Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 10:10:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cry, Onion! aka Cipolla Colt (1975)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cry, Onion! aka Cipolla Colt (1975)  (Read 11071 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2006, 07:00:18 AM »

I've heard about it from my grandma, who said she liked it a lot. She doesn't remember what was its name and generally not even the plot. She only knows the hero was travelling and selling onion and smeled of it terribly, which caused nobody dared to fight with him, or something like that. Do you have any idea what could that be? She said it could be Italian.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:03:39 AM by Banjo » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 07:23:56 AM »

Come on! These are not question to be posted here! Visitors might think we are amateurs!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072785/

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:32:14 AM »

Thanks a lot, maybe I am amateur. Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 07:38:39 AM »

Yeah, but the trick is not showing it.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 07:42:52 AM »

Many films have different names in Czech or aren't available here, you know... I haven't found it on Czech film database. Though it must be available in Czech, at least in TV or cinema archives, because how would my grandma have seen it if it wasn't?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:14:37 AM »

Hm... I really am amateur and I'm not hiding it, because this was really stupid from me... it is on the Czech database, only with different year.

Anyway, thank you again, a lot, with this stupidity of mine I would never find it. Grin

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 11:15:28 AM »

Ha,ha i watched this the other day and Cry Onion is nowhere near as bad as its cracked up to be-in fact its a total hoot. Cheesy
Franco Nero plays an eccentric onion farmer called Onion with an ok-ish James Stewart like voice overdubbed and he's in a battle with some greedy oil barons over a piece of land.With oodles of sight gags,slapstick and speeded up fun this is more Keystone Cops/Chaplin territory than Django but Nero  armed with his onions which he crushes to squirt them like water pistols is very good,the film very watchable and definately funny in places.
Anyone who enjoyed Tomas Milian in the Providence films shouldn't overlook this equal oddity. Wink

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:26 AM »

Banjo, could you explain me what hoot means? Grin The wordbook I use says something, which probably has nothing to do with this meaning...
However, I'm glad my grandma wasn't the only one to like it. Wink I only wonder how to see it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »

I saw the first part and never found the will to see the second. The problem is this is not Nero's territory, maybe not even Terence Hill's. But maybe in czech turns up better.

Marmota, see definition number 3 at noun:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hoot

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 01:00:53 PM »

Thank you.

Grandma obviously has soft spot for western parodies, she also liked Support Your Local Sheriff and Lemonade Joe (but said the first two were better because no one was singing in them.) Unfortunatelly, I haven't seen the first two, so I cannot compare. I only can say, that I'm convinced Lemonade Joe must be better in Czech. Only this one scene that's on IMDb...

Grimpo: Allow me to introduce my collaborators. This is Coyote Kid, and this is Pancho Kid.
Lemonade Joe: I do not care for your kids.

In Czech the word he actually uses is "kydy" and that means something like guff, bull-you-know-what. It's said "Are you kidding?" in English, so the evidence is still there, but it's not so obvious.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 02:43:27 PM »

The problem is this is not Nero's territory, maybe not even Terence Hill's.
Don't  see why this shouldn't be Nero's territory as he's proved with his other sw's he's more than comfortable with comedy and he was obviously having a hoot in making this film.
Despite its reputation i don't think a movie involving Enzo Castelari and Franco Nero can be all that bad and i can see kids or fans of the silent comedy era absolutely loving this moving.Its certainly holds the attention more than certain other sw's i've seen recently.Tonight  i just finished watching Alive Or Preferably Dead starring Giuliano Gemma which was ok if a little dull-but Cry Onion was definately more fun. Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 06:48:10 PM »

he's proved with his other sw's he's more than comfortable with comedy

Probably. But is comedy comfortable with him?

No, I think comedy is for Gemma or Milian or Hill\Spencer. But Nero: he's not an actor (we went into this before) so he must play, in my opinion, only taciturn revenge heroes.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 05:10:07 AM »

But Nero: he's not an actor (we went into this before)
  Where?-i must've overlooked this.He must have a reasonable reputation as an actor judging by his filmography.I've seen next to nought (i think only Die Hard 2 Roll Eyes ) outside of his westerns but i was very impressed with his acting in Man,Pride and Vengeance.
About the comedy-weren't you impressed with Nero in Mercenary or Companeros.Nero was also very effective with the more slapsticky stuff in Long Live Your Death.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 06:52:00 AM »

No, he just exaggerates his facial mimicry, never in accord with the hang of the scene. I think I discussed this in relationship with Eastwood (another non-actor) but maybe you didn't enter that discussion.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 02:56:46 AM »

More old threads to revive!

I've finally seen this. I can see why grandma likes it, but from her choice, I enjoyed both Lemonade Joe and Support Your Local Sheriff much more. This is too over-the-top for me. My sister, who can swallow much more in the crazy comedy genre than I can, said she didn't like the dirtyness of the whole thing. As you can guess, she's not really a fan of spaghetti westerns, but as far as I know, she liked both My Name Is Nobody and They Call Me Trinity. But she seemed to like this even less than me, and seeing how much she's into crazy comedies, I think that says something.
Still it's not so bad as this would make you think. It just isn't everyone's cup of tea (or onion juice).

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM