Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 02:06:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  J. and S. - storia criminale del far west (Sonny and Jed) (1972)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: J. and S. - storia criminale del far west (Sonny and Jed) (1972)  (Read 7414 times)
Guerrilla
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »

Sonny And Jed

Sonny And Jed

J & S - Storia Criminale Del Far West

(1972)

This looks amaizing late Thomas Milian western

Sorry..we can't support requests for illegal downloads on this site..we just can't. Perhaps someone can suggest a place to get it. b_a

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:51:38 AM by Banjo » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 02:03:28 AM »

Not all that amazing... but entertaining? yes.

Review for

"Sonny and Jed"

Corbucci's lesser spag westerns are no where near as good as his classics (Django, Hellbenders, Companeros, Great Silence, Mercenary) but they are always well made and entertaining films.
"Sonny and Jed" is no exception.

Corbucci must have been inspired by the film "Bonnie and Clyde" when making/writing "Sonny and Jed". The names of the two protagonists are similar and even the plot line loosely follows the 1967 classic crime/romance film. Crminal meets girl, girl falls for criminal, girl marries criminal, girl follows criminal into a life of crime (you know, that old chestnut).

As Jed (played with frenetic delight by Tomas Milain) and Sonny ravage the countryside robbing banks and plundering stagecoaches they are pursued by sadistic sheriff Franciscus (Telly Savalas) and his posse of unsavory "lawmen".

Unlike Corbucci's other westerns, action sequences kinda take a back seat this time. Riding shotgun is mostly comedy (of the vulgar kind). However there is something more interesting thrown into the mix...the focus of a dysfunctional relationship between the two love birds of crime. It does'nt dwelve deep into it (it is'nt a Godard film   ) but there is certainly something there to see that makes for an interesting watch.
In fact some of the best scenes focus on their Love/Hate relationship. There is even a few sweet moments between the two (of one particular note: Sonny admiting to Jed she loves him).

The brutal violence (rape, sadism etc. etc.) that accompanies all of Corbucci's westerns is indeed to be found here but in small doses. Corbucci's new "toy" is vulgarity. The F-bomb (along with it's close cousin mister "S-word") is dropped at least 20 times during the proceedings. In fact most all the nasty words under the sun are to be found in "Sonny and Jed" (mrs. "C- word" and her significant other "big D" were not invited to the party).
Not that it enhances the film at all but just a side note for you vulgarians out there.

Actors:
Tomas Milain as Jed is wonderful. He has all those rodent like qualities that we come to love in Milians comedic roles. It is hard to imagine the film without him. He handles the relationship aspect of the movie very well. Though Jed is usually nasty towards his wife he is very dependent on her.

Some may find Susan George annoying as the whiny tom-boy Sonny, however I found her to be very cute (not just physically but also the way she carries herself). She very much plays a naive little girl in this film even though at this time she must have been in her 20's (she just came off Peckinpah's "Straw Dogs"). It is obvious her character is only infatuated with Jed, infatuated with his ideals towards life etc. etc. she worships him...she does'nt love him. But she believes she does. Which makes her so cute to watch.
A shame she does'nt shed any of her clothes in this film ( her trademark)...I guess they wanted to present her as a underdeveloped girl (which Milian's character always makes reference to). She always has a big fat overcoat to cover her breasts.

Telly Savalas does a decent job in his role as the nasty sheriff Franciscus. He comes off as a threatening figure which our heroes should stay away from at all times. However there comes a time in the film where Franciscus becomes blind from a run in with Jed...after that he is not really that threatening of a character.
I think this character would have benefited greatly with Jack Palance in the role since he did a stupendous job with his other two villian roles in other Corbucci films. Ah well.

The music: Finally! a non-stellar morricone soundtrack.
The main theme is faintly memorable after intial viewing but the rest of the soundtrack is forgettable.

Overall good stuff. Perhaps Corbucci's weakest western not counting his first two ("Minnesota Clay" and "Johnny oro") which cannot really be called "spaghetti westerns" due to their american influences.
But then again...I have'nt seen "The white, the yellow and the black" which I hear is astrocious.
But Honestly...I would recommend this very entertaining film to anybody.

TRIVIA!

Corbucci had Rodney Dangerfield in mind for the role of Jed before Milain showed interest in the project.

Here is the trailer for the film...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCa5vBuEAVw

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 05:44:46 AM »

Doesn't look too bad from its trailer  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Guerrilla
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »

Sorry..we can't support requests for illegal downloads on this site

I know this,of corse this is a oficial site,and im sorry to admin.
Sad but im not live in USA and sometimes for the real fans internet is the only way to find some rare films.
I have a original dvd's of Leone  ( from USA) also GBU special edition...but,,,tell me how to bye this kind of film ??  Smiley  Its hard eaven to find it. Smiley

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »

it's not easy finding spaghettis online anyway. I've only come across django and django kill! so far.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:25:12 PM »

Check these out:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.vidjunkie.com/spag.htm

http://www.lfvw.com/news.htm

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »

Susan George has agreed to be interviewed for my book.

Anybody have any questions for her about S @ J?

And if anybody else has questions on the below films please let me know here...

LOLA (aka Twinkey)
STRAW DOGS
DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY
MANDINGO
FRIGHT

And just about anything else where she has a meaty role in.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:45 AM »

I've never seen J & S otther than bits on youtube

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »

And if anybody else has questions on the below films please let me know here...

LOLA (aka Twinkey)
STRAW DOGS
DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY
MANDINGO
FRIGHT

And just about anything else where she has a meaty role in.

There's also--

DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE (1971)
TINTORERA (1977; she gets naked and even has threesomes with Hugo Stiglitz and I forget the other guy. Awful movie)
ENTER THE NINJA (1980; awful, awful, awful movie starring Franco Nero, Christopher George and Sho Kosugi)
VENOM (1981; with Kinski and Ollie Reed)
THE HOUSE WHERE EVIL DWELLS (1982; she gets naked with both Edward Albert and Doug McClure)

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:22 PM »

There's also--

DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE (1971)
TINTORERA (1977; she gets naked and even has threesomes with Hugo Stiglitz and I forget the other guy. Awful movie)
ENTER THE NINJA (1980; awful, awful, awful movie starring Franco Nero, Christopher George and Sho Kosugi)
VENOM (1981; with Kinski and Ollie Reed)
THE HOUSE WHERE EVIL DWELLS (1982; she gets naked with both Edward Albert and Doug McClure)

Just drop any questions here AC...

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8089.0

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »

Just finished watching Sonny and Jed. Not sure what Corbucci had in mind by making a "Bonnie and Clyde" style SW with a Tomás Milian whose image clearly resembles "El Vasco" from "Compañeros". Even the machine gun is similar (if not the same) to one of the ones used in Compañeros, and it seems quite out of place in the small peasant's village.

The musical score is also mediocre (sorry, Maestro Ennio Morricone, but that's a fact), but the cinematography is actually quite good.

The movie falls short from what I expected, but it is nevertheless quite watchable and even had some enjoyable scenes. The chemistry between Milian and Susan George is pretty good most ofthe time, but every now and then there comes a scene that screws-up this notion.  Undecided

Eduardo Fajardo also acts in the movie, but his appearance is little more than a cameo.

Now that I have seen Sonny and Jed, and after having watched "The white, the yellow and the black", one of these days I will find enough strength to watch "What am I doing in the middle of the revolution?".  Shocked

6/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

As much as I'd like to say this Corbucci flick offers all those things SW fans fall for, it is somewhat of a disappointment. The filthy sets are there all right, and Corbucci's direction is nothing memorable yet watchable (some of the action scenes sucked big time, though), but Jed is silly, Sonny is annoying as hell, Sheriff Franciscus (the main/only villain) at some point mysteriously kicked straight in the backstage, and the rest of the movie - without a real story to grip to - filled with (often vulgar) nonsense. I don't know, it certainly isn't amazing, but perhaps - depending on the day - we could call it entertaining.

(somewhere just below a) 6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »

The redhead bietch is, without any doubt, entertaining.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »

....one of these days I will find enough strength to watch "What am I doing in the middle of the revolution?".  Shocked

... which is a really good film and a fitting third installment to Corbucci's revolution trilogy.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »

Yup.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2745.15

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM