Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:47:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mutiny on a Bounty(Brando)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mutiny on a Bounty(Brando)  (Read 7438 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »

Any of you schmucks see this? It was filmed in 2:75 aspect ratio, three hours, was the first film where Brando started being Marlon Brando off camera. Haven't seen it, but dammit I want to.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDreviews26/mutiny_on_the_bounty.htm

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:25:59 PM »

was the first film where Brando started being Marlon Brando off camera.

hmm?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:16:53 PM »

Love the nose rubbing scene!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:06:10 AM »

Yes it was memorable film for a teenager, I remember acres of bare Tahitian breasts, Shocked, I also got to visit the replica of the HMS Bounty when it visited NYC for the films promotion. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
WEKurtz
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »

Yeh, Brando & Howard are both superb, but don't forget to watch "The Bounty" for an interesting comparison. It's the same story narrated in a more recent movie, and it's also extraordinary. It was directed by Roger Donaldson in 1984). The equivalent main roles are in charge of two other giants: Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins. The movie also offers good tahitian breasts :-) The music was composed and performed by Vangelis and the photography is marvelous!

Wekurtz--

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »

The best version remains, of course, Frank Lloyd's 1935 epic, with a swaggering turn by Charles Laughton as Bligh. The Brando version is disasterous, as far as I'm concerened, with an absurd performance from Marlon, and the rest of the cast visibly giving up as the thing drags on and on. And on. Yeah, there's lots of tits on display in it, sadly the biggest one being it's star. As for the Gibson version, you'd have to pay me large sums of cash to go any where near it.

RED RIVER was also a re-make of sorts.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 03:59:27 AM »

As for the Gibson version, you'd have to pay me large sums of cash to go any where near it.

Well, it does have the virtue of making Bligh a bit more sympathetic. I'm glad we've got several versions of the story on film so we can get different takes on those historical events. It's a shame that more remakes of such things aren't done, in fact. I would certainly welcome new versions of Lawrence or Zulu, especially if they weren't filled with the same old lies (some new lies are in order). I know how I'd do *my* remake of Zulu, BTW: The survivors, back home for a bond tour, take time to reconsider the events at Rorke's Drift that made them heroes....

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 04:19:01 AM »

Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »

The best version remains, of course, Frank Lloyd's 1935 epic, with a swaggering turn by Charles Laughton as Bligh. The Brando version is disasterous, as far as I'm concerened, with an absurd performance from Marlon, and the rest of the cast visibly giving up as the thing drags on and on. And on. Yeah, there's lots of tits on display in it, sadly the biggest one being it's star. As for the Gibson version, you'd have to pay me large sums of cash to go any where near it.

RED RIVER was also a re-make of sorts.

I personally think the Mel Gibson version is the best and yes I have seen them all.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »

I've never understood the appeal of the 1935 Gable/Laughton version, but I'm a big fan of the Brando and Gibson version.  I bought the 1962 version, the special edition DVD, and it looks beautiful.  And another positive of how DVD and special features can really improve a movie, the DVD features the opening scenes and closing scenes that framed the movie but were cut out of a theatrical release.  It's little things like that, filmed deleted scenes from over 40 years ago, that make movies great. Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

I've never understood the appeal of the 1935 Gable/Laughton version, but I'm a big fan of the Brando and Gibson version.  I bought the 1962 version, the special edition DVD, and it looks beautiful.  And another positive of how DVD and special features can really improve a movie, the DVD features the opening scenes and closing scenes that framed the movie but were cut out of a theatrical release.  It's little things like that, filmed deleted scenes from over 40 years ago, that make movies great. Smiley

I'm with you Ben Tyreen. I actually think the original Gable/Laughton version is the worst of them all. I absolutely love the Brando and Gibson versions with the Gibson version being my favorite. I think it's the most historically accurate telling of the story and I absolutely love Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins together here. We also get to see a young Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:38:36 AM »

I think it's the most historically accurate telling of the story and I absolutely love Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins together here. We also get to see a young Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson.

That's a big part why I like these two movies, the supporting cast.  In MotB (1962), there's my guy Richard Harris, Hugh Griffith, Gordon Jackson, Percy Herbert, Frank Silvera, and like cj said, all those topless Tahitian women. Evil  Good movie all around, the definition of a big 60s epic.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »

That's a big part why I like these two movies, the supporting cast.  In MotB (1962), there's my guy Richard Harris, Hugh Griffith, Gordon Jackson, Percy Herbert, Frank Silvera, and like cj said, all those topless Tahitian women. Evil  Good movie all around, the definition of a big 60s epic.

Richard Harris is supurb here. I absolutely love this mans work. He was always exceptional.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:34 AM »

On the occasion of the new Blu-ray, there is this (full of useful info): http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7691

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:35:47 AM »

I count myself a fan of the '35 Mutiny and the '84 Bounty, but I haven't seen this one yet. With all this praise I may have to check it out. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM