Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 05:55:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Man Called Django! - A.K.A. - W Django! (1970)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Man Called Django! - A.K.A. - W Django! (1970)  (Read 8201 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:47 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069479/

(some roles are wrong, Carranza is played by Onorato -the italian voice for Bud Spencer!)

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/w_django.htm

In the italian review linked above it is said that the total amount of dead is 79, which should be a record. Another record, unmentioned there, is that not a drop of blood is spilled. This is a movie shot in Italy, which slides along very well if you like the Sartana-Sabata kind of action, well played (Steffen is not the same actor rather wooden and ridiculous we had seen in Django the Bastard) and the others. The Story is rather unimaginative, but two or three gimmicks and the fast rhythm help it not result tedious.     

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:05:26 PM »

I'm going to be viewing this movie very soon (within the next week) so I'll leave my two cents here when I do see it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »

Onorato, a dubber by trade, is dubbed here by Amendola sr.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:46:04 PM »

The main gripe I have with this movie is it doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy or a serious action flick. That "pulling the bed" gag was overdone and unfunny. And that bit of slapstick in the beginning with the fat guy emerging from the explosion of dynamite covered in ash was too Looney tune esq. for this type of film.
Otherwise, entertaining with a decent main score.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:49:59 AM »

Though i've watched it once so far I thought Wdjango was very entertaining.
Titoli i think that Steffens wooden portrayal in Django The Bastard is probably intentional because he is this ghostly figure plus we do see a completely different (and more human) Django character in the flashbacks.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 01:48:51 PM »

Well, in that case the fault lies on the director's shoulders.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »

Interesting tid bit...

In "W Django" Steffen uses a wooden stick tucked under his sleeve to simulate a raised hand in order to fool the bad guys into thinking he is unarmed.

The same trick was used (ripped off rather) in Robert Rodriguez's "Once upon a time in Mexico".

The Johnny Depp character has a mechanical fake hand.

see a clip of it on this vid. The clip is on the 1:08 time code.

EDIT: NEVERMIND.

here is a better vid depicting the "third arm".

it appears on 51 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8wlfj9JWHU&mode=related&search=

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:21:15 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 03:42:35 PM »

I think the gimmick was a staple in some slapstick movies of the '50's and '60's. There's a famous one my memory is not able to come up with at the moment (maybe a Fantomas with De Funés?). Anyway, in the Steffen's movie the trick results effective because one (or at least me) doesn't expect it to be utilized. As you have remarked, this is a movie straddling awkwardly the divide between slapstick and drama.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:55:45 PM »

Right, I saw W Django! and Face to Face for the first time today. W Django was extremely average I thought. Well, i actually thought it was a tad  below average, for the same reason Firecracker brought up: The slapstick comedy in some parts is overdone and unfunny. I saw it in widescreen, but the transfer was very terrible, but I doubt that retracted from my experience of it TOO much.

The score was par for the course. There were some elements  that I liked (Steffen is good, the gunplay is fair enough, etc.) that save this movie from being a failure, and instead keep it in the realm of a fair spaghetti: it's watchable, and fairly enjoyable. Not one I'll be going out of my way to view again any time soon, but any spag would seem worse once you've just got done with Face to Face  Shocked . That was a magnificent film.

Anyways, this was my first Django "sequel" but I think Viva Django and Django the Bastard look cool.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:00:34 PM by Silenzio » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 11:21:11 PM »

Anyways, this was my first Django "sequel" but I think Viva Django and Django the Bastard look cool.

You saw the same transfer I have. It's from a company called "Dagored" they specialize in putting sleazy underground films out on the market (stay away from their stuff at all cost! Their prices are criminal and their transfers are $hit!).

I would give "W Django" another view eventually. It certainly has a great spaghetti feel and has it's fair share of classic moments (the big reveal and the freeze frames at the end).

The Dagored version is also cut to ribbons (10 minutes) and is very noticiable as it jump cuts quite often.

Out of the two un-official Django sequels you mentioned I would say "Django the bastard" is the best of the two (and among Steffen's best).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 05:52:29 AM »

Not really a sequel as Corbucci only made the one movie though undoubtably a cash-in on the name,like dozens of others unfortunately,though saying that Ferdinando Baldi's Viva Django(Terence Hill is brilliant in this role) plays out like a prequel.
  You can't go wrong with either Viva Django or Django The Bastard as they're both great.The only true sequel to Django is Django Strikes Again starring Franco Nero,made 20 years later but surprisingly good.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 06:00:26 AM »

Silenzio,heres an excellent site for Django related sw's:-

http://www.una-bara-per-django.de/index.htm

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 07:20:16 AM »

Not really a sequel as Corbucci only made the one movie though undoubtably a cash-in on the name

I know, that's why I put "sequel" in quotation marks.

And thanks a lot for that website.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 11:26:42 AM »

Silenzio,heres an excellent site for Django related sw's:-

http://www.una-bara-per-django.de/index.htm

WOW that guys top ten spaghetti list has got to be worst I have seen.

"Adios Companeros" is on the list!!! jeez.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 05:40:53 AM »

Here's Firecracker's  review from his Crap SW Thread:-

review of W Django(aka A man called Django)

for those who have eyed this on wwwxploitedcinema.com dont even think about it. it is not worth the 20 dollar or so price tag. save it for something else.

anthony stephen stars as django and he is in search for the men that raped and killed his wife. first off i was expecting the transfer to be decent since i am paying over 20 dollars for it. boy was i wrong. the thieving bastards who made this dvd should be ashamed of themselves. the transfer is pretty bad and the movie is cut to ribbons. there are several scenes where at least a second of film is skipped. you can tell by the missing frames. and this doesnt happen just once or twice. it happens at least a total of seven times(which is unexceptable!). they could have at least been discrete about it, but no, they dont even give the viewer enough credit to be sneaky about them leaving out shots. they figured "just take out shots, these morons wont tell the difference."

also the film while entertaining, is not much of a gem for you tell shell out 20 bucks for. the film cannot decide whether to take the plot seriously or to treat it as a slapstick comedy. there are times when the action is deadly serious with gritty realism, then when django ties a rope to his enemy's bed to his horse and takes the bed for a joy ride....you cannot help but shake youre head in embarassment.however there are a few neat little moments in W Django from keeping it from being a total loss, for example for those who have seen Once upon a time in Mexico, most will remember the johnny depp character to have a fake third arm to fool enemys into thinking he is dis-armed. well the same is true in this film. there is a scene where steffen uses a fake wooden arm. apparently robert rodriguez saw this film. also there is a nice twist ending in the film(though you could see it coming from a mile away).

DONT PAY FOR THIS!
if you could get it for a good $7.99 that is fine but the 20 dollars price tag is not acceptable.

all and all...dont waste youre time. steffen has done better spaghetti westerns then this garbage.

CRAP METER:4

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: 7

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:44:55 AM by Banjo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM