Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:17:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django shoots first (Django spara per primo)(1966)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django shoots first (Django spara per primo)(1966)  (Read 4668 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061582/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/spara-per-primo.htm

I agree with the comments at IMDB (the ones at the italian site, though not enthusiastic, are more positive). expecially the one from the Malta contributor. The movie is too long and the lead should have been, if not Terence Hill, at least Gemma. Saxson is definitely wooden. Still it is shot with competence and at least the introductory scene is (or borders on the) memorable. The music is not bad, the problem is that Nicolai uses fundamentally just a deguello and a bolero.
Notable the presence as the villain of the actor who was the italian voice for Volonté in the 2 Leone's. (Gazzolo was a beautiful voice, but never was much as an actor. His was probably the worst Sherlock Holmes incarnation in the history of the character in a '60s tv series which, if I remember well, was never aired again after the first showing). Also notable, for italian viewers, the presence of an even more beautiful voice, that of Alberto Lupo.
You have here a boy fit (programmatically) to strangle.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:12:12 AM »

Sat down to watch this last night only to find out that my bootleg dvd is incorrectly labelled.   Sad  I have in fact got Don't Wait,Django...Shoot!(Non Aspettare,Django...Spara!) so it looks like i'm gonna have to get Django Shoots First from elsewhere Wink

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061582/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/spara-per-primo.htm

I agree with the comments at IMDB (the ones at the italian site, though not enthusiastic, are more positive). expecially the one from the Malta contributor. The movie is too long and the lead should have been, if not Terence Hill, at least Gemma. Saxson is definitely wooden. Still it is shot with competence and at least the introductory scene is (or borders on the) memorable. The music is not bad, the problem is that Nicolai uses fundamentally just a deguello and a bolero.
Notable the presence as the villain of the actor who was the italian voice for Volonté in the 2 Leone's. (Gazzolo was a beautiful voice, but never was much as an actor. His was probably the worst Sherlock Holmes incarnation in the history of the character in a '60s tv series which, if I remember well, was never aired again after the first showing). Also notable, for italian viewers, the presence of an even more beautiful voice, that of Alberto Lupo.
You have here a boy fit (programmatically) to strangle.

I finally got the correct dvd (£3.97 from UK Amazon) and its definately an above average Django rip-off.Saxon was adequate but i enjoyed the femme fatale in this movie and the action/humour/storyline was pretty good.Overlong? perhaps especially with the overlong coda following the final shoot out.Yes Nicolais score does disappoint here.

As The Palaces Burn
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:03:11 AM »

Found it floating around in HMV the other day for a fiver so I snapped it up. BARGAIN.

Anyhows, watched it last night with bated breath BUT I enjoyed it much more than I thought. Plot isnt bad but reminded me alot of AFFOD and Yojimbo in places. Can't really justify that claim properly but it was the way Django strolled into town and the town bum explained how he could make some money for himself. Yes...I know...weak...but it just kept springing to mind.

Fight scenes are just as good and physcially demanding as the original Django and its more much more humorus in places. However, what made me laugh the most was how their was a saloon brawl in the opening stages, whereby Django humiliates his woud be assassins (like the original), a mountain top ambush (like the original) and the films climatic moments was in the graveyeard (like the original...AGAIN!) Haha. But it had some cute twists at the end although one could hardly claim it was attempting the same social commentry as Corbucci's.

I dunno about anybody else but my copy was in Italian with subtitles (basically no dubbing). I found that somewhat refreshing BUT was confused as to why the director employed an Italian singer to sing in English if it was never intended for U.S/English marketing.

Also significantly less gory than Corbucci's. I spose I should expected something tame from a film was a 12 rating. I dunno if the post Corbucci 'Django' films were suffering from the originals ban but I found that aspect a little disappointing.   

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:21:59 AM »

I dunno about anybody else but my copy was in Italian with subtitles (basically no dubbing). I found that somewhat refreshing BUT was confused as to why the director employed an Italian singer to sing in English if it was never intended for U.S/English marketing.

Also significantly less gory than Corbucci's. I spose I should expected something tame from a film was a 12 rating. I dunno if the post Corbucci 'Django' films were suffering from the originals ban but I found that aspect a little disappointing.   
Yes my copy only has the Italian audio(with English subs) probably because a print with an English audio has been mislaid by my reckoning.

Offhand i don't think any of the Django "sequels" approach the goryness of Corbucci's original.The ban was only in English speaking markets and i think any filmmaker exploiting the Django moniker saw too many dollar signs to worry about too much about upsetting narrow minded censors.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »

This movie is incorrectly listed as WANTED SABATA in the spaghetti western index.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:12:17 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM