Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 02:56:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Inland Empire
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inland Empire  (Read 4278 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:36:13 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/movies/01lim.html?_r=1&ref=movies&oref=slogin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »

Yea saw it in Sunday NYT  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:57:43 PM »

Jeff Jensen at EW.com posted this article today about David Lynch's new movie INLAND EMPIRE and DL in general, including his new coffee business.

"David Lynch Signature Cup," says the director, is taking on Starbucks. Lynch's beans will come packaged in stylish jet-black metal tubes that will include coasters emblazoned with Lynchian graphics including images from his movies...You'll soon find it at Davidlynch.com and at select movie theaters playing INLAND EMPIRE, too. "I think it's going to be...good coffee for the people," he says with a hint of a smirk, as if he's just said something rather sly.

article here; check it out--
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1564529_1_0_,00.html

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »

Why, why, why was it not possible to post the above here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4255.0

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:24:32 PM »

I'm shocked, shocked to discover that I missed Dave Jenkin's earlier thread on this film!

I guess it's because of the same reason that there are 5 different threads for THE PROPOSITION...

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 06:33:10 PM »

well, my interest in this thread is more in the product line(coffee) Lynch is producing

Roll Eyes

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »

Let's hope no fish have found their way into the percolator.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »

Well, last night at the NFT in London I saw INLAND EMPIRE. David Lynch himself was present for an audience Q&A afterwards too (HOORAY!), just to make things even more confusing. As I'm sure you know, the film is 3 hours long and extremely baffling, with Laura Dern playing (as least) 3 different characters, seemingly being watched on TV by an abused prostitute in Poland (or is it one of the Baltic states?) and who's future is being predicted by an extremely frightning Grace Zabrinskie (Laura Palmer's mother in TWIN PEAKES).

Frankly round about 2 and a half hours in I found it impossible to retain any sort of grip on what was going on, and could only give in to it's surface charms as a work of video experimentation and Lynch's seemingly effortless ability to turn the most ordinary and unpromising situations into horrific and terrifying images of the irrational.

Definatley one you have to see more than once...

Where this film seems too inpenetrable is partly due to it's running time. Lynch is the master of displacement, in the way Freud defines the term in "dream work". With 3 hours of sound and picture to keep up with though (with some of the dialogue and images (lamps again folks) repeated over and over), like the nature of a dream itself, the key to interperetation is lost under the sheer weight of dream work material.

Lynch spoke a lot about Trancendental Meditation, and early on enthused about how it revealed to him the Cosmos as "a beautiful place", and, I swear he actually said this, "full of happy, wagging puppy dog tails". And yet he can make a film as dark and relentlessly grim as INLAND EMPIRE.

If you remember that little boys are made of puppy dog tails however, and the film's almost feminist obsession with male brutalisation of women ("Tits. Tits and ass." as one woman defines herself), perhaps he was being more arch than his "Gee whizz" delivery would suggest?

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:46:09 AM »

cool.. lookin forward to checking it out.

a lynch Q&A? nice...

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »

I wonder if Lynch's coffee business takes part in the exploitation of african  coffee farmers?

http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »

I wonder if Lynch's coffee business takes part in the exploitation of african  coffee farmers?

http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

yeah, wondering that myself... been following the free trade movement for a while now.. not many people out there aware that the coffee they're drinking is the product of slave labor

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 07:04:06 PM »

I wonder if you wonder?

It's not readily available where I live, but just looking it up on this web site called "google" (crazy name huh?) I see it is a pretty expensive, organic product. Organic farmers get their money's worth. I've spent a lot of time arguing the worth of Lynch's film's before, but this is the first time I've argued the worth of a film makers coffee.  Cheesy

Mind you, I haven't tasted it, and it may be awful. With extra added fish. Anybody out there able to give us a review?

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 08:17:26 AM »

of course it's expensive, all coffee is expensive. that doesn't mean that the farmers get paid proper. I cant remember how much they get paid per kilo down there, but it is ridiculously low.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:13:30 AM »

Let's try and find out where he sources his organic beans from first, before chucking about allegations of "slavery". Sadly I haven't had any luck on getting that info off teh interwebs thingy.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »

I'm not saying he does it, or even does it consciously. just saying there is a possibility  Undecided

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM