Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 10:50:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Man Called Joe Clifford (Un uomo chiamato Apocalisse Joe)(1971)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Man Called Joe Clifford (Un uomo chiamato Apocalisse Joe)(1971)  (Read 5349 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067912/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/apocalisse_joe.htm

Steffen is an itinerant actor who inherites a gold mine from the uncle but has to fight a gang if villains to get it.
This could have been even better if the finale had been shorter. Also some farcical intrusions could have been dispensed with and made the movie one of the best examples of post 1969 SW which, in my opinion, is the best era for the genre thanx to the mix of no-holds-barred adventure and a heavier touch of irony.  But as it is it can easily make everybody best 50 list and, maybe. somebody best 40. The music by Nicolai is almost top notch, were it not that he comes up with only 2-3 tunes, so being forced to repeat himself. What makes this movie particular is the rehashing of old situations with a touch of inventiveness, ewhich is what popular entertainment is about. Actually I was 2 or 3 times taken by surprise, which doesn't happen very often. And the initial scene, though it shows Steffen at his worst (playing an actor is not his forte) still it will remain impressed in the minds of all the aficionados for the crazy resolution. But almost every scene has a kind of novelty to offer (though sometimes duplicated a pair of scenes later). Absolutely recommended.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067912/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/apocalisse_joe.htm

Steffen is an itinerant actor who inherites a gold mine from the uncle but has to fight a gang if villains to get it.
This could have been even better if the finale had been shorter. Also some farcical intrusions could have been dispensed with and made the movie one of the best examples of post 1969 SW which, in my opinion, is the best era for the genre thanx to the mix of no-holds-barred adventure and a heavier touch of irony.  But as it is it can easily make everybody best 50 list and, maybe. somebody best 40. The music by Nicolai is almost top notch, were it not that he comes up with only 2-3 tunes, so being forced to repeat himself. What makes this movie particular is the rehashing of old situations with a touch of inventiveness, ewhich is what popular entertainment is about. Actually I was 2 or 3 times taken by surprise, which doesn't happen very often. And the initial scene, though it shows Steffen at his worst (playing an actor is not his forte) still it will remain impressed in the minds of all the aficionados for the crazy resolution. But almost every scene has a kind of novelty to offer (though sometimes duplicated a pair of scenes later). Absolutely recommended.

Agree 100% with what Titoli says (is this a first?).

One of the few Steffen films I truly enjoy.
top 50 for sure! Pure popcorn flick with plenty of creative gunfights.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:33:27 AM »

One of the few Steffen films I truly enjoy.
top 50 for sure! Pure popcorn flick with plenty of creative gunfights.
And this dvd has been sitting in my unwatched pile for the last 6 months. Embarrassed

I'll get to it. Afro

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »

You agree that sw's peaked post 1969? Shocked

I don't know about top 50 but i have to agree with much of Titoli's review. The hackneyed plot is  very basic and the finale much too overlong(about half an hour)but  is thankfully rescued by the inventiveness by which Steffen (and his accomplises) dispatch of all the bad guys one by one.

This film also suffers slightly by having its feet in two camps.On the one hand you have humourous sequences like Steffen adopting various disguises like being dressed in drag with a dynamite filled pram but on the other hand there's a deadly serious side with *SPOILER WARNINGS* all Steffen's buddys/women being killed in the finale.I also found Bergs(Fajardo) death by falling into a burning stack of hay laughable when he could've just rolled out.

The Nicolai soundtrack with its Morricone touches was very good not nowhere near varied enough and actually began to grate a bit towards the end.

My rating is an above average 7 out of 10.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »

You agree that sw's peaked post 1969? Shocked

Okay I agree with 99.9% of his post. I think they peaked the year before. After that their were some great films and a lot of good ones but by 69 there were a lot of hacks throwing their two cents around.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »

Nah surely 1966-67! Wink

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 05:28:53 AM »

Here's a review from Arizona Colt:-

A MAN CALLED JOE CLIFFORD 1971 aka UN UOMO CHIAMATO APOCALISSE JOE aka A MAN CALLED APOCALYPSE JOE aka APOCALYPSE JOE

Anthony Steffen (Joe), Eduardo Fajardo (Berg), Fernando Bilbao (Bodo)

Directed by Leopoldo Savona; Music by Bruno Nicolai

Joe Clifford, a Shakespearean street performing gunfighter learns that he has inherited a gold mine from his uncle. He journeys to the town only to find out his dead uncle has gambled the mine away to villain Berg (Fajardo). Soon after, the truth of what really happened is revealed. This sets up a series of action scenes and numerous costume changes from the quirky Joe Clifford. 

Steffen is his usual wooden self seldom coming alive during the film. His various disguises add an unusual dimension to the film but in Steffen's shoes, these caricatures fail to register and do nothing to further the story aside from allowing Steffen to shoot some more bad guys. If Milian had partaken in this role, then he could have done something with the character. Steffen is best suited for stone faced killer roles considering his limited range. Even so, the film is lively enough to be an enjoyable timewaster.

Fajardo is always reliable as a villain and he is suitably creepy as his makeup makes him look most devilish with his frazzled hair and evil grin. One scene has Berg capture Clifford who manages to slip the villains grasp by threatening to blow himself and everyone else up with dynamite. After the bad guys hurriedly exit the barn, Berg sends them all back in proclaiming Clifford surely wouldn't blow himself up as well. Berg, however, chooses to remain outside...just in case.

Bilbao (Bodo) is one of many henchmen of Berg. He is a big burly lug reminiscent of both Bud Spencer and Lyle Alzado with his bushy hair. He gives lots of problems to Clifford over the films running time. He and Steffen have a nice brawl inside a saloon where Bodo introduces Clifford to the various tables and chairs as well as just tossing him around the room like a sack of potatoes.

The movie is basically a series of shoot outs and comic book set pieces in which Berg's men set out to kill Clifford who uses his far too sophisticated skills to one up them every time. Berg wants the gold mine and does everything he can to get Clifford to sign it over to him. The extended and drawn out final gun battle between Berg and his gang taking on Clifford and the Doc is energetic and for the most part, exciting. It alternates between a serious action sequence and a Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes short. Steffen and Fajardo must have had a friendly working relationship as they also appeared together in TRAIN FOR DURANGO (1968), ARRIVA SABATA! (1970), SHANGO (1970), GENTLEMAN KILLER (1967), RINGO-FACE OF REVENGE (1967) and A COFFIN FOR THE SHERIFF (1965). The two performers obviously had a lot of fun doing this movie and it shows in the action scenes on the screen.

The score by Nicolai is good; suitably rousing and suspenseful when it need be. With Morricone totally changing the way western film scores would be done and heard, it left little room for other composers to be recognized outside of Italy. Nicolai could surely stand with Morricone as one of the great composers of the spaghetti western genre.

With the well choreographed and protracted 20+ minute finale being the major highlight, it is enough to recommend this movie to fans. The production must have been given a bit more money than usual considering there are some big explosions and the finale adds a little bit more depth than usual even if it is kind of cartoonish, it's better than guys hiding behind barrels firing back and forth at each other. APOCALYPSE JOE is worth the time for its inventiveness and to Steffen fans who want to see him attempt something different.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM