Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:09:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lawman (1971)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lawman (1971)  (Read 20683 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 04:52:57 PM »

AMC consistently shows Westerns on Saturday Mornings into the early afternoon these are in the rotation quite a bit lately, no SW other than Eastwood/Leone, not many late  60's or 70-80 Westerns at all.

The Appaloosa  (1966) TVPG
Starring: Marlon Brando, Anjanette Comer, John Saxon. More Info    

River of No Return  (1954) TVPG
Starring: Robert Mitchum, Marilyn Monroe, Rory Calhoun. 

Comanche Territory  (1950) TVPG
Starring: Maureen O'Hara, Macdonald Carey, Will Geer.   

Rio Bravo  (1959) TVPG
Starring: John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky 

The Night Riders  (1939) TVG
Starring: John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune.

The Shepherd of the Hills  (1941) TVPG
Starring: John Wayne, Betty Field, Harry Carey.

Pony Soldier  (1952) TVPG
Starring: Tyrone Power, Cameron Mitchell, Thomas Gomez.   

Kansas Raiders  (1950) TVPG
Starring: Audie Murphy, Brian Donlevy, Marguerite Chapman.   

Broken Trail  (2006) TV14
Starring: Robert Duvall, Thomas Haden Church, Greta Scacchi.

Open Range  (2003) TV14

My Darling Clementine  (1946) TVPG
Starring: Henry Fonda, Linda Darnell, Victor Mature.

The Dark Command  (1940) TVPG
Starring: John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Walter Pidgeon.

Backlash  (1956) TVPG
Starring: Richard Widmark, Donna Reed, William Campbell.

The Comancheros  (1961) TVPG
Starring: John Wayne, Stuart Whitman, Lee Marvin. 

Bend of the River  (1952) TVPG
Starring: James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Rock Hudson.

Santa Fe Stampede  (1938) TVPG
Starring: John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune.

Pony Soldier  (1952) TVPG
Starring: Tyrone Power, Cameron Mitchell, Thomas Gomez.

Law and Order  (1953) TVPG
Starring: Ronald Reagan, Dorothy Malone, Alex Nicol.

Walk the Proud Land  (1956) TVPG
Starring: Audie Murphy, Anne Bancroft, Pat Crowley.

The Searchers  (1956) TVPG
Starring: John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Natalie Wood.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:55:36 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »

It's a really poor program, I tell you.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »

You are right. We deserve better.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2008, 03:56:13 AM »

Watch it again, are you sure you watched the same film, Tuco Harmonica?

The cast is top notch, almost every minor character is a good actor, the sets are cramed full of details, every interior is loaded with interesting stuff, Winner has a very nice balance between the exterior landscapes, characters and interior shots. The cinnematographer is not Tonnio Delli Colli but its not bad at all.  I noticed this time around shots similar to Leone's where the camera had something between it and the actors in a few shots ie., spokes of a wagon wheel during the final gundown. Its now in my top twenty.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 04:49:31 PM »

Actually he was on the verge of changing from a jerkoff to a human being, it was right after he and Sheree Noth "found" each other again. He was leaving town, letting go of his obsession with the law. Sheree North had all her stuff packed in the wagon and was ready to leave with him,  he just didn't get out of town fast enough, and when Bronson and his men confronted him he reverted back to Lawman.

Watch it again you must have missed that part.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:51:45 PM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:08 AM »

Doesn't Lancaster provoke the violence in the movie's final scene anyways?

I'd have to pop in the DVD again to tell you for sure.  But doesn't Lancaster tell Robert Ryan in the sheriff's office that he through and that he's heading back without taking in the rest of the culprits, right before he goes out into the street?

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »

I've seen Lawman once or twice.  Probably not as much as some and it's been a while.  I don't think the Lancaster character instigates the violence in the conclusion of the film.  Not his actions in the end anyway.  He delivers Duvall to Robert Ryan, and tells the Ryan character that he's going to leave well enough alone and leave town.  It seems after his night with Sheree North, he's really had to confront the regret in his personal life.  But it's too late.  The town has been agitated and Cobb comes with his men.  Lancaster attempts to ride out, and one of the merchants attempts to shoot him in the back.  Someone shoots the merchant and Lancaster is drawn into a confrontation with Cobb and his men.

I guess I didn't think of Lancaster as a jerk off.  He sees things very black and white.  Perhaps to a degree a lawman had to be that way in those times.  It actually makes his character more interesting and also flawed, instead of having an overly righteous good guy coming into town to serve justice.   I think the film was interesting because typically the Lee J. Cobb character (the baron that owns everything is typically the heartless villain).  Cobb's character is sympathetic.  He had no idea nor did he condone the violence of his men that resulted in the death in the other town.  He seems to want to resolve the conflict without further violence or death.  Because the Cobb character is depicted this way, it definitely provides a different kind of contrast to the Lancaster role.  Maybe highlights how his inability to see things outside the letter of the law, and his own rigid personal code, has prevented him from being nothing more than a lawman.

In the end, North's cowardly man runs away from the scene.  Lancaster reverts back seeming to accept that it's too late for him, maybe disgusted that a coward has everything that he would want, shoots him in the back.  In a way he finally lets his emotions get the best of him,  he sees things through his rigid standard of what a man should be, and ironically in the process seems to violate the letter of the law by gunning the guy down that way. His act seems to be symbolic of his inability to serve his idea of the law and his own personal code and personal life.   That he shoots North's man, I didn't take it as a sign that the Lancaster character wasn't sincere about wanting to change.  I think the film shares that theme of personal regret with other westerns. The character wants a different life but the way of the time period, circumstances or passage of actual time have them convinced it's impossible.  I think you see that in The Magnificent Seven a bit with Chris, Vin and Bernardo....you see that with Will Penny....I think you see that in Harmonica and Cheyenne in OUATITW...and others.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »

Michael Winner: Somebody please take that man's zoom lens away from him.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »

, Winner is a not a good director.

I think he's wonderful when doing mindless garbage

Death Wish 2, 3

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »

Watched the dvd. I don't think is as good as Ulzana's Raid, but it is one of the best westerns of the '70's anyway. The movie is remarkable because people are thrown in a situation from which they could deliver themselves easily (and Lancaster tells it in plain words that the circuit judge who'd be in charge of the case can be easily bought off), but for different reasons all the characters (including Lancaster himself) do  not choose the easiest course which is to follow Lancaster to his towns and stand trial. The reasons for this behaviour are not contrived but believable and that's what makes the movie good, apart from the other particulars noted by CJ. The OST is mediocre, but the performances of Lancaster, Cobb and Ryan (I rank him with Mitchum and Bogart as my all-time american favourite actor: here one can see why) are great in delineating rounded characters. 9\10     

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »

The new Cinema Retro (Volume 5: Issue #14) has an interview with screenwriter Gerry Wilson, titled "Back Off, Lawman." He speaks about the two Michael Winner films made from his scripts, Lawman and Chato's Land. Very interesting reading.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 02:10:14 AM »

Rewatched Lawman recently

Interesting story

Pretensious dialogues

Great cast with lots of familiar faces

Robert Ryan is outstanding

A tired Burt Lancaster with an astonishingly weak performance, his only weak one in a western

Winner's directing does not help the film, does not hurt it either

The alternative bad end (if it really exists) would be a great mistake

Ambitious but only partially succeeding

6/10 (but only on a good day)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:39 AM »

The alternative bad end (if it really exists) would be a great mistake
Tell me more. I have no idea what you are referring to.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »

Someone claimed to have seen Lawman once with an alternative end, in which Lancaster got shot in the back by his ex- lover while riding away.

Not sure if this really is true. It would have been a bad melodramatic ending anyway, and far more conventional than the one we have.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

Gerry Wilson doesn't say anything about that in the interview I referenced above. Of course, sometimes the writer doesn't know everything about a film he has written. There's a Samuel Taylor interview from the late 80s in which he swears up and down there was no alternate ending to Vertigo, and yet it's on all the home video releases after 1997 as an extra. Taylor didn't know about it cause he didn't write it and it didn't make the final U.S. cut, but it was shot and it was on some European cuts of the film. So Wilson could similarly not know about an alternate ending that Winner shot for Lawman. But, gee, how come no one else knows about this? I think the Cinema Retro interviewer would have brought the matter up if for no other reason than to get Wilson's take on it. But there's nothing about it in the article . . .

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM