Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:48:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  'Doc' (1971)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Doc' (1971)  (Read 13383 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »

This Almeria shot film was Dir. by Frank Perry, and stared Stacey Keach (Doc Holiday), Faye Dunaway (Kate Elder), Harris Yulin (Wyatt Earp), and Michale Whitney (Ike Clanton). I also noticed Dan Van Husen in a minor part but no other regulars from SW's

The copy I saw was a full screen VHS 96 min. but it seemed cut, there were the usual indications of trimming.

The best thing about this film is the atmosphere, its looks as it should for Tombstone circa 1881 (looks like El Paso set from FAFDM), the Alhambra saloon interiors, the outdoor party, the poker game, are done really well. The saloon even has a mariachi band playing the dance music a nice touch. It sort of homages Altman a bit in the political party sequence. Other than those its pretty dull.

Its even got a unique take on the whole Tombstone affair that it was just a turf fight between competing mob bosses Earps & the Clanton's & McLowery's, everybodys a crook, lol.

It all falls apart though because it trys to be a bit too psychological for its own good, and the other problem with charaters based on historical figures is it doesn't even remotely follow the actual history.

Costuming, sets with dirt & dust, all look good. Earp even uses his Buntline special to cold cock rowdies in a few scenes.

Keach and Yullin are believeable in their parts but they fail to achieve any Iconic status, Dunaway isn't believable, she seems a bit too uptight for a whore. Earps brothers & Sheriff Johny Behan are reduced to minimal parts

All in all, gunplay is at a minimal (for a Western a big no-no IMO) and the gunfight at the OK Corral is a bit of a let down. The score which is minimal has the only catchy mariachi music as the highlight.

Another example of how an American production can screw up a Western even when Leone, Corbucci and Solima basically gave them the new road map (where are our familiar SW extras & bit actors, or great score) even one shot in Almeria.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »

I remember seeing this a few years ago and disliking it very much. I remember that the final gunfight was NOTHING like in reality and the movie as a whole was very unbelievable.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:01:46 PM »

Other than those its pretty dull.

That's what I remember too.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 08:26:35 PM »

Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »

This title is available on DVD in R2, although I can't tell if it is presented in OAR. The score is apparently by Jimmy Webb. I may have to order it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001AOHPOY/ref=s9subs_c5_74_img1-rfc_g1_si1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0S3M2E1PATWC76WY47JA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463374953&pf_rd_i=468294

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 04:16:55 PM »

I have it on a VHS tape. It would be nice to get an upgrade wonder what the quality is?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »

No way to know, I guess, without taking the plunge. If I get it, I'll post screen caps.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »

The link has no comments about quality, a lot of time folks that got burned usually let you know.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

Doc (1971) - 7/10. Wow, a true American Spaghetti. Or it woulda been, if they'd followed Leone Rule #1. Instead of gun-play every 10 minutes, we get lots of talky scenes. I guess that's what attracted serious thespians like Stacy Keach and Faye Dunaway to the project in the first place. A shame, though. A good premise--and some wonderful sepia-toned images shot in and around Almeria--are squandered by the time we reach the turgid third act. Why couldn't they have just stuck with the historical account? And if they weren't gonna do that, why didn't they, by way of compensation, at least give us a bit more, you know, action? Well, we're still waiting for someone to give us the definitive Tombstone movie, I hope it arrives in my lifetime.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:32:45 PM »

Doc's agenda was to paint the Earps as psychopaths and thus make itself resonnate with the hippie/radical crowd it was no doubt targeting.

I agree that no true masterpiece has been done about the Earps - granted I haven't seen Hour of the Gun - but I think we have some worthy efforts out there.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

Here's a screen cap from the first scene:

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »

More:

Cold beer? We ain't got no cold beer. We ain't gotta serve no stinkin' cold beer!

10 minutes in and we're already at the desert? Maaaaaaaaaaan!

Double bounty on female prisoners in this territory?

Is it just me, or does it seem that everyone is doing a lot of smoking in here?

Hour of the Gun. And what gun might that be, CJ?

Is it too late to reference My Darling Clementine?

The final walk to the OK. I wonder how it'll turn out this time?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

Very cool I need an Upgrade  Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »

I remember seeing this a few years ago and disliking it very much.

At the very least the film is very good looking.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »

Also, it has an almost complete absence of music. Except for the piece that runs over the closing credits, the only music in the film is that which the characters perform very occasionally within scenes.

The film is also edited like a Spaghetti. I note that earlier CJ aired his suspicion that the film has lost some intended footage, but I don't think that's the case. The inelegant editing is intentional, an attempt to replicate the feel of SWs (which were often cut).

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM