Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:07:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Apocalypse Now (1979)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apocalypse Now (1979)  (Read 18010 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »

Has anyone here picked the new DVD up? I've been hearing a lot of complaints about it. Is it worth getting? Please post your opinions. Thanks!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 12:21:37 AM »

the only thing worth complaining about that I  know of, is that the dvd doesnt contain the hearts of darkness docu.
it has both the original cut and the redux version. so you can watch wichever one you like.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »

the only thing worth complaining about that I  know of, is that the dvd doesnt contain the hearts of darkness docu.
it has both the original cut and the redux version. so you can watch wichever one you like.

I have both the original release version and redux plus "Hearts of Darkness". That means I don't have to buy the complete dossier.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:59:56 AM »

Complaints? Most of the complaints I've heard are the usual "Not in it's OAR" and where's Hearts of Darkness.
 The OAR question is a good point but Hearts of Darkness is curently being actively pursued by Criterion for release but Coppola is dragging his heels as he feels like it shows his in a bad light.

The package itself is rather good (my third version of Apocalypse Now I own on DVD). The post-production featurettes are fascinating, the deleted scenes are a (more then) welcome addition to the package and the presentation of the two films is good (bar the OAR)

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:10:50 PM »

what is the new AR?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »

OAR is Original Aspect Ratio, Apocalypse Now (and Redux) was originally shown in the scope ratio of 2.35 : 1 in 35mm and 2.20 : 1 in the 70 mm prints. On it's release to DVD the DP Vittorio Storaro requested that it only be shown in a ratio close to 2.00:1 keeping most of the widescreen but removing as much of the black bars visible on 4:3 TV's, they kept that aspect Ratio for the recent release generating a howl of disapoval by the fans of the film wishing to see it in the scope.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:08:27 AM by Leone Admirer » Logged

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:23:36 PM »

I got it recently and I enjoy it. Doesn't Storaro shoot his films like Kubrick does so that if the aspect ratio changes to accomodate different screens you never really lose relevant information? Go to http://www.storarovittorio.com/inglese/index.html and click on the "Univisium" link. If you click on it a second time while at that particular page you get page 2 of the article.

I think the commentary track and the new deleted scenes were worth it. Coppola never stops talking. You usually don't get these kind of packages for $20, so I don't see any reason to complain. The other documentaries and featurettes were quite enjoyable too, especially the story of the intro sequence and the various post-production interviews/clips. I haven't seen Heart of Darkness, so I don't know how it compares.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:45:02 PM »

I have the old apoc now dvd, it's also 2.00:1

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 05:12:36 AM »

I got it recently and I enjoy it. Doesn't Storaro shoot his films like Kubrick does so that if the aspect ratio changes to accomodate different screens you never really lose relevant information? Go to http://www.storarovittorio.com/inglese/index.html and click on the "Univisium" link. If you click on it a second time while at that particular page you get page 2 of the article.

He certainly shoots his most recent films with that in mind but I don't think he did for Apocalypse Now and if you compare the theatrical trailer for Redux (not found in this release) and the Feature presentation there is quite a loss of infomation on each side. Also the decision for this use of Univisium was taken during the laserdisc era, when widescreen TV's weren't common place and Coppola and Storaro wanted to show the film in a widescreen ration but with less bars thus this idea was put forward and permitted.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »

So you guy's think I should pick up the Dossier? I only have the Redux.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 09:12:53 PM »

Just buy the fucking thing.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 12:13:57 AM »

I would if I were you, I like the original cut better.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:41 AM »

The Complete Dossier is a great package. I own it, and I don't even like the movie so much. Hearts of Darkness ain't gona get released cos Coppola doesn't want it released. The big reason that I can see, is that he says he thinks the scene with the french familiy owned plantation is just fat, since he made Redux, I'm sure he wants taht remark stricken from the record. Hearts of Darkness also shows him having a nervious breakdown, and Brando doing whatever he wants (which is totally worth watching for, even if it's only for like 5 minutes).

Anyway. all the DVDs of AN is the 2.00:1 ratio, since that is the OAR, the 2:35:1 I imagine was to acomodate theratrical releases, which happens all the time. Kubrick's film were shown in widesceen in theaters, like The Shinning and Full Metal Jacket.

The image quality is great, and 2 different commentaries. It's not anywhere near "complete" since it's also missing the Cannes Press Conference, which is on a region 2 release.

One huge thing though, each version of the film is split between both discs. They cut right after they kill the vietnamese on the boat, and take their puppy. Although I don't know where the Redux splits, I'm guessing it's from the same place. If that's a problem, then stick with the original releases. Even though that split did piss me off, it's nothing like the split in Once Upon a Time in America, which is horrible.

And it's only for $15, atleast when I bought it. Can't go wrong with that.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »

Just buy the fucking thing.

hahahaahaha relax friend. I'm probably gonna buy it. I just like to hear what the fans of the movie have to say.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 03:30:38 PM »

The Complete Dossier is a great package. I own it, and I don't even like the movie so much. Hearts of Darkness ain't gona get released cos Coppola doesn't want it released. The big reason that I can see, is that he says he thinks the scene with the french familiy owned plantation is just fat, since he made Redux, I'm sure he wants taht remark stricken from the record. Hearts of Darkness also shows him having a nervious breakdown, and Brando doing whatever he wants (which is totally worth watching for, even if it's only for like 5 minutes).

Anyway. all the DVDs of AN is the 2.00:1 ratio, since that is the OAR, the 2:35:1 I imagine was to acomodate theratrical releases, which happens all the time. Kubrick's film were shown in widesceen in theaters, like The Shinning and Full Metal Jacket.

The image quality is great, and 2 different commentaries. It's not anywhere near "complete" since it's also missing the Cannes Press Conference, which is on a region 2 release.

One huge thing though, each version of the film is split between both discs. They cut right after they kill the vietnamese on the boat, and take their puppy. Although I don't know where the Redux splits, I'm guessing it's from the same place. If that's a problem, then stick with the original releases. Even though that split did piss me off, it's nothing like the split in Once Upon a Time in America, which is horrible.

And it's only for $15, atleast when I bought it. Can't go wrong with that.

Are you sure 2.00:1 was the OAR? Everyone else says otherwise, that 2.35 was the original, but it was cropped to 2.00:1 for the home releases.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM