Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 04:08:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ménage à trois
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ménage à trois  (Read 1889 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:38:23 AM »

According to Partrick McGee, author of From Shane to Kill Bill: Rethinking the Western, p. 190: "In the original version of the film, both Irish Republicans, Sean and the comrade he eventually shoots, kiss the girl, though Leone saw this not as 'libertarianism and free love' but as a symbolic representation of their mutual longing for social revolution (quoted in Frayling 2000: 330)."

But this misrepresents what Frayling actually says:

“Leone noted that, in many countries, the last flashback to ‘the two Irishmen sharing the same woman’ was excised, which irritated him considerably. ‘This wasn’t just libertarianism and free love [emphasis added]; there was also a symbolic dimension. This woman represented the revolution everyone wanted to embrace. And Sean sees these images while smoking his strange cigarette. You don’t know if he’s dreaming, imagining or remembering . . . And I inserted the scene in such a way that Juan also sees Sean’s phantasm . . . So they are together again, just before the Irishman blows up.”

If I read that quote correctly, SL is saying that the utopian longing is over and above the free love, but the free love was present nonetheless.

BTW, the basis for the above, according to Frayling's footnotes, is Noel Simsolo, Conversations avec Sergio Leone (Stock, Paris, 1987) pp. 159-161, Gilles Cebe, Sergio Leone (Henri Veyrier, Paris, 1984) pp. 49-50, and what seems to be a periodical, Bianco e Nero September/October 1971, pp. 37-42. I have no idea if Frayling has used his sources correctly.

NB: In the above quote, SL uses "Sean" to refer to Mallory. Also, a "strange cigarette" is mentioned: could this be another appearance of the mighty Jimson weed?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:30:12 PM »

a "strange cigarette" is mentioned: could this be another appearance of the mighty Jimson weed?
John's cigarrette does have a resemblance to Indio's in FAFDM. Their both long and yellow. But John doesn't seem stoned out like Indio does when he takes a hit.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:32:47 AM »

I think they are yellow because they are probably using corn husks for rolling paper (its Mexico). lol.

But loco weed and marijuna would have different effects.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM