Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:36:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  El Condor (1970)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: El Condor (1970)  (Read 20339 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »

on Amazon vhs but only $5 a piece, not bad, reviews to follow.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »

Watched "El condor" up until they reach the fort that will be eventually be robbed (I would imagine).

haven't gotten around to finishing it. It ain't bad. I like LVC as a comic character.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 08:39:46 PM »

I saw it 36 years ago on Times Square NYC, I'll see how my memory of it holds up  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:07:06 AM »

Its OK but doesn't really stand up to repeated viewings
Not the sort of LVC character that i can warm to. Undecided

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:32:10 PM »

Saw this 36 years ago on Times Square in NYC. Got a tollerably Good VHS of it on Amazon.com for about $5.

It was directed by John Guillermin, and stars Lee Van Cleef, Jim Brown, Patrick O'Neal, Marianna Hill, Iron Eyes Cody, Elisha Cook Jr., and Dan Van Husen. It was made around the Blaxplotation Era, its not great but its not bad as far as an action fick goes. The score by Jaffe is nothing to get worked up about,

Its supposed to take place at the end Maxamilian's Mexico reign (1867) , but all the Colts are vintage 1873 Peacemakers, so any historical reality is lost at the git go.

Its highlight for me (and the reason for any Lee Van Cleef fan to get this film) is Van Cleef's turn as a character named Jaroo.

Jaroo is as far from Van Cleef's Mortimer as you can probably go. Here he plays a somewhat shallow, alcoholic, happy go lucky Indian Trader, an Apachero so to speak, who has lived on and off with the Apaches. He's a dusty, scrawny looking saddle bum, his trademark hawk like face in this film is transformed more into a beady-eyed weasel. He wears a two bearclaw necklace around his neck and a small poke that holds two gold nuggets. We first meet him as he guzzeling down some whiskey in a bar.

But this is more a vehicle for Brown, and we meet him first at a prison camp, he plays a character named Luke & he is shackled to Elisa Cook Jr. Cook tells him about El Condor fort sort of the Ft. Knox of Mexico. Luke is summond to the commandants office and offered a pardon if he would join up with General Sherman. But he escapes and heads for the gold of El Condor.

Luke teams up with Jaroo since Jaroo can get Apache Chief Santana and an army of Apache Warriors to attack the fort for plunder rather than the gold and then Luke & Jaroo can split the Mexican Treasury.

Patrick O'Neal is the Mexican General in command of El Condor and knockout Marianna Hill his mistress. O'Neal is ok in the role and Hill does a full frontal striptease at a crucial plot point, wow. She's got quite the uhhh... , rack  Grin, and all of us Clint fans will recognise her from her role of town tramp Calle Travers from High Plains Drifter.

Now I know why we never see this film on TV, lots of bare flesh throughout.

There is a great sequence in a Mexican town where Jaroo has a scene with a small Mexican boy that is pretty touching. Later there is another good sequence when Jaroo gets "gold fever".

Shot in Almeria. Just treat this more as mindless entertainment, with a very good performance by Van Cleef. It could have been way better than it is but it was made to just cash in on the SW craze.

Its better than I remembered.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:26:52 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:34:46 AM »

Its highlight for me (and the reason for any Lee Van Cleef fan to get this film) is Van Cleef's turn as a character named Jaroo.
Well not a highlight for me but still the only reason i've kept this on video tape though the storyline ain't bad at all.I like the way both LVC and Jim Brown dupe everyone into believing its not just them two who are holding the fort, together with its loot Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:23:56 AM »

Van cleef as Jaroo:

and with "gold fever":

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 09:27:08 PM »

SPOILERS

Just finished watching this and boy am I angry. Why did LVC have to die? What nonsense. If your gonna have such a downer ending to an otherwise light hearted movie then kill BOTH heroes off please Angry

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 01:30:14 AM »

Expanding on my thoughts from earlier...

I liked it. In fact it's probably the best LVC and Jim Brown vehicle out there (their are three. "Kid Vengeance", "Take a hard ride" and this film).
Some idiot imdb reviewer said there were too many plot holes, i didn't even catch one.
But I wouldn't worry about it too much though, this same reviewer called this one of the worst films he has ever seen Roll Eyes

I agree with Joe on LVC's performance. He's great as the comical Jaroo. He really shows his range here. In fact the film potrays him as a more likable character then it does the Jim Brown character, which makes the ending all the more frustrating Angry.

I was surprised to see the large amounts of nudity (everything is shown! Even female genetelia!) and sometimes brutal violence in a PG rated film. Yes PG-13 didn't exist at the time but this easily earns an R. Jaroo's constant cursing doesn't help the child friendly rating either.

They put money into this pic. One scene has a large amount of extras getting gun downed in a large raid inside a castle like fortress. Lot's of pyrotechnics and such as well.

There is much to catch here, not just LVC's fun performance.

I still prefer LVC's other American "spaghetti esq" western better (Barquero).

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:32:11 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 03:44:54 AM »

I still prefer LVC's other American "spaghetti esq" western better (Barquero).

I like Barquero better too, but LVC is not given enough to do in that film sadly, he seems more of a gruff stand-offish character who is neither colorful or very interesting.

Looks like he had a lot of fun portraying Jaroo in El Condor.

The VHS tape box that I got of El Condor has an "R" rating on it and also a green band around the top with "Adult Action" printed on it.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:48:20 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 06:12:26 AM »

Why did LVC have to die?
I have the same probem with Day Of Anger Sad
Like yourself and CJ i prefer Barquero too.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 10:13:26 AM »

I have the same probem with Day Of Anger Sad

Yeah but it's too be expected in "Day Of Anger". He's a nasty guy there.

Here the only time he stepped out of line was when he kills Santana.

I think we can all agree that Jaroo is much more likable then Luke who just kinda has no real personality of his own (an arguement can be made that Jaroo is also the more sympathetic of the two).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 11:14:49 AM »

Here the only time he stepped out of line was when he kills Santana.

And then he was under the influence of greed & "gold fever".

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »

And then he was under the influence of greed & "gold fever".

I wouldn't say that.

He was only defending himself from Santana who drew his blade first.

He knew the Apache's would kill both him and Luke when they found out that they were duped.

LVC never really comes off as a greedy man. Remember he was more than content with the small bundle of gold General Chavez gives him (so what if it was all led, Jaroo didn't know). Luke is the one who wants the whole kitten kaboodle.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »

LVC never really comes off as a greedy man. Remember he was more than content with the small bundle of gold General Chavez gives him (so what if it was all led, Jaroo didn't know). Luke is the one who wants the whole kitten kaboodle.

Yea that's true.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM