Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:47:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Get Carter
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get Carter  (Read 5338 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

I saw it when released in Italy (1971) and didn't like it very much then. Got me the dvd today and must say that I liked it much more: I was not impressed by the story, which is quite simple, maybe a little too much. But the use of the landscape is perfect: they scouted very well or maybe that was in the novel already, anyway it is one of the few action movies shot in Europe which compares well with the american products. Of course, the strenght of the movie lies in the Carter character, as tough as can be. And here lies the weakness of an otherwise impeccable movie: Caine is miscast. I think he's too slick for the part. Of course at the time he was Great Britain's most popular actor after Connery; still I think he tends to go over the top too often because hardness is not in his actorial luggage. This would have been rather a natural for a younger Stanley Baker. But I admit that in 1971 couldn't see a better alternative to Caine.

Tim
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:53:03 AM »

I haven't seen the original Get Carter, but I'm a big Michael Caine fan so I've kept my eyes open looking for it.  But if nothing else, and I feel very safe saying this, Caine's version is much better than the Sly Stallone remake.  Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:20:50 AM »

I was tempted to buy this as well as it was sold at the same low price (5 euros) I bought the original. But Stallone on the cover required a special effort on my side I wasn't able to deliver.

franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »

Do not miss this film one of the all time greats

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »

Do not miss this film one of the all time greats

I second that!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 09:23:17 AM »

Michael Caine was absolutely brilliant as Carter though i prefered seeing him in lighter stuff like The Italian Job and Gambit.
   Theres a few of Caines 1970's thrillers like Black Windmill and Silver Bears that used to be on the tv all the time in the 1980's but i haven't seen since Cry

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »

or maybe that was in the novel already,

Ted Lewis' novel, JACK'S RETURN HOME is set merely in a town someplace north of Doncaster, none of the Newcastle or Tyneside locations used in the movie are mentioned in the book.

Talking of the film's locations, there's one of those great little leaps of logic at the end of the picture, which makes location spotting so much fun.

Caine chases Ian Hendry along a huge wooden landing warf in Blyth, north of Newcastle. Hendry dashes off, and in the very next shot we see Caine catching up with him at the stunningly ugly coal removal chute at Blackhall Rocks, some 40 miles or so south on the coast. No wonder they are so bloody knackered when they get there. That's quite a jog, especially if you are weighed down with a double barreled shot gun.

Hendry also has the strangest accent I've ever heard. Is he supposed to be Scottish, Irish, Geordie, Macum or just confused?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 06:03:35 PM »

Talking of the film's locations, there's one of those great little leaps of logic at the end of the picture, which makes location spotting so much fun.

Caine chases Ian Hendry along a huge wooden landing warf in Blyth, north of Newcastle. Hendry dashes off, and in the very next shot we see Caine catching up with him at the stunningly ugly coal removal chute at Blackhall Rocks, some 40 miles or so south on the coast. No wonder they are so bloody knackered when they get there. That's quite a jog, especially if you are weighed down with a double barreled shot gun.

This kind of thing happens in films all the time, and you only pick up on it when the locations are familiar to you. Don't get me started on the John Wayne film McQ, which is set in my hometown, Seattle.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »

Black Windmill I found it slow, boring.

Anyway, I relented and got me the Stallone's movie to see what he did to it and I found it good into 3\4 of the story. Of course Stallone's Carter is different from Caine's, but I think that it makes more sense than Caine's, that it is more human not just a killing machine. Of course, there's the risk that it all degenerates in sentimental slop, and it does in the finale. Also I didn't find the logic of the story as good as I did in the older movie

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

(does Stallone kill Rourke? If so how can he escape police's search, as it does it in front of tens of people? Also, what's the role of Caine?)
But I liked the fact that the relationship between Carter and his niece (daughter?) is more developed here and makes his vengeance's thirst more believable. That was a thing that I found missing from the original which is still better, though, because of the locations and the english atmosphere, while those 2 car chasings in the new one are all deją vu.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:34:02 PM »

Resurecting this since my local video rental place went out of business I was able to pick up this VHS tape cheap also "Red Sun", and DVD's "The Color of a Brisk and Leaping Day" and "Brotherhood of The Wolf", I missed out on their Junet DVD's though  Cry .

Watched it agin just a few minutes ago and will be looking out for a DVD of it. It holds up over time and is still great and should be seen by everyone who is a Cane fan. I also watched Stallone's version a while ago and though different its almost as good though it does suffer the fate titoli mentions at the end.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »

I liked the original Get Carter. I'm not a big fan of Michael Caine's but he was good in the role. The remake, however, is very underrated in my opinion. I hate how people put down Stallone's acting. It absolutely makes me sick. Sure, he's had some dud's, but who hasn't? Here, we see Sylvestor Stallone's talent. People are to quick to judge Sly's films before even seeing them.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:28:43 PM »

I actually like Stallone is this and in Cop Land, where he's playing against type abit.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »

Watched it a few days ago.
I've always been a fan of Michael Caine so naturally I think it's geat. Afro

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 10:41:51 AM »

I've always been a fan of Michael Caine so naturally I think it's geat. Afro

He lives next door to me  Afro

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »

He lives next door to me  Afro

Leone Admirer. It would seem to me you have some serious connections. haha I mean first you know somebody that's good friends with Penelope Cruz, and now Michael Caine lives next door to you. I need to have a serious talk with you buddy.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM