Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:43:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Restored version at the Castro
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restored version at the Castro  (Read 3996 times)
BDR529
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2003, 01:59:39 AM »

Just saw the restored version at the Castro in SF, a great big screen in an old movie palace.  It was an awesome experience, with a great (if sometimes obnoxious) crowd.  I could tell that a lot of the people were seeing it for the first time, which was great!  Hearing the score and the new sound effects about as loud as a rock concert was indescribable--I broke into a huge grin during the opening titles, and I think it lasted most of the picture.  The previously mentioned dropped dialogue (e.g. the "four for you, four for me" scene) was there, no problems at all.  The new sound effects were great, if a little obvious at times.

I was sorely disappointed by the reinserted scenes, though.  I thought the one with Angel Eyes visiting the demolished fort worked really well (and the Angel Eyes voice was shockingly good), but the rest were awful.  Wallach apparently forgot how to do a Mexican accent, and his and Eastwood's voices have changed a LOT (which is entirely understandable).  And Angel Eyes's voice works only in the fort scene.  Of course, that's all my opinion.  But the scenes don't flow at all with the rest of the film.  I think it was a noble project, and they did the absolute best job they could, but I think a GBU restoration could have worked no less than twenty years ago.

All this was well worth it, however, just to see the film on a big screen with big sound, and as I mentioned, the new sound effects are great.  I don't want my complaints to sound as if I didn't appreciate the project or the final product.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 09:42:34 AM »

My opinion is that most of the restored scenes add value, especially Angel Eyes at the fort, Tuco & Blondie in the desert, Tuco stopping with the wounded Blondie, Tuco & Blondie leaving the mission.  As I stated before, the cave/chicken scene was OK, but didn't add too much, same with scene by stream with Blondie and Angel Eyes (we all know that film criminals can readily recruit "helpers" who usually die first).  Yeah, there were (mysteriously) two drop-outs were the sound was lower volume, don't have any idea why.

BDR529
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 04:23:03 PM »

I wasn't saying the scenes themselves weren't of value; on the contrary I think it's a downright trajedy that they were cut from the English version.  I'm just saying that the restoration didn't work, and I'm not sure that it could have worked at all, nearly forty years later.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 05:17:03 AM »

My love for this film overcame any flaws, it was a valiant effort.

I remember watching a restoration of a film (from the late 30's or early 40's) about a year ago where actual footage that was lost was replaced on the screen with stills while the diologue continued, it was the only way to keep up the integrity of the film. THe film may have been "Black Narcissus", or "Lost Horrison".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 09:47:02 AM »

i wonder what was going on inside leone's imagination the first time morricone submitted "ectasy of gold " to him ?  THIS IS IT. MY BOYS HAVE FOUND THEIR GOLD !!

i read when filming OUATITW that the score was finished before filming even started. {by the CJ have you noticed yet another dog inside the rebel fort setenza visits ?}

that score was played over speakers so the actors could get a "feel" for what  kind of mood leone wanted.  no hayse office. no hollywood rules. just one man. his team and his dream. and a thorough knowledge of no risk. no gain........................................................
i think i'lll  watch that bridge blow up just one more time.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 10:22:10 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 10:23:03 AM »

My love for this film overcame any flaws, it was a valiant effort.

I remember watching a restoration of a film (from the late 30's or early 40's) about a year ago where actual footage that was lost was replaced on the screen with stills while the diologue continued, it was the only way to keep up the integrity of the film. THe film may have been "Black Narcissus", or "Lost Horrison".

That film was Lost Horizon,I have the DVD.It did break up the film a bit but I was just glad they did the best they could.

i really can't wait to see this version of GBU,there must be a way to get it shown on the UK,even if just for one day,I'll happily bunk off work for it

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 04:07:47 PM »

Thanks Jon for the clarification, and Kermit I did post a correction on the triva page when I spotted the third dog, lol, now we have to just figure out which one was  the good, which the bad, and which the ugly, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM