Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:27:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)  (Read 10620 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »

perhaps, but I didn't like BC&tSK much. Haven't seen TLaToRB

I once called called BC&tSK a schizophrenic movie; you can say the same about TBOCable Hogue.

I was modifying while you posted added the other MVW's that I could remember, there may be more.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:46:17 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »

I was modifying while you posted added the other MVW's that I could remember, there may be more.

haven't seen The Duchess & the Dirtwater Fox, either  Wink

btw, have you seen Buck and the Preacher (1972) ? (annoying opening score with endless mindless use of the jews harp made me shut it off after a few mins.) but it seemed from the few minutes I saw, it may fit your sub-sub-sub Western category (certainly is in that time period). or am I way off?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:44:45 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »

haven't seen The Duchess & the Dirtwater Fox, either  Wink
Neither have I. But I have rafted on the very spot made famous by the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »

I finally watched this. The excitement started falling exponentially with each passing minute, so I had to reset the clock after an hour or so and re-start the next day. What a boring, childish, poor pretense of a movie... I really am not writing this just to antagonize the lot of you here who liked it, but really, I simply could not find a single thing besides Robards worth a passing grade... The philosophy flowing through it seems like a mesh of a child's understanding of the world and a drunkard's delusions about it, sadly, with talent for film-making. It's hard for me to believe the studios ***somehow*** managed to destroy this movie's reputation, what's more likely - they raised it beyond its true quality level.

4/10 (at best)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »

I'm not trying to antagonize you (too much), but American Westerns don't seem to be your thing and this movie sort of pays homage to them (and the west in general).

And like OUATIA, this also has a dream theory, and movies with solid dream theory scenarios can not suck. It's written somewhere.

The funny thing is Mr. blood 'n guts & misogyny, Sam Peckinpah, was one of the most romantic (for a lack of a better word) filmmakers of all time.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »

The movie also has several connections to OUATITW.

About Americas Ws: I usually do prefer Spaghetti's (it's hard to override what you learned as a kid), but a good one is a good one. Here I really wanted to like this movie... The major problem is Sam Peckinpah: having first watched PGABTK of all of his movies, which still is at the top of my favorite Ws list (despite KK and Bob Dylan), I just felt everything else (few noble exceptions aside) was a steep downride. The saddest thing in this world I think is watching potential not being developed in the proper way. In that department Sam, God bless his soul, climbs up to the very top.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »

I think he developed enough, and Cable Hogue is one of his loveliest characters, and a fine film. Peckinpah like Cable often found water were it wasn't.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »

Warner Blu due June 13: http://videoeta.com/log/?blu-ray

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »

Nice!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ballad-of-Cable-Hogue-Blu-ray/44310/

I'll definitely double dip for this as long as the transfer is good. I really wish they would release the Peckinpah westerns collection on bluray but it seems like box sets aren't much of a thing anymore.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »

According to Blu-ray.com:
Special Features and Specs:
•NEW Remaster
•Audio Commentary by Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
•Featurette - "The Ladiest Damn'd Lady: An Afternoon with Stella Stevens"
•Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)
•Optional English SDH subtitles

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »

I wouldn't be doing my Peckinpah acolyte duties if I didn't add my review.

Peckinpah's lyrical vision of the West provides humour and comfort to director and viewer alike.

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue sees Sam Peckinpah in jolly form. There is nothing here to trouble the censors, a bit of violence here and there - and some nasty human traits seam through the story, but this is purely a funny and touching movie that again deals with a Peckinpah fave theme of the Old West passing. Only difference is here he has his tongue firmly in cheek as he observes the thirst for finance sweeping across the country.

Cable Hogue is a prospector left for dead in the desert by his two double-crossing partners Bowen & Taggart. Wandering across the desert talking to god, Hogue collapses during a sandstorm and finds mud on his boot, after digging down for a while he finds the miracle of water (though Hogue badly misspells this on his advertisement). An encounter with preacher Joshua convinces Hogue to go patent his spring and make a killing selling water to the passing stagecoach trail that runs by his newly found oasis. After striking a deal in the town of Dead Dog, Hogue is set up nicely while into the bargain he falls for gorgeous prostitute Hildy. The film cheekily (just like Hogue) has established itself as a fine piece by the time it takes it's dark turn. It seems that revenge is the new found recipe on the Cable Springs Menu.

This was Sam Peckinpah's favourite film from his own CV, it's his most personal, he apparently saw a lot of himself in Cable Hogue, and with that in mind the film does gain a bit more emotional heart. But strikingly, it's the humour in there that shouldn't be understated, this was the director at one with himself, and the result is lyrical deftness. The cast are great, Jason Robards is wonderful in the title role, Stella Stevens as Hildy shows a fine actress at work. So much so it only makes me lament that she didn't have a great and industrious career post Cable Hogue. Peckinpah faves Strother Martin, L.Q. Jones & Slim Pickens reward their loyal director with impacting shows, while David Warner as the confused preacher Joshua practically steals the film with his hedonistic leanings.

Don't go into this film expecting a blood and thunder Western and you will be pleasantly surprised at it's heartbeat. Different sort of Peckinpah, but it's also essential Peckinpah. 9/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »

https://trailersfromhell.com/the-ballad-of-cable-hogue/

Savant makes the case for Hogue being a musical (at least in part). I'd never thought of it before, but I guess this film would make a good double bill with Paint Your Wagon.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ballad-of-Cable-Hogue-Blu-ray/44310/

I'll definitely double dip for this as long as the transfer is good.
Reach for your wallet!
For this 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray, the Warner Archive Collection commissioned a new scan, which was performed by Warner's Motion Picture Imaging facility at 2K using a recently struck interpositive. An original 1970 dye transfer (IB) Technicolor answer print was used for color reference; although the answer print itself was battered, Technicolor's dye transfer process is noted for its resistance to fading. The Blu-ray image reflects the care with which MPI has managed the film's many dissolves and superimpositions, which were accomplished optically with the concomitant loss of detail and sharpness and accentuated grain. Cable Hogue's opticals blend smoothly into the flow of the film, never standing out as qualitatively distinct. It helps that Ballard's photography has a soft, film-like texture that doesn't sacrifice image detail. Cable's weather-beaten attire (which is replaced by finery, as he prospers), Hildy's playfully come-hither outfits, and Rev. Joshua's dusty black uniform are all reproduced in detail, along with the copious sand of Cable Springs and the hardy creatures who inhabit it (mostly rattlesnakes and lizards), and the gradually improving structures of Cable's desert establishment. The film's palette is consistently dusty and faded, except for a few eruptions of richly saturated color, mostly near the end. The grain pattern is natural and finely rendered. WAC has mastered Cable Hogue at its usual high bitrate, here 34.99 Mbps.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ballad-of-Cable-Hogue-Blu-ray/44310/#Review

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 02:05:41 AM »

A shame Warner doesn't include supplements produced by free-lancers any longer.
I shot interviews with 5 people who had worked on the film. Well at least it
is finally available. Meantime I finished work on the JUNIOR BONNER Blu-ray...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM