Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 12:34:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Which of these Morricone western colloborations do you like the most?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Well?
Sergio Corbucci
Sergio Sollima
Giuliano Petroni

Author Topic: Which of these Morricone western colloborations do you like the most?  (Read 3121 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »

Corbucci for me Cool To me The Great Silence is as good as anything he has done with Leone, and used with taste by Corbucci.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »

Corbucci also TGS, TM, VAMC.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:57:08 PM »

A tie between Petroni and Corbucci (so I won't vote).

I won't mention the obvious selections from the Morricone/Corbucci shelf.

The collaboration between Petroni and Morricone is well known for just one film score ("Death Rides a Horse") however the masterful film score for Petroni's "Life is Tough, eh Providence?" is one of Morricone's best from the genre.
The film ain't bad either.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 06:22:59 AM »

Much of Morricones music in Corbucci's Great Silence,The Mercenary and Companeros are amongst my favourites of his compositions,BUT  if we are discussing the above mentioned collaborations then we must not only take into account the films with the great soundtracks but also the ones with the not so great scores,and the music provided for the likes of Navajo Joe,Hellbenders,What Am I Doing In The Middle Of The Revolution and Sonny & Jed in my opinion aren't quite up to the standard of the other three i mentioned.
    I voted for the Morricone/Solima collaboration for the 3 films they did together because they all consistently of a very high standard. Wink

Tim
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:04:13 AM »

Well, I'll jump on the bandwagon and go with Corbucci.  Morricone's score for TGS ranks up there with his best Leone scores IMO, and as already pointed out, The Mercenary is highly enjoyable.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:22:53 PM »

I voted for the Morricone/Solima collaboration for the 3 films they did together because they all consistently of a very high standard. Wink
As much as I like his score for TBG (including the supposed "annoying" title theme) and RMR, I cannot stand his score for "Face To Face".

As far as "Navajo Joe"'s score...I would say that ranks up there with Morricone's best and most recognisable of the genre.

The scores for the others mentioned ("what am I doing...?" and "Sonny and Jed") are small works but quirky. Anything other than the title themes are filler.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:11 AM »

We'll have to differ over Sollima's films because both scores for FTF and TBG are magnificent in my books.Certainly there is tons of variety in both soundtracks whereas in both Companeros and Great Silence there is very little variety.The Mercenary is Morricones strongest and most  interesting score for a Corbucci film.   
   A good case could also be made for the Petroni collaboration also being more consistent than for Corbucci's films as the soundtracks for Death Rides A Horse,Tepepa and Providence are all great.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 07:38:42 PM »

.The Mercenary is Morricones strongest and most  interesting score for a Corbucci film.   

I'm not so sure about that one Banjo...

The title theme is the only noteworthy peice of music in "The Mercenary". Luckily it's one of Morricone's best.

The rest is standard mexican music.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 05:57:02 AM »

I don't think so because most of it is (using Cigar Joes description) separate leitmotifs for the different characters which aren't really mexican flavoured like the title theme fiesta music is.
Personally i think the bullring arena piece is as good as anything Morricone has done Smiley

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 06:15:37 AM »

Its Corbucci for me to.  Personally, although a bit repetitive, I love the Hellbenders music.  And Companeros, Mercenary and Great Silence are right up there with Morricone's best.  I also really love the Navajo Joe music

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

Personally i think the bullring arena piece is as good as anything Morricone has done Smiley

Agreed but that is just the main title theme.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 11:41:59 PM »

Compaņeros and Il Mercenario get my vote.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM