after the wars. The new king made it a royal town, which practically meant authonomy in those times.

After those events it was especially known for its beer. ;D It isn't anymore. (BTW, I don't drink beer...)

Then came an age of mess in our country again; if I wrote everything, it would be very confusing - simply it lost its position. One of the disasters for it were the wars - almost every army that went to Prague stopped here and ruined the inhabitants.

What helped it to become important again was the railway. One of the oldest in our country, built in 1845. But don't expect to see anything interesting on it nowadays. It's also the railway where they are trying everything new... except maybe the stations, but the one in our town is terribly dirty and neglected. So I won't show you. If you ever come here, don't be scared by it (if it will be still as terrible as it is) - the rest of our town is much better.

Then was built a beer factory. It isn't working anymore. Also a sugar factory. It was demolished last year, because it wasn't working and it was just another terrible neglected building. I only hope they won't build a shopping centre or something like that on its place.
I remember, when the sugar factory was working yet, it also always caused horrible smell in the whole town...
You can see food processing isn't what it used to be in our country...

The most important factory in our town now is a factory that makes gas heating. It's called "Karma" and this word is a synonyme for gas heating in Czech. So you can see how important it is. ;)

Uh. I think it was enough of speaking. Now it's pictures' turn.

Don't expect me to show you our house! There isn't anything interesting on it anyway, except the fact, that it was probably built in 18th century. But it's just a simple small house, so really nothing interesting.
But to soothe your curiosity, I'll show you photo of lilac in our garden. ;D

The dominant of our town (and its square) is surely the catholic church of St.Gotthard. It was originally gothic, but it was rebuilt in baroque style.

A statue on the church

Back side of the church - probably what remained from its gothic origin.

I just have to share this church handle...

Just next to the church is also a tower, a bell tower, built in 16th century.
A very typical picture of it...

...and not so typical one.

What's more interesting for me for personal reasons is the protestant church in park. It was originally a cemetery church, but cemetery was moved; and a protestant congregation moved to this church somewhen in 20th century. The church itself is from renaissance and nicely small.
Paradoxically, I canot find a good photo of it among our own photos, so here are links to photos taken by one of my friends:
http://podebradska-mladez.wz.cz/fotky/ceskybrod06/patek/IMG_3085.JPG  - stone pulpit on the front side
http://podebradska-mladez.wz.cz/fotky/ceskybrod06/patek/IMG_3076.JPG  - tower that belongs to it, former charnel house, now youth club
And the overall view, the best I could find, absolutelly bad quality...
http://www.cesbrod.cz/media/obrazky/kostel_trojice.jpg
I hope I'll still find better photo at home one day.

School where I used to go

Facade that needs restoration, but if it ever happens, it will be VERY nice

The row of oldest houses in our town, on upper square (we have two squares). Photo a bit older, taken by our friend, but with our camera. ;)

I'm sure I have more of good photos, I once borrowed sister's camera and went to streets with my friends and took photos of everything nice I could see... but I cannot find those photos.

Other advantages of our town:
  • The best patisserie in Middle Bohemia. Well, no competition was ever made, but according to what people from other towns say... (and what I've experienced ;))
  • A music and video store. It is said, that if you cannot find something in Prague, you'll probably find it there. I never tried it, but for sure, when my aunt wanted to buy Ice Age for my little cousin and couldn't find it in Hradec Kralove and grandma couldn't find it in Prague, she finally found it there.

The best thing on living in small town is, that you can walk just about 15 minutes and come to something, what could be called nature...
This place is called Mexiko for a reason.

Find a fly! ;D (The line on right side is a radio transmitter. There are two of them, two same transmitter towers, and everytime I come home from somewhere, they are the first thing I can see.)

And in the end the map again:

« : August 06, 2007, 09:33:52 AM marmota-b »

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #13 : October 02, 2006, 10:37:52 AM »

The second to last photo looks like the perfect location for a western.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #14 : October 02, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »

The second to last photo looks like the perfect location for a western.

Yes, it does, I love the photo.
It would be perfect. Except the transmitter. And the fact that it's a field, which means...
...soft soil
...you can never be sure whether it will look like this next time.
 :'(

: [1] 2 3 ... 8  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines