Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:16:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dillinger (1973) (Gangster Flick)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dillinger (1973) (Gangster Flick)  (Read 17536 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »

Is this available online anywhere, preferably as streaming video? YouTube only has about half the film and Netflix has it listed as a "long wait" so no chance I'll get it before school starts.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 05:11:38 AM »

I've watched it three times now and it keeps improving with each viewing and am now considering it a minor classic. Its Ben Johnson's (Lee Van Cleef/Mortimer moment, he's the star that stands out similar to lee in FAFDM) and the Oates-Phillips relationship is way more sexy than Depp-Marion Cotillard relationship as shown in PE. Yea its got some over the top stuff (Billie firing a tommy gun and screaming for Johnny to escape at Little Bohemia), lol, but its a fun film. The more you watch it the more you realize how good it really is. The little vignettes that develop the films characters are great.

Its just the Dillinger Legend partly truth & partly fiction.

Its the way it should have been, not the way it actually was.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:17:47 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »

Is this available online anywhere, preferably as streaming video? YouTube only has about half the film and Netflix has it listed as a "long wait" so no chance I'll get it before school starts.

Well, Amazon has it new and used for the price it would be for a rental.

http://www.amazon.com/Dillinger-Warren-Oates/dp/0792846877

Great movie. I saw it years ago on television and they showed a lot of the violence intact. Buying the DVD when it came out, it was one of the most violent American action films of the 70's, especially for a "mainstream" movie (AIP was a few years off from becoming a major, but when they did it backfired on them). The accomplished action scenes were edited in a fashion as rapid fire as the dozens of machine gun bullets flying all over. The 'villain glorified as hero' motif is strong and a bit uncomfortable with some of the company Dillinger holds company with. But even those guys get spectacular, if undignified send offs. And as CJ said, Ben Johnson is great. The whole cigar smoking over each of their dead bodies was a nice touch. I do also like the way the film somewhat blurs the line between who is the "good guy" and "bad guy". And any movie with 'Red River Valley' featured prominently on its soundtrack can't be all bad. Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »

Some fun sequences and Images from Dillinger 1973

The first is one of my favs, its got this surreal quality from being shot through teller window bars that are out of focus, Oates looks slightly demented which helps.

Hi, I'm John Dillinger.....

Late of your County Jail....

You are going to tell your grandchildren about this. This is one of the great days in your life.... don't make it your last.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:45:20 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

And here is Ben Johnson who is a real hoot as super "G" Man Melvin Purvis:

G Man arrives at abandoned farmhouse that holds Wilbur Underhill the "Tri-State Killer"

He asks for a vest.....

gloves......

automatics......

and seegar, lol.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »

Billie Frechette, we first see her and John Dillinger in a bar, perhaps soon after their initial meeting. He brings her back to the safe house to meet the gang:

He turns her to each member as he says their names.

John finishes Billie's intro's and announces to the gang, "This is Billie Frechette, she's an indian....... don't ever give her a drink."

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »

"I'd like to withdrawal my entire account."

Cool pics CJ.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »

More Billie:

Back at the bar Billie and Dillinger were making smalltalk. Dillinger asks her "do you know who I am", Billie answers "as far as I'm concerned your Douglas Fairbanks". 

After the intros to the gang at the safe house Dillinger brings Billie back to his room, he stops at the dresser mirror and looks at himself and says "Douglas Fairbanks, huh?" and he flings Billie onto the bed.  He calls her a whore and she says don't ever call me that, He says theres nothing wrong with that "whorings the oldest profession," she slaps him and he smacks her back onto the bed.

Before the next job Billie goes back to the reservation to her mothers trailer.  After the job Dillinger goes and gets her:

He comes flying out of the trailer carrying Billie and dragging Billie's wailing mom, in a great little sequence, all that was missing (take it from one who has lived on the res) were about ten yapping dogs, lol.

PS note the cinder blocks holding down the tar paper on the trailer roof.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »

This movie just became available on Netflix! Shocked Hopefully I'll get to see it the whole way through before I go back to school.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »

Billie wrapped in her Indian blanket sleeps on Johns shoulder as he drives off the Res in the back seat is a dying gangster shot through the stomach he asks John not to bury him in an unmarked grave, John tries to bolster him up saying you ain't gonna die. The next scene shows a makeshift cross tied together with a silk tie with a twenty dollar bill as a grave marker.

John gives a poignant eulogy to his buddy with explaining that he's burying him in an un-marked grave so the souvenir hunters don't dig him up. Its a beautiful sequence.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »

Billie and John have a few nice romantic sequences together one in a car near the Mexican Border, the one below takes place to a pulsing red neon glow

Billie asks John to promise her that she "won't have be there when they get him"  John replies that "nobody lives forever but I'd be a damn fool not to try."

Billie straightening the seam on her stockings while John calls Purvis.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:32:46 PM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »

Big Jim Wollard in Tuscon does a bit of detective work he questions the Mexican help of a Tuscon Hotel while John Dillinger and the gang are enjoying a "Fordian" outdoor dance.

"You say their bags were heavy and that they tipped you with a hundred dollar bill?"

"them fellers are outlaws", his deputy asks how he knows this Big Jim Wollard replies, "decent folk don't live that good"

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »

We should have never told you how to do those damn screencaps, CJ! Cheesy

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »

We should have never told you how to do those damn screencaps, CJ!

Yea I'm having fun with them now.

here's the lead up to the  Little Bohemia fiasco:

Purvis and agents driving into position.

Love this little sequence of the FBI on foot approaching the lodge.

What's interesting is that Milius has the FBI positioning at night but chose to do the shootout in the early morning perhaps it was equipment/budget limitations on what actions you could show at night that made that decision for him.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:08:33 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 06:48:38 AM »

What's interesting is that Milius has the FBI positioning at night but chose to do the shootout in the early morning perhaps it was equipment/budget limitations on what actions you could show at night that made that decision for him.
Sure takes care of the unmotivated-light-source problem, don't it?

Great caps, Joe. They really make me want to watch this film again. Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM