Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2018, 03:55:42 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dillinger (1973) (Gangster Flick)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
: Dillinger (1973) (Gangster Flick)  ( 22228 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #45 : August 20, 2009, 05:51:31 AM »

The problem is inherent with the facts, there really is no way to have a typical protagonist/antagonist story using Dillinger as a subject, it was him against the system of law enforcement figures and entities.

Well it doesn't need to be a strictly conventional film, just one that manages to get most everything right. Disregarding the awful Tierney film, Dillinger and Public Enemies get some things right but mess up others in telling the story. Public Enemies needed a stronger narrative drive/cohesion (better script really) and better use of supporting characters. Dillinger needed a stronger portrayal of Dillinger and a better love story (and higher production values). If the two approaches were blended by a great director (which I'm not convinced Mann or Milius are), a great film could definitely be made of the material.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #46 : August 20, 2009, 05:53:15 AM »

So if the film had been called something else--say, "Public Enemies"--you would have enjoyed it more?

It's a (failed?) attempt to be clever.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #47 : August 20, 2009, 02:16:29 PM »

I always liked DILLINGER. Next to BIG WEDNESDAY one of my Milius favorites.
The film has the AIP smell all over yet he really achieved something, just being
28 years old and on a shoestring budget.
It has a raw wild quality I miss so much in so many films (pretending to have
a 'wild subject'). Nothing clean here. Hommages to his heroes (there a lot
of Ford, in WEDNESDAY a lot of Peckinpah).
Got to see it in a theatre with Milius in 1995 which was very nice.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #48 : August 23, 2009, 06:59:41 PM »

Not to steal CJ's thunder but the Internet Firearms Database has a lot of cool screencaps. Here are some good ones:

"I'd like to withdraw my entire account!"

Steve Kanaly as Pretty Boy Floyd

You don't look big enough to be a center!

Dillinger has a close shave

Nelson makes a getaway

Agent Cowley ready for action

Billie covers the gang's retreat

The death of Baby Face Nelson

Gunning for Pretty Boy Floyd

"JOHNNY!"

Homer Van Meter about to eat it. "Things ain't workin' out for me today."

Harry Pierpont has an inconvenient jam

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #49 : August 23, 2009, 07:24:07 PM »

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Dillinger_(1973)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #50 : August 24, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »

Thank Grogs for initially mentioning it.  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #51 : August 24, 2009, 05:57:38 AM »

No sweat. It's a really cool and useful website for those of us who care about such things. O0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #52 : August 25, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

I was thinking of starting a thread on guns in Leone's films but this site is better than anything I could come up with.

Not much on Colossus of Rhodes or Duck You Sucker but great screen caps and gun info from Leone's other movies:

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

Once Upon A Time In America
Great find! O0 O0 O0 The SL Encyclopedia needs those links as well, so I am duly appropriating them.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #53 : December 01, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »

Great find! O0 O0 O0 The SL Encyclopedia needs those links as well, so I am duly appropriating them.

Great website! However, these links don't work for me, they lead to other articles...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #54 : December 01, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »

I saw this version of Dillinger a couple monthes ago and posted something on the Rate The Last Movie You Saw thread but I couldn't find it. Anyway, here is what i thought:

Good movie, much better than PE IMO. First of all, there is a real purvis/dillinger opposition, something that you only feel 2 times in PE (1-the face to face when Dillinger is in jail 2-when dillinger is in purvis' office), where it was supposed to be THE point of the movie. Here, the whole movie is based on that concept, without having to underline the opposition in the title. This is achieved mostly by the voice over and the iconisation of the two characters (especially melvin purvis), and it ties up the whole movie (which, basically, follow the same (lack of) plot than PE).
The cinematography is pretty good, although we could point out a certain lack of visual inventivity: nice orange colours (not the cheap over contrasted and destarurated sepia we do today) and very violent and brutal action scenes that still work ok today. While the movie never reaches the technical level of The Wild Bunch, the influence of Peckinpah is easy to spot, and the peckinpah-esque cast makes it even more obvious.
Speaking of the cast, there are numerous big names in it, and they all do a good job, but only Oates is at his best. It's very nice to see all these guys in a single movie though, and it sure adds a lot to the charm the movie has nowadays. The feminin cast is ok too and the scenes between gangsters and their girlfriends are better writen than the (pointless) ones in PE: you actually FEEL there is something between them.
Last (and may be least), the score has nothing special but is fine to me. I just had to add a line about it in order not to be murdered by some old guy.

All in all, I'd rate it something like 7/10. Could easily have been 8 or 8.5 with a Coppola or Peckinpah behind the camera and more involved actors.

« : December 01, 2009, 07:48:46 AM noodles_leone »

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #55 : December 01, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »

Not a bad commentary although I disagree with you on two points.

1. I think Oates is a good Dillinger but the script short-changes him with a cliched one-dimensional gangster role. The supporting cast really outshines him IMO, particularly Kanaly and Stanton and Johnson.

2. I found the romance plot disgustingly misogynistic here, as I've said a few times before. Plus Michelle Phillips cannot act to same her life.

I think I like it slightly better than Public Enemies on the whole, but neither is a great film IMO. If a film could be made that blends what each got right together, we would potentially have a masterpiece.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #56 : December 01, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »

If a film could be made that blends what each got right together, we would potentially have a masterpiece.

We agree on this! Although both movies have a different approach: PE goes for "realism" or at least "realistic looking", and Dillinger tried a "myth" approach (in a Peckinpah way rather than a classic way: brutal, violent, dark and with a lot of iconisation).

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #57 : December 01, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »

That's fair enough, though Dillinger seems more cartoonish than mythic to me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #58 : February 27, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »

New special edition Blu-ray coming soon!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•Brand new 2K restoration of the film from original film materials
•High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentations of the film
•Original mono soundtrack (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Audio commentary by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema and Screening Violence
•Newly-filmed interview with producer Lawrence Gordon
•Newly-filmed interview with director of photography Jules Brenner
•Newly-filmed interview with composer Barry De Vorzon
•Stills gallery
•Theatrical trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sean Phillips
•Collector s booklet containing new writing by Kim Newman on fictional portrayals of John Dillinger, plus an on-set report containing interviews with writer-director John Milius and others, illustrated with original production stills

« : February 27, 2016, 10:18:50 AM dave jenkins »

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #59 : April 19, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »

Savant reviews the Blu-Ray:

http://trailersfromhell.com/dillinger/#.VxaOO4-cGP9

It's a shame they couldn't get Milius for the commentary, but I suppose his stroke makes that impractical.

: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines