Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dillinger (1973) (Gangster Flick)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
: Dillinger (1973) (Gangster Flick)  ( 23618 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #75 : April 29, 2016, 05:13:18 AM »

This is over at IMDb:
This picture's cinematographer Jules Brenner has said of this film on his blog about his work on the VariaGallery website: "This was a great film to work on for a lot of reasons, starting with the experience of working for John Milius. He has always been a brilliant and naturally gifted writer, and this was his first effort as director. John deals in images that he visualizes in his mind's eye and I was, as his cinematographer, his instrument to realize them. From the get go, John expressed his vision of the film as the conveyance of the myth of John Dillinger. As is typical of a Milius hero, Dillinger was a larger than life individual who lived his life according to his own instinctive drive and carved out a full chapter in the annals of legend. The visual elements, the colors, compositions and photographic concept of the film was to further the idea of doing a "romance" of a historical figure. I don't believe I've ever worked for any director, before or since, with whom I felt a greater collaborative kinship than I did with John. The photographic paths I was taking at his inspiration were closely allied with my own visual aesthetics. One "effect" or style of photography that I employed was to control, through filtration and lab manipulation, the Kelvin responses of the film medium. My objective was to exploit a range of colors that were at once realistic and surrealistic. It created a picture that wasn't exactly what the mind and brain might render but, rather a "stretched out" palette of color. Not realistic, but I think it acted subliminally to further the romance concept. Some writers have criticized the film for its lack of faithfulness with the known facts, as though the film were intended as a documentary and it somehow fell short. Some call it "over-romanticized", failing to perceive the intentions and the style while so many of its viewers "got it" and went with it. While John had all the facts, known and surmised, his take on the story was, perhaps, to suggest why an audacious bank robber could capture the imagination of the public while his hand was in their pockets. It's no error of history that a myth built up around Dillinger, who was killed at the mere age of 31 years".
There is an interesting interview with Brenner on the Arrow disc where he says Millius spent his time working with the actors and pretty much left the cinematography up to him. That being the case, Brenner has to get a lot of credit for the look of the film, which is truly remarkable. Reportedly, the film cost a little more than a million to make but it looks like the studio (AIP) spent more like (in 1973 dollars) 10 million on it. The Oklahoma locations were very, very well used.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #76 : April 29, 2016, 05:22:29 AM »

The Wind and the Lion got epic battle scenes and location shooting out of a $2,000,000-ish budget. Milius was really great at working within restrictive budgets.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #77 : April 29, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »

I'm just preparing my audio-commentary for the German blu-ray, haven't seen the film in 20 years. Strange, my only two audio-commentaries in three years are Oates' two leading roles in 1973.
Your very next assignment should be Cockfighter (1974).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #78 : April 29, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »

A great mystery about this movie is bound to be why Michelle Phillips got a Golden Globe for it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #79 : April 30, 2016, 05:27:09 AM »

For what, Best Shriek?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #80 : April 30, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »

Your very next assignment should be Cockfighter (1974).

I've always been curious to watch this, although somewhat concerned that I will find the actual footage of cockfighting a little disturbing given that it is generally illegal.

There is a Blu-ray release in Japan although I don't know what the quality is like.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #81 : May 05, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dillinger-Blu-ray/147497/#Screenshots

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #82 : May 05, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »

This is over at IMDb:There is an interesting interview with Brenner on the Arrow disc where he says Millius spent his time working with the actors and pretty much left the cinematography up to him.

Somewhere in this Warren Oates biography, theres a passing mention from someone (can't remember the name) where they mention that Milius didn't have any directing when it came to acting. I'll try and find the page and quote.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #83 : May 05, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »

I've always been curious to watch this, although somewhat concerned that I will find the actual footage of cockfighting a little disturbing given that it is generally illegal.

There is a Blu-ray release in Japan although I don't know what the quality is like.

I saw it only once but liked it very very much. Next to TWO-LANE maybe my favorite Hellman film.
Wonderful soundtrack.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #84 : May 05, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »

I saw it only once but liked it very very much. Next to TWO-LANE maybe my favorite Hellman film.
Wonderful soundtrack.
Wow, that's quite a recommendation. Maybe I'll pick up the blu on my next trip to Tokyo in June.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #85 : January 17, 2017, 12:23:45 AM »

Just saw this movie for the first time (on TCM) and IMO it is trash. I am sorry for all you Warren Oates fanboys. I am an Oates fan, too; but a big mistake was made here in how they made the Dillinger character - though I can't know for sure if Milius or Oates is to blame for this: Dillinger is a truly repugnant character and not enjoyable to watch or likeable. You can have a main character whio is a crook, but you cannot have a main character who is not even a gentlemanly crook, or not great fun to watch, or annoying as hell, thoroughly rude to everyone he meets.

Many many great movies have been made with main characters who are bad people in real life, but it's a movie, so we don't care – the movie gives us some reason to like him. It could be like Jesse James are frank James, who the movie made as a sort of Robin Hood character getting back at the evil railroad barons. It could be the tragic hero in, or the guy who just couldn't catch a break or living in the wrong times, like Cagney or Bogart in Angels With Dirty Faces or High Sierra.  It could even be a thought really bad kid it with no read deeming value at all, like Cagney in the public enemy, but we love him anyway because he so much damn fun to watch. It can be THE GODFATHER, who, despite certainly being an immoral character,  does have his own code of honor, his own sense of honor in his own twisted world. Or The Man With No Name, who is do damn cool.
 But in this movie, the Dillinger character is rude, really bad, as gruff and crude with women as with men, has no redeeming value (faling in love halfway theough the movie, by which time I already despise him, is too little too late), is so goddamned annoying with everyone as well as the viewer .... right then and there, the movie becomes a bad movie. Amd the rest of the cast is mostly terrible, too.

Yeah, the  cinematography is nice, as are the 1930s locations, production design, costumes, cars, guns etc etc. That's what the movie has going for it. So does the far better Bonnie & Clyde and numerous other gangster movies set in that period.

Also, the  narration with Ben Johnson is ridiculous, just reduces the tension.

The shtick  Johnson does with a cigar would be cool if He would pull out the cigar AFTER he killed the people, BUT pulling it out beforehand- every time -  is just one of several examples where Milius is clueless. It is like Milius can't WAIT til the end of the scene to show the shtick -- he tells the punchline before telling the joke, thereby ruining both.

One more example: when Dillinger busts out of the Indiana prison,  I could not believe that Milius is actually shows us Dillinger making the fake gun with the wood and the shoe polish and then pointing it at the guards. that is so stupid!. It would've been much better if Dillinger had suddenly  just pointed the gun at the guards - and  we wonder, just as the guards do, how he got the gun  - escape and only after he escaped do we realize that it was fake. UGH just a bad film all the way around

5/10

« : January 17, 2017, 08:20:11 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #86 : January 17, 2017, 01:59:49 AM »

You can have a main character whio is a crook, but you cannot have a main character who is not even a gentlemanly crook, or not great fun to watch, or annoying as hell, thoroughly ride to everyone he meets.

:o

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #87 : January 17, 2017, 03:46:05 AM »

::)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #88 : January 17, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »

thoroughly rude*
  ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #89 : January 17, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »

But in this movie, the Dillinger character is rude, really bad, as gruff and crude with women as with men, has no redeeming value (faling in love halfway theough the movie, by which time I already despise him, is too little too late), is so goddamned annoying with everyone as well as the viewer ....
No, not the viewer, YOU, Drink. There are plenty of people who enjoy Oates for who he is and what he does on screen--even here. I will always take Oates in whatever role over the Yankee Doodle Faggot. He's even more interesting than Bogart (well, sometimes). Oates is da Man! Drink is da Bed Pan!

: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines