Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 06:57:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  my first meeting with a leone film
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my first meeting with a leone film  (Read 10072 times)
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2003, 08:19:01 AM »

Radiohead
Ennio Morricone
Bob Dylan
Gary Moore
Jack Bruce (Cream)
Richard Ashcroft
Free
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
The Stone Roses (First Album)
The Beatles

« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 08:19:38 AM by Hippieoddball1 » Logged

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2003, 08:58:46 PM »

Kermit, was reading a little story in the Times the other day, what do you know of Ernie K-Doe? Fill us in if you do thanks.
CJ

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2003, 01:05:53 PM »

Kermit, was reading a little story in the Times the other day, what do you know of Ernie K-Doe? Fill us in if you do thanks.
CJ
make no mistake about it CJ let the record show no mother-in-law in america ever expressed their appreation for earnest kador AKA  earnie k-doe who found the song mother-in-law in allen toussaint's trash in '61. earnie/lee dorcey /and guitar slim all related together w/ my boss wolfman washington.
11bruders & sisters. father babtist minister. started working clubs @ 15 while singing in his fathers chruch choir. earnie & wolfman grew up together over dew drop inn where they learned how to perform from b.b. dr. john, nevilles. this is a steeped as it gets. very tight nit situation. sorta like the realationship between blonde, tuco & his "old friend " angle eyes.  you can't describe it but it's there. thick as a brick.

2/22/36  7/5/01  he ain't gone nowhere as mother-in-laws are still with us.  Angry  hopefuly earnie is @ peace.
"sent from down below,
mother-in-law"

« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 01:44:41 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2003, 07:53:24 PM »

Thanks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 04:20:54 PM »

Kemit and CJ, I can see there's a blues country thing going on here, but I'm not familiar with any of these artists (being a 32 year old Mancunian), but they sure sound interesting. I love Willie Dixon, and dont mind Hooker and the likes, but I'm by no means an afficianado. Woody Guthrie is the greatest, but  my folk/ country gets about as far as CCR, Byrds and lately Gillian Welch. I once had an album with Mudhoney and Jimmie Dale Gilmore that was fantastic but I couldnt find any more of his stuff.

KERMIT
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 11:57:04 AM »

Kemit and CJ, I can see there's a blues country thing going on here, but I'm not familiar with any of these artists (being a 32 year old Mancunian), but they sure sound interesting. I love Willie Dixon, and dont mind Hooker and the likes, but I'm by no means an afficianado. Woody Guthrie is the greatest, but  my folk/ country gets about as far as CCR, Byrds and lately Gillian Welch. I once had an album with Mudhoney and Jimmie Dale Gilmore that was fantastic but I couldnt find any more of his stuff.
AE,
 try checking into TOWNES VAN ZANT. was extremely gifted indian songwriter. check out the LINKS @ WWW.DOWNHOME.COM

while @ the grey eagle up in the mountians i met ramblin jack elliot who @ 66, just got bucked off his horse and is still kicking ass and taking names.  he gave me his latest album "south coast" w/ songs" the buffalo skiners ( on the trail of the buffalo)"," ludlow massacre". i gave this tape to down home and he was booked. later, i was standing @ the bar turned around and there he was a day early. said he'd heard about the down home atmosphere.  everyone had a large time.
 he took 37 mins. just to explain a song about touring w/ a sick partner in the winter out in montana olny to forget what the hell the name of the song was and started a new one. LOL.  dylan got that whiney vocal syle from jack. woodie said he sounds more like me than me. jack droped in on guthrie to spend the night on the couch and stayed for 2 years.
ramblin jack had a huge impact on today's "legends".

" one of the great things about listening to elliot over the years is to hear how over time he closes in on a song until he owns it, makes it his own so completely that anyone else performs it at their own peril"
buck ramsey, cowboy poet & singer.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 11:21:39 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2003, 12:50:07 PM »

AE,
 try checking into TOWNES VAN ZANT. was extremely gifted indian songwriter. check out the LINKS @ WWW.DOWNHOME.COM

while @ the grey eagle up in the mountians i met ramblin jack elliot who @ 66, just got bucked off his horse and is still kicking ass and taking names.  he gave me his latest album "south coast" w/ songs" the buffalo skiners ( on the trail of the buffalo)"," ludlow massacre". i gave this tape to down home and he was booked. later, i was standing @ the bar turned around and there he was a day early. said he'd heard about the down home atmosphere.  everyone had a large time.
 he took 37 mins. just to explain a song about touring w/ a sick partner in the winter out in montana olny to forget what the hell the name of the song was and started a new one. LOL.  dylan got that whiney vocal syle from jack. woodie said he sounds more like me than me. jack droped in on guthrie to spend the night on the couch and stayed for 2 years.
ramblin jack had a huge impact on today's "legends".

" one of the great things about listening to elliot over the years is to hear how over time he closes in on a song until he owns it, makes it his own so completely that anyone else performs it at their own peril"
buck ramsey, cowboy poet & singer.

Thanks Kermit
I'm gonna get the new Townes LP on your recommendation. Jack Elliot sounds interesting too. Good site and they had a JDG link.
So what's Downhome, is that your local?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 12:58:03 PM by Angel Eyes » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2003, 01:03:28 PM »

yep. i perform there every time the'll let haul my piano on stage. my best friend built it back in '76.  a great listening room. no funny business. everyone there for one reason . support live music.
great place to play poker, sip brews, and listen to ralph stanley or doc watson. very eclectic room opposed to loud music although they alow it to up to a point.
then they have blues show packages  feturing all local bands. very well run club. i love it. towns was a regular.
he had a certian way of writting a song that sent shivers. sorry towns no longer w/ us.

ther's no place like it AE. it never fails. i always run into someone i've haven't seen in 10-20 years there. LOL.
kermit   Grin

« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 01:06:24 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2003, 01:21:57 PM »

sounds like the kind of place us English only ever see in films (and The Dukes of Hazzard)
If I ever make it to the US of A ,I'll make a pilgrimage there.

KERMIT
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2003, 03:22:49 PM »

sounds like the kind of place us English only ever see in films (and The Dukes of Hazzard)
If I ever make it to the US of A ,I'll make a pilgrimage there.

back in '76 i lived up in hull or 'ull.  your pups the greatest !! my niece  lives in london. on a vist here i took her husband into down home when it was closed for remodeling as they do each year. he was facinated.   i kept thinking too bad mick isn't here to hear the music ! still we had a great game of poker going before long w/ the house system belching out "the town of el paso" by marty robbins along with gillian
welch, and hell of a lot of diesel-billy/ twang type stuff.
the real deal well worth a visit AE.   you'd love it.  Grin

« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 03:25:03 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2003, 11:45:28 PM »

As I've indicated in another thread on OUTW being cut in its US 1st release, I saw OUTW in 1969 with my best friend.  Blown away, and even with several key points cut out.

Then one of the downtown Dallas theatres (3 of them in a row which all dated to Vaudville) showed an quadruple feature Eastwood package:  The 2 dollar films, GBU and Hang 'em High.  We sat through them all in one glourious afternoon.  It was fantastic, but probably it was difficult to fully appreciate 8+ hours of Eastwood.  I do recall how much Hang 'em High sucked in comparison to the master's films.  

In 1971 I bought the Italian soundtrack to OUTW at a student book store in Austin.  That thoroughly hooked me on the music.

We used to talk half heartedly about going to Spain and begging to get an extra job in a Leone film.  In preparation I would squint at myself in the mirror, but I knew my face lacked the "realism" necessary to make the cut.

KERMIT
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2003, 12:38:03 AM »

CJ
www.wwoz.org/kdoe/

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2003, 12:14:59 PM »

Im not sure which came first out of two incidents.

A: audio tape of the 'For A Few Dollars More' soundtrack with the skits of movie dialogue inserted between tracks. Lent to me while at University by a buddy.

B: Switching over TV channels one night and just catching the Harmonica Flashback & Violent Result from the end of 'Once Upon A Time In The West'....
j u s t   t h a t   s c e n e.   Shocked

I was a fan.....
And at the point, i hadn't even seen one of his films  Grin

« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 12:20:10 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Shatterstar
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 10:09:01 AM »

I first saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on television in the late 90s when I was still a little kid. I did not understand the plot much at the time, but that was the first Leone film I saw.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:29:19 PM by Shatterstar » Logged

A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information.
DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama! No, you're a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2003, 04:47:32 PM »

Around 1994 or 1995 and I into the whole Tarantino film geek thing and Tarantino would speak foundly of RIo Bravo so one day I caught a film that I thought might be in (I had no idea what it was or who starred in it). It was GBU and ever since then I"ve been a fan.

Oddly, the first time I saw OUATITW it was in pan-n-scan and I hated it. Having loved all of Leone's film I gave it a second try and enjoyed it a little more. Than someone gave me a copy of it from the laserdisc and it instantly became my favorite film.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM