Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 09:13:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Man Called Django! - A.K.A. - W Django! (1970)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Man Called Django! - A.K.A. - W Django! (1970)  (Read 8211 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 12:09:06 PM »

W DJANGO!- 1972

Anthony Steffen, Stellio Candelli

A woman is raped and murdered by a gang of thugs. The bounty hunter Django, the woman's husband, goes after the men responsible for her death. He frees a Mexican bandit about to be hanged. Turns out the bandit knows who the men are and where they can be found. The two form an alliance of sorts to bring down the bad guys. There's also a subplot about a sympathetic bartender whose wife is openly having an affair with one of the hoods that have taken over the town.

Steffen is really spot on here. This is my favorite film of his that I've seen. Steffen plays Django as a most sophisticated gunslinger. He constantly has the upperhand over his adversaries and sometimes it's quite ingeniously done. Other times it's a bit unbelievable but the film never quite takes itself too seriously often having light comedy sprinkled about the film.

Django at first believes the Mexican was there that night when his wife was killed but evidence shows he was still in prison on that night. Three men remain and they all are well off financially. One of them is even a Major. There is a rather humorous plot device involving a wagon load of rifles that the villains want to get ahold of. Several times Django obtains the wagon only to lose it again moments later. But even when the villains manage to gain the upper hand, Django has already done something to make sure the odds remain in his favor.

Directed with assured flair by Eduardo Mulargia who also directed the dismal BROTHER OUTLAW and SHANGO which I have yet to see. A most underrated or seldom discussed movie, Mulargia possesses a professional hand this time. Much better than I thought it was going to be, W DJANGO! (What's the W stand for?) is one of the better DJANGO "sequels" and one of the most likeable Steffen roles.

Very action oriented, the film moves along at a fair clip and although the ending is telegraphed early on, the character of Django is so cool and sure of everything he does, Steffen, for once keeps your attention the duration of the picture. A very good time is to be had here. This release from New Entertainment is uncut although I don't know what was cut from other releases. This disc has an english track and has been beautifully remastered.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 02:46:37 PM »

I have the awful "Dagored" release (stay away from this dvd!).

The movie is a fun one.
My main complaint is it doesn't know what it wants to be. A gritty SW or a comedy (the bed pulling scene was unfunny and overlong).
You can clearly see that Robert Rodriguez "lifted" Django's stick-arm gag (those who have seen the movie know what I mean) for the Johnny Depp character in his film "Once upon a time in Mexico".

The "Dagored" R1 release is a mockery. The supposed remastered transfer is in terrible condition and it is heavily cut (by 10 minutes I think).

AC: my dvd runs 80 minutes. How long is your's?

Also if you enjoyed this one I would recommend Steffen's "Apocalypse Joe". Great popcorn fun with even more creative ways of dispatching enemies.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 02:52:27 PM »

It's 89 minutes. The comedy was very low key and IMO, never threatened to take away the seriousness of the film. The comedy was more or less to demonstrate Django's superiority over the bad guys. Now if Carnimeo had done this...well that's a different story. Smiley

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 05:03:50 PM »

I have the awful "Dagored" release (stay away from this dvd!).
Yes i have the same version so its just as well this is an enjoyably engaging sw all the way through! Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM