Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:22:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  the frisbee scene
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the frisbee scene  (Read 9693 times)
Drizzt
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2003, 03:39:19 AM »

Hey Guys. I'm new to your board. My name is Jorge, I'm a South African of Portuguese origin. I'm a Sergio Leone & Spaghetti Western fanatic. The reason I've never joined your board before is that I belong to the Spaghetti Western board and am pretty happy there. The reason I'm joining now is that I need an answer to a non SW question. It relates to OUATIA:
In the first transition from '68 to '32, a frisbee flies over 'old Noodles' head and gets cought by an unidentified hand. I guess it's probably some street punks wanting to mug Noodles, could be wrong. Is there a deleted scene somewhere that explains this.

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 10:37:05 AM »

I don't think there was any deleted scene,I've read quite alot about the film and despite many descriptions of deleted scenes elsewhere in the film I've never read about one in the place that you mention.I think the frisbee was just a neat way for Leone to have a time-change.

Pesci
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 10:03:27 AM »

I think that two two street punks want to mug Noodles. The one throws the frisbee, Noodles ducks and the other guy catches the frisbee CUT! we see how someone takes a suitcase out of Noodles' hand.

So, for seconds you might think that the the punks stole the suitcase with all the money from Noodles.
But seconds later you see that we're back in 1933 when Noodles is going out of prison and Max takes his suitcase.

So, I don't think that there is a deleted scene between the cut.

Even Richard Schickel doesn't know what this frisbee stands for. But he thinks, that there IS a deleted scene.

Pesci

"When you've been betrayed by a friend you hit back."
Nephilim
Road Apple

Make your lovin' brother happy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 02:57:42 PM »

The whole point of the scene, and it is the weirdest scene in the whole movie, is that it is an archetypal fear dream. It further emphasises that the whole movie, from Eve getting shot, all the way to "Senator Bailley" throwing himself into the garbage truck is one big opium induced dream, allowing Noodles to imagine that his friends were not dead because of him, but because of Max, and that Max has stolen his life, girl, and money.

In reality, of course, he's about to get shot with a great big grin on his face, even though his three friends are now dead.

It's one of the reasons that I like OUATIA so much. The movie starts and ends in exactly the same place - in Noodles' head.

Nephilim
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 07:04:28 AM »

It's one of the reasons that I like OUATIA so much. The movie starts and ends in exactly the same place - in Noodles' head.

Nephilim, I only read you today. Its very interesting.I always believed  that the whole  story was not a dream or some junky thoughts , so I prefer to say that "The movie starts and ends in exactly the same place -in Sergio 's head " . But   I respect your theory.

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
dumbo
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 05:00:59 AM »

Aaronson, all your posts are very interesting. Keep them up!

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 07:19:39 AM »

Its a good quote and thanks to Drizzt .             .
In fact what we see ? An old man , with cheap suits, carrying a brown old-fashion suitcase, walking in the street .We are in winter and night has fallen.
We know that there is at least one million dollars in the suitcase. We are afraid and sure that the old man is afraid too. He tries to stop a taxi, no way. He walks under a speedway. He is alone and looks around.

Suddenly... A flying saucer attacks him from backside, and a big hand stands up like a shark in "Jaws."

What we conclude: two punks are ready to steal him.

Later Sergio shows us noodles watching TV and Fat Moe saying: " Why don't you go away with money ?

Nothing happened !  And Sergio is a big crook.

One good point for the Dream party.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 07:46:35 PM »

Couldn't let this one pass by.

The Frisbee origin according to Fat Freddy's Cat, from a "Fat Freddy's Cat" Comix. There once was a cat named Frisbee who got ran over flat by a truck, after about a week of drying out a couple of "freaks" come along and peel Frisbee off the pavement and begin to toss him back and forth between them, and voila the Frisbee was invented!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 12:39:53 PM »

Couldn't let this one pass by.

The Frisbee origin according to Fat Freddy's Cat, from a "Fat Freddy's Cat" Comix. There once was a cat named Frisbee who got ran over flat by a truck, after about a week of drying out a couple of "freaks" come along and peel Frisbee off the pavement and begin to toss him back and forth between them, and voila the Frisbee was invented!
Graet !Thank you and thanks to Monthly Charlie, a French Magazine which allowed me to discover Fat Freddy and the two junkies friends of him during the 70's

guy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 07:29:02 AM »

i was wondering what the symbolism was behind the frisbee shot when noodles rediscovers the money with the tag "advance payment for your next job" and he is walking nervously along the underpass trying to catch a cab. is this just one of the numerous scenes which have been edited and the answer lies onthe cutting room floor, is it two muggers. is it just a way for sergio to link the next shot of maxie meetng noodles at prison and grabbing his suitcase. is this maxie taking hold of noodles life for the first time?? i think it is such a shame that this film could not be completed to sergios real wish of a godfather type trilogy. i think this is the most heart wrenching film of friendship and betrayal. i love it!! i would recommend that everyone gets a copy of the hoods by harry grey, the book which the film is based upon. it is different, but i love the book as it is an autobiographical account. having read up and studied jewish gangsters, especially murder inc the asssasin squad of the syndicate, this book is wonderful as it written by someone on the fringes of their activities, he knew them all, altough as in the film he is involved in bootlegging more than murders. nowhere have i been able to find a book expressing these times of growth for america by a jewish gangster, the acounts i have read are all by the person who put a lot of them in the electric chair, mr arsenic, burton turkus, the distruct attorney. anyway if anyone has ay other accounts of jewish gangsters please let me know and i hope that people may find this intresting. guy.

"i like the stink of the streets, it makes me feel good. i like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs - and it gives me a hard on!"
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 12:48:20 PM »

I think one of the possible interpretations of the scene has something to do with the nervously way of walking by De Niro.

I think it represents that time has passed. Noodles is now and old man. He used to be a wise guy, he had no fear at all. Now he's an old man, who is afraid of walking in a tough neighbourhood.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 04:18:26 PM »

Re: Jewish Gangsters

I read a very good history of Dutch Shultz don't remember the name though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 03:55:55 PM »

Guy, I don't remember the name of the book but it did have photographs. I'd almost have to go to a library and find it again.

rusty26
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 03:22:50 AM »

The book about Dutch Schultz is Billy Bathgate by E.L Doctorow.  It has been filmed starring Dustin Hoffman.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 04:36:33 AM »

Billy Bathgate was a novel, the other book was more a history of Dutch Shultz, seams that he got his start during prohibition with illegal breweries if I remember correctly.
If I find it I'll get back to you.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM